Where Should I ED? (Next Cycle)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Where to ED?

Michigan
50%
Virginia
21%
Penn
3%
Northwestern
21%
Georgetown
6%

Total votes: 34

lebesby

Where Should I ED? (Next Cycle)

Postby lebesby » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:01 am

Last edited by lebesby on Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

ndirish2010

Re: Where Should I ED? (Next Cycle)

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:03 am

UVA first (on 9/1). Then NU if you don't get UVA. Not sure how long it takes to get Michigan's decision for ED, but UVA's takes 2 weeks.

czelede

Postby czelede » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:16 am

I think you should have a good shot at M, especially with that upwards grade trend - if it's what you want, I'd go for it. Just be prepared for summer start.

I think M gets back to you by early December for ED applicants (maybe? I didn't apply to M so someone correct me on this timeline if I'm wrong). You can always do a late ED to UVa if necessary, and it's possible you'll get NU RD if your WE is solid (but I think 172 is the magic number for them).

lebesby

Postby lebesby » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:16 am

TheStrand

Postby TheStrand » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:17 am

czelede wrote:I think you should have a good shot at M, especially with that upwards grade trend - if it's what you want, I'd go for it. Just be prepared for summer start.

I think M gets back to you by early December for ED applicants (maybe? I didn't apply to M so someone correct me on this timeline if I'm wrong). You can always do a late ED to UVa if necessary, and it's possible you'll get NU RD if your WE is solid (but I think 172 is the magic number for them).

This year was 12/15

*Edit* "The Law School will send a decision no later than December 15."

http://www.law.umich.edu/prospectivestu ... ption.aspx
Last edited by TheStrand on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

lebesby

Postby lebesby » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:18 am

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:19 am

Where do you want to work? That should be a big factor in this decision. And have you visited these schools? I understand that the allure of ED is better chances of admission, but don't do it just to do it. Make sure the school you ED to is one that you actually want to go to.

lebesby

Postby lebesby » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:24 am

Last edited by lebesby on Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:30 am

ndirish2010 wrote:UVA first (on 9/1). Then NU if you don't get UVA.

It's worth pointing out that it is a violation of the NU ED policy to ED to NU and another school in the same cycle. Does that stop people? No. Does it mean anything? Maybe no.

romothesavior wrote:Where do you want to work? That should be a big factor in this decision.

Romo I agree with the other parts of your post totally, but I'm not sure this one matters THAT much for the schools he's talking about.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:32 am

Since Mich is your #1 choice ED there. If you put together very strong LOR's, PS, and optional essays you will have a very good shot. If you don't get in via ED you would still have time to ED to UVA; I'm fairly certain UVA does not have an ED deadline.

You should also know that NU has a really stranged ED policy, "An applicant may not be an Early Decision candidate at more than one school during the same admissions cycle." So if your ED was shot down anywhere else, you couldn't ED to NU. And if you ED to NU and get dinged, you can't ED anywhere else.

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... cation.pdf

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:34 am

buckilaw wrote:So if your ED was shot down anywhere else, you couldn't ED to NU. And if you ED to NU and get dinged, you can't ED anywhere else.

It doesn't stop people from successfully doing it.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:50 am

Bumi wrote:
buckilaw wrote:So if your ED was shot down anywhere else, you couldn't ED to NU. And if you ED to NU and get dinged, you can't ED anywhere else.

Interesting. What, if anything, could NU do if someone violated their policy? The point is likely moot since the OP does not prefer NU; but, I'm kinda curious.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:58 am

romothesavior wrote:Where do you want to work? That should be a big factor in this decision. And have you visited these schools? I understand that the allure of ED is better chances of admission, but don't do it just to do it. Make sure the school you ED to is one that you actually want to go to.

+1, and I think this advice often gets forgotten on TLS. If Michigan is your first choice (and is still your first choice after researching your alternatives), then ED to Michigan. If that doesn't work out, then we can start worrying about Plan B (which could include UVA ED).

lebesby

Postby lebesby » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:52 pm

bump. any other thoughts?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:05 pm

Repeating some advice:

- Visit the schools, see if your personal ranking of them changes
- Take into account what you want to do after grad & where you want to do it
- If you still feel the same way at the end, ED to Mich. If you ED to any of the others and get in, you will ALWAYS wonder 'what if' and regret it. Even if you ED to M and don't get in, at least you'll know you tried for your top choice. (:

nshapkar

Postby nshapkar » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:10 pm

buckilaw wrote:
Bumi wrote:

Interesting. What, if anything, could NU do if someone violated their policy? The point is likely moot since the OP does not prefer NU; but, I'm kinda curious.

I don't think they could do anything, applying to a school ED before NU maybe they can, but the other way around I don't see them having any control.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:11 pm

nshapkar wrote:I don't think they could do anything, applying to a school ED before NU maybe they can, but the other way around I don't see them having any control.

They could inform other schools that you've violated an ED contract and it seems very possible that other schools would not be happy about that.

Return to “What are my chances?”