3.33-3.4 hypo LSDAS GPA (in undergrad), 161 (real lsat)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Pricer

Re: 3.33-3.4 hypo LSDAS GPA (in undergrad), 161 (real lsat)

Postby Pricer » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:55 pm

FWIW, I am getting waitlisted at schools that LSP said strong consider for me.

pugilistjd

Postby pugilistjd » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:17 pm

TLS wins. I'm retaking.

FalafelWaffle

Postby FalafelWaffle » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:23 pm

I always think it's cute when OP's try to mod their threads. Lighten up, it's not your personal island. If no one's hijacking the thread, buck up and take the responses.

FalafelWaffle

Postby FalafelWaffle » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:25 pm

Pricer wrote:FWIW, I am getting waitlisted at schools that LSP said strong consider for me.

Yeah I hear that. Sucks, but LSP says Strong Consider equates to 63-75% chance of being admitted. Great odds, but far from a certainty. Between 2 in 3 and 3 in 4 is great odds, but far from a guarantee.

FalafelWaffle

Postby FalafelWaffle » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:27 pm

pugilistjd wrote:
2011Law wrote:I think UF should be a target with those numbers if you're interested in any part of Florida, though I'd only go if you figured out a way to get in-state tuition. UM is fine if you want to work in South Florida, but I would not go without a substantial scholarship.

The reason people say to retake is because they can see the future (career prospects / debt load) you'll have coming out of whatever school will accept you with those numbers, and it ain't all that pretty. If you think you can do better on the LSAT, then retake. If not, just inform yourself of all the pros and cons of going to those law schools and make your own decision.

2011Law wrote:I think UF should be a target with those numbers if you're interested in any part of Florida, though I'd only go if you figured out a way to get in-state tuition. UM is fine if you want to work in South Florida, but I would not go without a substantial scholarship.

The reason people say to retake is because they can see the future (career prospects / debt load) you'll have coming out of whatever school will accept you with those numbers, and it ain't all that pretty. If you think you can do better on the LSAT, then retake. If not, just inform yourself of all the pros and cons of going to those law schools and make your own decision.

Thanks for suggestion. I was thinking about UF, but you're right that its not worth it without in-state. Plus, I'd only want to practice in South Florida at least to start. Agreed on UMiami @ sticker. I'm also adding Maryland and U Houston to the list because they seem to dominate locally.

See my comments above about TLSers' outlook on T2 career prospects/debt.

As for retaking, I'm thinking about it. My best practice test (Dec '10) was 167 and that was after a 6 week prep course, 4/6 weeks I was either working or in school.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. I'll take UF out of state tuition over UM sticker any day. If you're applying to UM without reasonable expectation of $$ makes no sense to shit on UF, especially from a financial POV

ThomasMN

Postby ThomasMN » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:13 am

What makes you want to be a lawyer? If you are just after a solid middle-class to upper middle-class lifestyle there are a lot of different fields you can get into that don't require you to go into mountains of debt.

I am a collegiate mock trial guy, so I know a few folks that are not going to get into a t-25 school, or even the best regional school, but I certainly don't harp on them to not become lawyers. They aren't looking to become big corporate lawyers and make a big salary, they would be happy working for the DA of a county in Minnesota etc. Every lawyer that I know who is unhappy is a person who became a lawyer because it was just a thing to do.

Why do you think you'll be successful as a lawyer? I think that if more people answered these questions honestly they would make more informed choices about law school. Trust me, if you had a 3.9 GPA and scored a 175 on the LSAT I would ask the same question. If you don't have anything really drawing you to law school other than the fact that its a path, well maybe you should take a different path.

ThomasMN

Postby ThomasMN » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:16 am

Also, as a side note you have to remember that LSP only really takes UGPA and the LSAT into consideration. It doesn't really tell you how many of those persons EDed, were URMs, if they were engineers or dance majors, where they went to UG, or if at some point and time they saved the world. Be realistic, if you know that you really don't have amazing softs, that can downplay your numbers, just as great softs can help you out.

pugilistjd

Postby pugilistjd » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:39 am

ThomasMN wrote:Also, as a side note you have to remember that LSP only really takes UGPA and the LSAT into consideration. It doesn't really tell you how many of those persons EDed, were URMs, if they were engineers or dance majors, where they went to UG, or if at some point and time they saved the world. Be realistic, if you know that you really don't have amazing softs, that can downplay your numbers, just as great softs can help you out.

Most people post URM status, major, undergrad institution and softs on LSN and I compare data from both sites. In response to your other post lawyering seems promising because of what are to me the non-financial rewards of the profession. Unlike arguing from the armchair which I've done for half of undergrad I will be able to produce real world outcomes. When I say real world outcomes I don't mean anything glorious or altruistic. I mean putting forth a well-reasoned, thoroughly researched and seamlessly executed argument then maybe getting some money for a client or at least a better deal than they would otherwise have gotten. For me the significance on my impact only bears on whether at least one person is better off as a result of my work. Yes I know there are other ways to help people. This one is just the most intellectually rewarding for me based on my interests.

Return to “What are my chances?”