Just want to get an idea of where I'll end up. Addendum?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Just want to get an idea of where I'll end up. Addendum?

Postby Tdawg7669 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:34 am

Im a senior in college graduating in May. I havent taken the lsat yet but I am currently studying for the June test. Based on the practice test I have done so far and what I have learned from the first half of the bibles, it seems like a very learnable test.

That being said my question is about GPA. When evaluating GPA, do schools just look at the total GPA or would they consider if there was one low grade completley bringing it down if it was an outlier?

My first semester I had around a 3.35 average. From that point on I was basically averaging 3.6-3.8 semesters until the one that had just past, where I got a C- in ****ing existentialism bringing my semester gpa to a 3.08 or something equally terrible. That semester brought my GPA down from a 3.65 overall to a 3.57 overall. I can probably get it up to 3.6 again this semester as I am taking 18 credits and reasonably expecting between a 3.76-4 this semester depending on some classes where I am on the border. (it will be a SLIGHTLY higher according to LSAC because they count + grades as x.33, wheras my university counts them as x.30)

Basically my question is, should I write an addendum explaining the grade in that class(and semester as a whole). I know this is going to sound like BS and cliche which is why I am even asking if I should do it. However I honestly thought I was going to kill myself to the point where I just stopped going to class, how I even got the grade I did in that class amazes me. My thought process was literally "fuck it, Im going to kill myself why does this shit matter?" Now I dont want to go into the reason why as I feel like I revealed enough, but I am better now.(General reasons include stress from working 35+ hours a week and commuting an hour each way to school, serious financial problems, basically hating who I was and the future I saw for myself, combined with one specific issue that I dont want to mention here)

Of course I feel like including that might do more harm than good and make schools think I am either just making excuses or I am crazy and who is to say that I wont enter that state of mind again?(Im confident I wont, but will they?). Furthermore I probably didnt put up with that much more than the average law school applicant and I cracked and they didnt.

The schools I am really gunning for at sticker are Cornell, Columbia and NYU as I am from the New York area. I know my relatively low GPA makes acing the lsat that much more critical. I am confident I will do well, but until you take the real thing all you can do is put forth your best effort. Right now I am considering whether I should write the addendum or not. Advice? Sorry if it was long, part of this was to vent my frustrations and worries over this process.

Re: Just want to get an idea of where I'll end up. Addendum?

Postby tourdeforcex » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:16 pm

my vote would be no addendum. adcoms know people mess up sometimes. they've been through college before too.

from what i understand, when evaluating GPA, schools look at total GPA, and they also look at the yearly break down. i've been told that an upward trend is a good thing. not actually sure if it makes a dramatic difference.

if it means anything to you, don't kill yourself.

gun for those schools. rock that LSAT. best wishes.

Postby rebexness » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:08 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby FuManChusco » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:09 pm

this is the most paranoid post ever. chillax. do not by any means write an addendum for that. it's not like your grades went down for a semester or two. you got one lousy C in a single class. telling them you were going to kill yourself is going to come off terribly imho. and stop worrying about applications until you take the lsat.

Return to “What are my chances?”