Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
girlboy

Postby girlboy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:07 am

Last edited by girlboy on Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

obriennf

Re: 3.6/174

Postby obriennf » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:34 am

I would ED to CCN. Not sure about the money though.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:38 am

girlboy wrote:GPA: 3.6x (3.7x UG) from top 30 private or whatever that means. Graduated January 2011.
LSAT: 174
Softs: Average. Some published journalism pieces, internships and part-time jobs. Not really any leadership. Planning on working as a paralegal for the next couple of years before applying (this fall then deferring, or next fall) to 1) save money to offset COL in LS and 2) figure out if I actually like legal work. Will probably submit very early, like September.
PS: Likely to be average. No substantial adversity/diversity.

I know admissions criteria can change a lot in the next couple years, but chances at CCNMVP? Also, $$ at USC/UCLA/Davis? Financial aid is very important to me. (Edit: NYU is my top choice. Columbia is my dream school.)

Looking to practice in NYC or SoCal; grew up in NorCal/college in NYC. No professional connections.

Retake??????

Edit: Does this make me a splitter?

3.6x is your LSDAS GPA? That's the only one that counts. Also, no one cares what school it was unless it was Princeton or online. I don't think you're a splitter.

If it were this cycle, you're in at NYU, Columbia has grabbed that LSAT score and Chicago probably takes you, although it's a bit more variable due to the small class size. Harvard has also looked at those numbers iirc. You may get YP'd at M and V, dunno about Penn.

Next cycle is... a whole new ballgame though. Good luck.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:27 am

Shoot high, you never know. Harvard on down is a realistic shot. Harvard and Columbia are not probable as in over 50%, but realistic none the less. Admissions is a little bit of a crap shot. But you should definitely do very well. And money from MVPDCG on down if you dont get YPed. Full rides at UCLA/Vandy/WUSTL are also a possibility.

Good luck and congrats.

Prestige of undergrad definitely matters if it very impressive and well known. Not sure if top-30 means much.

girlboy

Postby girlboy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:02 am

Thanks, everyone!

ahduth wrote:3.6x is your LSDAS GPA? That's the only one that counts. Also, no one cares what school it was unless it was Princeton or online. I don't think you're a splitter.

If it were this cycle, you're in at NYU, Columbia has grabbed that LSAT score and Chicago probably takes you, although it's a bit more variable due to the small class size. Harvard has also looked at those numbers iirc. You may get YP'd at M and V, dunno about Penn.

Next cycle is... a whole new ballgame though. Good luck.

Yeah it's my LSDAS, I included my UG though because I am considering writing an addendum for the lone bad grade (from HS comm college course) that is dragging me down a whole .1 point.

Ultimately not that interested in Chicago, will def reach for Columbia and NYU. Very interested in Michigan, will apply to Penn, not sure about Virginia (sounds nice, but I'm OOS). I'll definitely write Why CNMP (if that will help ward off YP), then apply to NU, Duke, Cornell, GULC (Why X if I have time/patience) and UCLA/USC/Davis/Loyola/USD/Vandy/UT (possibly in-state), all with Why X. Maybe shoot one out to Stanford because rejections keep me humble :)

Do these sound reasonable? Obviously things will change by the end of this cycle and I'll probably repost right before I actually apply.

thunderflesh

Postby thunderflesh » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:16 pm

You're kind of a splitter, but not too much.

As others have said, you have a great shot at CCN, and could probably get money from many schools below that. I bet Michigan would give you a fat scholly, based on what I've seen this cycle, but work hard on your Michigan-specific essays. I kind of phoned mine in and they dinged me (I really only wanted CCN anyway, so it was actually savvy of them to do so).

Stanford and Berkeley are probably dings. Harvard is unlikely, but maybe worth a shot.

girlboy

Postby girlboy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:26 pm

thunderflesh wrote:Stanford and Berkeley are probably dings. Harvard is unlikely, but maybe worth a shot.

Is Stanford harder to get into than Harvard?

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:35 pm

girlboy wrote:
thunderflesh wrote:Stanford and Berkeley are probably dings. Harvard is unlikely, but maybe worth a shot.

Is Stanford harder to get into than Harvard?

I'm not sure about their overall admit percentage (I think SLS admits 8% and HLS admits 12%), but Stanford historically tends to place more weight on GPA and softs. Their class is less than half the size of Harvard's, so they get to be picky.

girlboy

Postby girlboy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:47 pm

Ah, I see.

thunderflesh

Postby thunderflesh » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:57 pm

girlboy wrote:Ah, I see.

Yeah. Don't want to be a downer, but unless you're a URM or have amazing softs, your GPA will probably keep you out of YHS =(

That said, if you want to apply, do it. If you can afford the app fee then there isn't much reason not to try.

The thing is, CCN is quite receptive to semi-splitters such as ourselves, so I'd advise you to focus on your apps to those schools. I should note that my own experience has led me to believe that softs can make a big difference at CLS and Chicago. I didn't expect to be admitted at either, but I worked really hard on my PS, and have decent softs, and managed to get in to both. Happy to discuss this more via PM.

girlboy

Postby girlboy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:35 pm

thunderflesh wrote:Yeah. Don't want to be a downer, but unless you're a URM or have amazing softs, your GPA will probably keep you out of YHS =(

That said, if you want to apply, do it. If you can afford the app fee then there isn't much reason not to try.

The thing is, CCN is quite receptive to semi-splitters such as ourselves, so I'd advise you to focus on your apps to those schools. I should note that my own experience has led me to believe that softs can make a big difference at CLS and Chicago. I didn't expect to be admitted at either, but I worked really hard on my PS, and have decent softs, and managed to get in to both. Happy to discuss this more via PM.

Haha it's not too much of a downer; I pretty much expected that and was surprised some people suggested Harvard in the first place.
PM coming your way...

Return to “What are my chances?”