3.89/159

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mrmediocrity

3.89/159

Postby mrmediocrity » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:06 pm

3.89 LSAC gpa in Electrical Engineering. Currently finishing masters, plan to go into intellectual property law. I'm in Dallas and am leaning towards SMU. Would like opinions on my situation.

My first diagnostic I scored a 152, and then PT's have been around 162, I think I got a 167 on one. 159 on first real Feb. LSAT.

tothePAIN

Re: 3.89/159

Postby tothePAIN » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:08 pm

You'll see this a lot but retake the LSAT.

You have an excellent GPA in a difficult major. If you've read this site a little bit, you've seen that the LSAT is an extremely learnable test. Raising your LSAT to a 170 would get you into top 20 schools and probably lead to a full ride to SMU.

Edit: How much studying did you do for the LSAT?

mrmediocrity

Postby mrmediocrity » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:42 pm

Yes. I have been lurking and having trouble making a completely unbiased judgement. When I got my score back, I had no idea what to feel.

I began studying for the LSAT a couple of years ago and decided not to take the LSAT at that time. I picked up really prepping for it again 3 months before the Feb. test. I planned on only taking this once from everything I read and researched, especially with how my coursework is this semester I didn't want to balance LSAT prep with finals for the June test.

I think I am just trying to honestly assess if I can actually make that large of a score improvement.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:50 pm

mrmediocrity wrote:Yes. I have been lurking and having trouble making a completely unbiased judgement. When I got my score back, I had no idea what to feel.

I began studying for the LSAT a couple of years ago and decided not to take the LSAT at that time. I picked up really prepping for it again 3 months before the Feb. test. I planned on only taking this once from everything I read and researched, especially with how my coursework is this semester I didn't want to balance LSAT prep with finals for the June test.

I think I am just trying to honestly assess if I can actually make that large of a score improvement.

When are you planning to apply? Have you already applied? If you already applied I'd wait it out and see what happens, you might be suprised. If not and you are applying next fall, take the October test. This way, you have plenty of time to study, and if you don't do much better you'll still have a (hopefully) better score in time to apply in November. I have roughly the same score as you, but a little higher GPA in a science degree. I applied to my pick of schools and was generally pleased with the results; however, I have a lot of great softs and quasi-URM status. If you are URM or have accomplished a lot (not just the head of a club or something, good softs) I'd say you'll be fine. Otherwise, you should probably retake.

EDIT: Just noticed you're getting a Master's. I'm getting a Master's right now, too. I have found that is a good soft to have.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:54 pm

Yeah, retake, if you were able to school EE, figure out the test and get it done.

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am

tothePAIN wrote:You'll see this a lot but retake the LSAT.

You have an excellent GPA in a difficult major. If you've read this site a little bit, you've seen that the LSAT is an extremely learnable test. Raising your LSAT to a 170 would get you into top 2010 schools and probably lead to a full ride to SMU.

Edit: How much studying did you do for the LSAT?

fixed

mrmediocrity

Postby mrmediocrity » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:18 am

I think I was expecting the retake, I just had to ask to really convince myself.

I plan on entering law school in Fall 2012, would the October test still allow me to get all my early apps in time?

I'm actually purchasing the logic games bible this time, I know that was my biggest weakness, I ended up having to blind guess on at least 8 questions on that Feb Test. I am somewhat opposed to the idea of taking a test prep course because I feel like if I can't muster the willpower to prep for the test I shouldn't be at law school anyway. The October test seems so far away, would trying to prep for June really be unreasonable? I have finals, papers, projects due in early May. Next semester I have four graduate courses and would be entering the equivalent of midterms cycle in October I think so I'm having trouble really seeing which date is most prudent.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:05 pm

mrmediocrity wrote:I think I was expecting the retake, I just had to ask to really convince myself.

I plan on entering law school in Fall 2012, would the October test still allow me to get all my early apps in time?

I'm actually purchasing the logic games bible this time, I know that was my biggest weakness, I ended up having to blind guess on at least 8 questions on that Feb Test. I am somewhat opposed to the idea of taking a test prep course because I feel like if I can't muster the willpower to prep for the test I shouldn't be at law school anyway. The October test seems so far away, would trying to prep for June really be unreasonable? I have finals, papers, projects due in early May. Next semester I have four graduate courses and would be entering the equivalent of midterms cycle in October I think so I'm having trouble really seeing which date is most prudent.

December seems like it would be too hard because of finals, so I think a June test, or even an Oct test would be timely. I had this exact same dilemma last fall when I took the LSAT. I studied from June to October for the Oct 2010 test, about 15 or so hours a week. I had a full load of grad classes, an assistantship, and I had an unanticipated family tragedy four days before my test. As a result of the family thing I couldn't think, got a migraine during the test, I guessed on about 10 questions and got a 157 :(. But I got my score around the end of Oct, and applied in early Nov. My cycle is now over and I'm choosing between several T1 options for the fall (look at my profile for details). There is hope, just put everything you have into it. It can drain you, but it's possible.

Return to “What are my chances?”