3.83/171 ED Chicago? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
elibrarian

Bronze

3.83/171 ED Chicago?

Post by elibrarian » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:12 am

3.83 GPA
171 LSAT
WE in legal field
decent softs, should have a strong PS and solid recs

My dream school is Chicago for various reasons, while i know i'm above median for GPA and at it for LSAT, I don't want to chance it. What are my chances if i submit my ED application September 1?

Knock

Platinum

Re: 3.83/171 ED Chicago?

Post by Knock » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:21 pm

elibrarian wrote:3.83 GPA
171 LSAT
WE in legal field

My dream school is Chicago for various reasons, while i know i'm above median for GPA and at it for LSAT, I don't want to chance it. What are my chances if i submit my ED application September 1?
You're chances are probably 80%+. You have a shot at some money though, especially with the Rubensteins opening up more money for the small class, so I would really make sure you want to ED before you do so.

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:01 pm

Knock wrote:
elibrarian wrote:3.83 GPA
171 LSAT
WE in legal field

You're chances are probably 80%+. You have a shot at some money though, especially with the Rubensteins opening up more money for the small class, so I would really make sure you want to ED before you do so.
Apologies but are you saying 80%+ if i ED or for RD?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:28 pm

dont ed to chicago. You dont need to. Your lsat and gpa is high enough. IF you want to solidify your chances- write a why chicago in addition to your personal statement. With those numbers you should see a lot of acceptances, and scholarships. if you ED- then you might have to pay sticker. if you are accepted ED- its binding, and your choices are to either go to Chicago, or not to go to law school for that cycle ( and the likelihood of you being rejected from chicago in the future will be high)

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:21 am

EDing should get U of C for you.

Not EDing you may get it but you may not. You will get a great school for sure. But it has to be U of C, then ED.

Admissions at these top schools is somewhat of a crap shoot. ED would really help, but you may be better to gamble and RD and get in with some small money. But you have to be willing to lose the gamble and go to Michigan with money or NYU or something.

If I was set on Chicago, I feel very good about EDing to one of the very best schools in the country, sticker or not.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:56 pm

Law Sauce wrote:EDing should get U of C for you.

Not EDing you may get it but you may not. You will get a great school for sure. But it has to be U of C, then ED.

Admissions at these top schools is somewhat of a crap shoot. ED would really help, but you may be better to gamble and RD and get in with some small money. But you have to be willing to lose the gamble and go to Michigan with money or NYU or something.

If I was set on Chicago, I feel very good about EDing to one of the very best schools in the country, sticker or not.
I suppose my concern is job placement after law school if I choose to study outside of Chicago. I know Chicago will be where I end up so how much of an issue would it be to study outside the city?

parsi

Bronze

Post by parsi » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:56 pm

I was waitlisted with a 3.9/171. I applied in December tho

obriennf

New

Post by obriennf » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:07 pm

elibrarian wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:EDing should get U of C for you.

I suppose my concern is job placement after law school if I choose to study outside of Chicago. I know Chicago will be where I end up so how much of an issue would it be to study outside the city?
If you're set on Chi then I'd ED UChi. It's what I would do, at least.

jco

New

Post by jco » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:11 pm

My girlfriend had exactly your numbers (we're 2L's now). She got into Chicago RD, but ended up going to Stanford off the waitlist. I don't think it would be hard to get a job in Chicago from Columbia or NYU if you can tell a compelling story during interviews about why you want to live and practice in the city. You would almost certainly get into one of CCN without needing ED, and you have a good shot at HYS. In addition to my girlfriend's experience, I got into Harvard with similar numbers (3.7/172). I don't think it would be wise to apply ED unless you are very risk averse.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:00 pm

jco wrote:My girlfriend had exactly your numbers (we're 2L's now). She got into Chicago RD, but ended up going to Stanford off the waitlist. I don't think it would be hard to get a job in Chicago from Columbia or NYU if you can tell a compelling story during interviews about why you want to live and practice in the city. You would almost certainly get into one of CCN without needing ED, and you have a good shot at HYS. In addition to my girlfriend's experience, I got into Harvard with similar numbers (3.7/172). I don't think it would be wise to apply ED unless you are very risk averse.
I won't be applying to Columbia or NYU. My strong dislike of the city cannot be overcome for law school, heh. That coupled with the cost of living and a fiance who equally abhors NYC just doesn't make it a possibility for law school. That being said, would it be detrimental to attend UVA, UPenn or the like if my intention is to work in Chicago?

Also, thats wonderful that you were accepted to Havard, I plan to throw an application their way just for fun as I fully intend to be rejected with my scores but hey, its worth a shot.

sonervous88

Bronze

Post by sonervous88 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:09 pm

don't go ed. i got in rd with worse scores and i got money.

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:19 pm

sonervous88 wrote:don't go ed. i got in rd with worse scores and i got money.
URM or amazing softs? My mind changes about this every minute and it isn't even summer yet. Sigh.

As of right now my plan is to submit 9/1 RD. Will have three recs, a strong PS and a short addendum in place of a Why Chicago essay. And to pray, a lot.

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:48 pm

I think you will get in RD. I would not ED in your situation unless UChi is literally the only school you would attend. Even then, I think doing so may shut you out of scholarship consideration. Thus, I see little positive about applying ED.

Best of luck.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”