3.7/163 - chances with military service?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
NavyLaw

3.7/163 - chances with military service?

Postby NavyLaw » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:48 pm

Wondering if anyone had any insight in to my application prospects. My scores above are very low for a T10 school, however wanted some insight to see if my "softs" can make up for it. I have a Masters in Nuclear Engineering (4.0, went part time) , undergrad Mechanical Engineering from a top state school, and finishing up 5 years active duty military service as a naval officer.

Any thoughts on my chances with the above? Do I absolutely need to take another shot at the LSATs? I'd appreciate any feedback, thanks.

tourdeforcex

Re: 3.7/163 - chances with military service?

Postby tourdeforcex » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:16 pm

you have some chance. definitely not an absolute thing.

you don't absolutely need to retake LSAT but it will be recommended (esp by TLS). otherwise, you have a stellar app. do you feel you can push that LSAT score up 4 or 5 points?

search for anecdotal evidence of past candidates on TLS and lawschoolnumbers.com

hope this helps.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:07 am

tourdeforcex wrote:you have some chance. definitely not an absolute thing.

you don't absolutely need to retake LSAT but it will be recommended (esp by TLS). otherwise, you have a stellar app. do you feel you can push that LSAT score up 4 or 5 points?

search for anecdotal evidence of past candidates on TLS and lawschoolnumbers.com

hope this helps.

Ignore this post. With a 163/3.7 op is out at any t14 school.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:52 am

OP, if you can increase that to a 168, one of the T14s will bite. However, it would be unpredictable - it could be anything from Cornell to possibly (and I do mean possibly) Berkeley. With your current score, you would have trouble getting any of the more selective, non-T20 schools in the T50.

NavyLaw

Postby NavyLaw » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:42 pm

I think I'm going to take the exam again. 163 was in line with my last few practice tests, but granted I only spent about a month studying. I think I can eek out a few more points.

Any ideas on how GPA is considered (ie do they take into account your major or grad school GPA, or is it strictly by the undergrad GPA numbers)?

Thanks for the insight.

tourdeforcex

Postby tourdeforcex » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:13 pm

Any ideas on how GPA is considered (ie do they take into account your major or grad school GPA, or is it strictly by the undergrad GPA numbers)?

it seems to be strictly UG GPA, as that is what they report.

consider a 4.0 in a master's program a great soft though.

M&A621

Postby M&A621 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:36 pm

FiveSermon wrote:

hope this helps.

I'd like to know where you pulled this stat fact from. :shock:
Last edited by M&A621 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:40 pm

M&A621 wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:

hope this helps.

I'd like to know where you pulled this stat from. :shock:

http://www.google.com

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:43 pm

M&A621 wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:

hope this helps.

I'd like to know where you pulled this stat fact from. :shock:

I said op. You are a urm. Count your blessings for URM status and enjoy some t14 acceptances.

M&A621

Postby M&A621 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:46 pm

lawschoollll wrote:
M&A621 wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:

hope this helps.

I'd like to know where you pulled this stat from. :shock:

http://www.google.com

Saying things like "with xxx LSAT score and xxx GPA, you won't get into x law school" is very flammatory language, especially on message forums like these. Every cycle is different, and numbers are not law (literally), when it comes to law school admissions.

I know one kid who didn't apply to his school of choice last year because he said "TLS said I had no chance, blah, blah" that's just absurd. I say blanket apply where you choose and let the dice roll. Really? He can't get into ANY Top 14 w/ a 163/3.7? That's not a fact, sure the numbers aren't in his favor, but don't just rule it out is all I'm saying.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:47 pm

I'm not in the business of recommending miracles.

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:52 pm

Yale has let in sub-160 LSAT scorers. Anything is possible, unless you don't try.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:53 pm

Lawl Shcool wrote:Yale has let in sub-160 LSAT scorers. Anything is possible, unless you don't try.

That guy was a super legacy. OP has no such softs.

M&A621

Postby M&A621 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:17 pm

OP blanket apply to the Top 15 schools, and see which ones bite. And if Cornell, Michigan, or UCLA bite, enjoy that Yellow Ribbon Program benefit of going to law school practically for free... while receiving E5 w/ Dep BAH. Thank you for serving bro (from a fellow veteran/come December). 8)

M&A out.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:18 pm

M&A621 wrote:OP blanket apply to the Top 15 schools, and see which ones bite. And if Cornell, Michigan, or UCLA bite, enjoy that Yellow Ribbon Program benefit of going to law school practically for free... while receiving E5 w/ Dep BAH. Thank you for serving bro (from a fellow veteran/come December). 8)

M&A out.

This is dumb advice.

ThomasMN

Postby ThomasMN » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:26 pm

I would retake the LSAT, I am a vet with a 3.92 GPA and a 165 LSAT and I am retaking. That being said, A lot of people on this forum board have done zero digging into the boost given to veterans into admissions, which makes sense given the fact that 99.9% of the people on this forum board are not veterans. From what I can tell, and it can be a bit difficult given that LSN doesn't have a button for "veteran" on top of the fact that not all "veterans" are created equally. Your being an officer is a big plus, I was a staff sergeant in the Army as infantry and served in Iraq, Afghanistan, and all over Europe. That all being said, from what I can tell being a veteran, especially an officer or combat veteran, is a pretty big boost in the admissions process, even if that boost might not be quite equal to that of some URMs. Although, LSN has an example of a combat veteran with a 164 LSAT getting into Stanford. Think of it as a soft that can get you into a school when you might be in the bottom 20% of their number range.

ThomasMN

Postby ThomasMN » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:53 pm

I am also an example of what one should not do. I practically took the LSAT cold, I had two full practice tests and some random quizzing. Just take a couple of months to get prepped and you will do a lot better.

Return to “What are my chances?”