.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: 3.8x 168

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:13 pm

handlesthetruth wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:Michigan is definitely possible for you with your 168 if you ED and put together a great application (research the school a lot before you apply and make your app as Michigan- centric as possible), but it would be more of a lock with a higher LSAT. People with your #s and lower get in ED on a regular basis.


That's really encouraging! Are my numbers such that EDing to an MVP (in my case M, of course) makes sense?

right now? yes. i'd definitely go with M since it sounds like it's your first choice. unless you have a high 3.8 you won't get V because you don't hit one of their medians. and Penn is just picky because they have a smaller class size and are a bit snootier about certain things (for instance, they love them some ivy league UGers)

but, just like others have said before, if you are looking for $$$ at schools, do not ED at all.

User avatar
handlesthetruth
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:42 pm

.

Postby handlesthetruth » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:05 pm

.
Last edited by handlesthetruth on Thu May 26, 2011 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: 3.8x 168

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:10 am

handlesthetruth wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:but, just like others have said before, if you are looking for $$$ at schools, do not ED at all.


that's the issue. it would be tough for me to think i might be throwing away full rides from a t-25 or two..

especially when I would, in the event umich denied me RD, still likely have the option of a t-14 at sticker: cornell.

cornell/michigan...is there much difference in those 4-5 spots in ranking? I'm not really going for biglaw in a huge city; ideal siutation for me is biglaw in a smaller big city (Minneapolis, boston, nashville, indy, etc.)


cornell actually blew the competition away in the NLJ250 rankings this year, placing like 58% of its class into biglaw, 2nd place behind chicago. HOWEVER, the norm for cornell is about 40% and the wacked out #s probably have something to do with the combination of a small class size and an unstable economy (NY is the fastest recovering market so there could lie the disconnect.) the norm for michigan is about 47%*** i think, but michigan also places more into academia/clerkships than cornell i believe. michigan is very marginally better, but not to the point where you should regret having to pay sticker at cornell when you COULD HAVE (theoretically) been paying sticker at michigan if you ED'd.

however, cornell feeds heavily into NYC biglaw, so if you aren't interested in that i'd rethink paying sticker at any t14. if it helps, my #s are 167/3.95 and i got a full ride + stipend at UMN. i am a resident, though. you would most definitely get money at a t25, probably even a few full rides. it sounds like your best bet is to drop ED with the realization that you may not break into the t10 because of it. it sounds like you would be better off taking $$ at UMN, U of I, BC, BU, hell Vandy might even throw $$ your way (but i wouldn't count on it.) if you don't ED, make suuuuuure you apply very early to lock in Cornell and/or GULC. that way if you change your mind and decide it's t14 or bust you still have some options.


***ETA: i should say, the norm for michigan in this shitty economy. normally it's much higher and will probably be on the rise in the coming years

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: 3.8x 168

Postby FiveSermon » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:41 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:
handlesthetruth wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:but, just like others have said before, if you are looking for $$$ at schools, do not ED at all.


that's the issue. it would be tough for me to think i might be throwing away full rides from a t-25 or two..

especially when I would, in the event umich denied me RD, still likely have the option of a t-14 at sticker: cornell.

cornell/michigan...is there much difference in those 4-5 spots in ranking? I'm not really going for biglaw in a huge city; ideal siutation for me is biglaw in a smaller big city (Minneapolis, boston, nashville, indy, etc.)


cornell actually blew the competition away in the NLJ250 rankings this year, placing like 58% of its class into biglaw, 2nd place behind chicago. HOWEVER, the norm for cornell is about 40% and the wacked out #s probably have something to do with the combination of a small class size and an unstable economy (NY is the fastest recovering market so there could lie the disconnect.) the norm for michigan is about 47%*** i think, but michigan also places more into academia/clerkships than cornell i believe. michigan is very marginally better, but not to the point where you should regret having to pay sticker at cornell when you COULD HAVE (theoretically) been paying sticker at michigan if you ED'd.

however, cornell feeds heavily into NYC biglaw, so if you aren't interested in that i'd rethink paying sticker at any t14. if it helps, my #s are 167/3.95 and i got a full ride + stipend at UMN. i am a resident, though. you would most definitely get money at a t25, probably even a few full rides. it sounds like your best bet is to drop ED with the realization that you may not break into the t10 because of it. it sounds like you would be better off taking $$ at UMN, U of I, BC, BU, hell Vandy might even throw $$ your way (but i wouldn't count on it.) if you don't ED, make suuuuuure you apply very early to lock in Cornell and/or GULC. that way if you change your mind and decide it's t14 or bust you still have some options.


***ETA: i should say, the norm for michigan in this shitty economy. normally it's much higher and will probably be on the rise in the coming years


I don't think you can make a "norm" argument for any school ITE when we have at best 2 years to base it on. 3 years for some schools that leaked class of 2011 data.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: 3.8x 168

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:02 am

FiveSermon wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
handlesthetruth wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:but, just like others have said before, if you are looking for $$$ at schools, do not ED at all.


that's the issue. it would be tough for me to think i might be throwing away full rides from a t-25 or two..

especially when I would, in the event umich denied me RD, still likely have the option of a t-14 at sticker: cornell.

cornell/michigan...is there much difference in those 4-5 spots in ranking? I'm not really going for biglaw in a huge city; ideal siutation for me is biglaw in a smaller big city (Minneapolis, boston, nashville, indy, etc.)


cornell actually blew the competition away in the NLJ250 rankings this year, placing like 58% of its class into biglaw, 2nd place behind chicago. HOWEVER, the norm for cornell is about 40% and the wacked out #s probably have something to do with the combination of a small class size and an unstable economy (NY is the fastest recovering market so there could lie the disconnect.) the norm for michigan is about 47%*** i think, but michigan also places more into academia/clerkships than cornell i believe. michigan is very marginally better, but not to the point where you should regret having to pay sticker at cornell when you COULD HAVE (theoretically) been paying sticker at michigan if you ED'd.

however, cornell feeds heavily into NYC biglaw, so if you aren't interested in that i'd rethink paying sticker at any t14. if it helps, my #s are 167/3.95 and i got a full ride + stipend at UMN. i am a resident, though. you would most definitely get money at a t25, probably even a few full rides. it sounds like your best bet is to drop ED with the realization that you may not break into the t10 because of it. it sounds like you would be better off taking $$ at UMN, U of I, BC, BU, hell Vandy might even throw $$ your way (but i wouldn't count on it.) if you don't ED, make suuuuuure you apply very early to lock in Cornell and/or GULC. that way if you change your mind and decide it's t14 or bust you still have some options.


***ETA: i should say, the norm for michigan in this shitty economy. normally it's much higher and will probably be on the rise in the coming years


I don't think you can make a "norm" argument for any school ITE when we have at best 2 years to base it on. 3 years for some schools that leaked class of 2011 data.


i guess i meant for that to be implicit with my ***




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: butlerraider1, lawlita, xn3345 and 4 guests