3.83 biology major / 173 LSAT...which schools?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
cerralis

3.83 biology major / 173 LSAT...which schools?

Postby cerralis » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:54 am

Hello,
I'm currently an undergrad at a top 5 liberal arts college, considering applying to law school in the next few years (interested in intellectual property law in the biotechnology field).
Although I haven't taken the actual LSAT yet, I've taken a couple of practice tests and scored between 173-176. I scored 2380/2400 on the SAT, for anyone who believes that could be an indicator of actual LSAT performance. I consider myself strong in both the humanities (writing, in particular) and sciences. Though I still have a year of undergrad left, my main concerns are about 'soft' factors. My extracurriculars consist of extensive laboratory research experience (including international experience) and two on-campus jobs. I'm pretty sure my letters of rec will be good, but nothing really expresses a particular inclination towards law. Which schools should I be looking at? Columbia, UChicago?

KeepitKind

Re: 3.83 biology major / 173 LSAT...which schools?

Postby KeepitKind » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:09 am

wa waaa.. retake

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:18 am

Standard advice is to get an actual score first and then come back for questions. If you hit 173+ with that GPA (and from a top UG no less) you should be aiming Y/H/S. The higher the LSAT the better chances though of course. CCN should pretty much be a lock if you have that GPA with 173+.

cerralis

Postby cerralis » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:23 am

Lawquacious wrote:Standard advice is to get an actual score first and then come back for questions. If you hit 173+ with that GPA (and from a top UG no less) you should be aiming Y/H/S. The higher the LSAT the better chances though of course. CCN should pretty much be a lock if you have that GPA with 173+.

Thanks-- I'm planning on taking the LSAT this September, once I'm actually back in the States. I guess the main thing I'm worried about is my lack of "interest" in law school on my resume..but hopefully numbers (if I can actually perform well on the LSAT) can make up for that?

HowdyYall

Postby HowdyYall » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am

cerralis wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:Standard advice is to get an actual score first and then come back for questions. If you hit 173+ with that GPA (and from a top UG no less) you should be aiming Y/H/S. The higher the LSAT the better chances though of course. CCN should pretty much be a lock if you have that GPA with 173+.

Thanks-- I'm planning on taking the LSAT this September, once I'm actually back in the States. I guess the main thing I'm worried about is my lack of "interest" in law school on my resume..but hopefully numbers (if I can actually perform well on the LSAT) can make up for that?

yes, id take 2 points more on the LSAT instead of a legal internship/prelaw society anyday. dont worry, that biology major makes you a unique candidate, just maybe tie it in with a sentence in your PS and you should be golden

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:34 am

take the real lsat and get back to me homie

cerralis

Postby cerralis » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:54 am

Great, thank you all for your advice! Sorry for the premature post, I'll come back once I actually have a score in hand. I guess I'll focus on maintaining my GPA + studying for the LSAT, and hoping that being a female science major makes me something of a unique applicant.

fltanglab

Postby fltanglab » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:18 am

HowdyYall wrote:
cerralis wrote:

yes, id take 2 points more on the LSAT instead of a legal internship/prelaw society anyday. dont worry, that biology major makes you a unique candidate, just maybe tie it in with a sentence in your PS and you should be golden

Does being a science major really have any kind of impact? I am a science/English double major, science/arts double minor, but I never really thought of my major/minor choices as a factor at all.

ldo5014

Postby ldo5014 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:15 am

fltanglab wrote:
HowdyYall wrote:
cerralis wrote:

Does being a science major really have any kind of impact? I am a science/English double major, science/arts double minor, but I never really thought of my major/minor choices as a factor at all.

You say it yourself in your profile that your GPA is low due to the science courses you took. If someone is keeping a humanities GPA in a hard science or engineering, law schools may see that as a good soft. Also, there are much fewer people applying to law school with 3.8+ hard science GPA's than there are people with 3.8+ liberal arts/humanities GPA's.

Return to “What are my chances?”