URM female

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Mickey Quicknumbers

Re: 3.9+/172 URM female

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:01 pm

harrijust86 wrote:
Knock wrote:
harrijust86 wrote:It amazes me that people that are so smart cannot seem to just read and search for something. This is at least the 4th insanely numbered URM thread I have seen where the OP has no clue how good their chances are. I don't know if it's modesty or what. All I can say is that I am jealous, and best of luck at Yale!

*Looks at forum title*

Agreed, but under the forum title is a substantial list of threads. A 15 minute browse of them, or even a 5 minute browse of LSN presents the OP with the reality that "Hey, my chances are pretty much a lock everywhere." She even states this in her original post. Not to mention the fact that she has been "roaming the forum for months". I am in no way begrudging the OP for asking the question, just commenting on the fact that the answer is already out there.

All that being said, she has one substantive question of "Am I fine as is or is there anything I can/should do?" But even that is questionable for this forum anyway.

This is all most likely misplaced rage and jealousy... Just had to "vent" since ive been tweaking out about my decidedly less impressive cylce potential with little or no reason to believe it will go well.

Everybody wants their own thread, there's nothing wrong with it, that's why this is a subforum and not a link to LSP.

harrijust86

Postby harrijust86 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:21 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
harrijust86 wrote:
Knock wrote:
harrijust86 wrote:It amazes me that people that are so smart cannot seem to just read and search for something. This is at least the 4th insanely numbered URM thread I have seen where the OP has no clue how good their chances are. I don't know if it's modesty or what. All I can say is that I am jealous, and best of luck at Yale!

*Looks at forum title*

Agreed, but under the forum title is a substantial list of threads. A 15 minute browse of them, or even a 5 minute browse of LSN presents the OP with the reality that "Hey, my chances are pretty much a lock everywhere." She even states this in her original post. Not to mention the fact that she has been "roaming the forum for months". I am in no way begrudging the OP for asking the question, just commenting on the fact that the answer is already out there.

All that being said, she has one substantive question of "Am I fine as is or is there anything I can/should do?" But even that is questionable for this forum anyway.

This is all most likely misplaced rage and jealousy... Just had to "vent" since ive been tweaking out about my decidedly less impressive cylce potential with little or no reason to believe it will go well.

Everybody wants their own thread, there's nothing wrong with it, that's why this is a subforum and not a link to LSP.

had written up a rather long response to this, full of winning and tiger blood. Then i realized i was actually just wrong in my OP. Still could have "won", but any prospective law student worth their salt should be capable of winning from the wrong side. A forum is no place for such sillyness, even a law forum.

I apologize to the OP, and will just say that there is very little you can do to improve your already strong standing. Do some research into each of the schools and spend your time writing imaculate PS's for each. Your chances are as good as anyone else's and the best way you can stand out is to have your personality shine through your PS. Keep the modesty thing though, it's rare that people don't start to feel entitled when they realize they are in such a possition of power.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:23 pm

harrijust86 wrote:
harrijust86 wrote:
Knock wrote:
*Looks at forum title*

had written up a rather long response to this, full of winning and tiger blood. Then i realized i was actually just wrong in my OP. Still could have "won", but any prospective law student worth their salt should be capable of winning from the wrong side. A forum is no place for such sillyness, even a law forum.

I apologize to the OP, and will just say that there is very little you can do to improve your already strong standing. Do some research into each of the schools and spend your time writing imaculate PS's for each. Your chances are as good as anyone else's and the best way you can stand out is to have your personality shine through your PS. Keep the modesty thing though, it's rare that people don't start to feel entitled when they realize they are in such a possition of power.

:|

harrijust86

Postby harrijust86 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:01 am

I see what you did there.... :x

ill give you an outline:

having own thread acceptable(small concession). chances are good(quote op for proof of preexisting knowledge) Question uneccessary (possit potential alterior motives) . Real question (contains merit) brought in through false pretenses of "credited" question(real question belongs somewhere else) discuss possible answers and typical responses (no value). Question debatability and substantive value of thread.(point to other threads which contain obvious worth to others) thoughts on relative value of 2.7/148 thread for no reason. Intermitten quotes from op's op. Thinly veiled compliment. Subversive dagger statement. Addonis blood... AM I COOL YET?

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:04 am

harrijust86 wrote:having own thread acceptable(small concession). chances are good(quote op for proof of preexisting knowledge) Question uneccessary (possit potential alterior motives) . Real question (contains merit) brought in through false pretenses of "credited" question(real question belongs somewhere else) discuss possible answers and typical responses (no value). Question debatability and substantive value of thread.(point to other threads which contain obvious worth to others) thoughts on relative value of 2.7/148 thread for no reason. Intermitten quotes from op's op. Thinly veiled compliment. Subversive dagger statement. Addonis blood... AM I COOL YET?

Yes, now.

The purpose of TLS is not to have winners or losers, the purpose is dissemination of information for the greater good of students involved in law school, so theoretically everybody wins.

harrijust86

Postby harrijust86 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:13 am

harrijust86 wrote:having own thread acceptable(small concession). chances are good(quote op for proof of preexisting knowledge) Question uneccessary (possit potential alterior motives) . Real question (contains merit) brought in through false pretenses of "credited" question(real question belongs somewhere else) discuss possible answers and typical responses (no value). Question debatability and substantive value of thread.(point to other threads which contain obvious worth to others) thoughts on relative value of 2.7/148 thread for no reason. Intermitten quotes from op's op. Thinly veiled compliment. Subversive dagger statement. Addonis blood... AM I COOL YET?

Yes, now.

The purpose of TLS is not to have winners or losers, the purpose is dissemination of information for the greater good of students involved in law school, so theoretically everybody wins.

Which is exactly why i did away with the arguementative nature of my post the first time:

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:A forum is no place for such sillyness, even a law forum.

thats actually a quote from me. not sure how to Quote a partial statement within a quote within a quote...
Last edited by harrijust86 on Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

almightypush

Postby almightypush » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:14 am

Both your GPA and LSAT are above mine, and I got HY (didn't apply to S).

Do enjoy HYS.

BrianGriffintheDog

Postby BrianGriffintheDog » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:27 am

Oh how I envy you...Congrats on potentially becoming better than everyone else..haha

spek

Postby spek » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:35 am

Really didn't think I would get all these responses, these are fun to read :). I understand there are several people in a similar situation and that I could just read about their cycles in other threads but there's something about being reassured that my softs are good enough to merit Y and S; that was my concern. I definitely appreciate the responses.

@mez06, where and when? ;)

edit: not "fun to read" as in "I love hearing about how great I am!" but "fun to read" as in "I like the short debate that took place". Just thought I'd clarify :)

mez06

Postby mez06 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:14 am

spek wrote:

Oh, the wink did it! Here's to hoping you live somewhere close to a major metropolitan. Or maybe we should get coffee at a cafe in a random city? I dig a good conversation. Laughter is a plus. I'm thinking a comedy club or a Bus Boy Poet's type of vibe? :wink:

Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to point out that I have given up what this forum provides, anonymity. PM'ed the lovely Spek and am hopefully in the works of making her laugh over a sunny lunch and relaxed dinner. I'll be sure to update you on the specifics of our outings. Think...Millionaire Matchmaker, with a splash of TLS. Maybe the first ever TLS reality-show has just been born.

kulshan

Postby kulshan » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:32 pm

Last edited by kulshan on Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iiibbystar

Postby iiibbystar » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:00 pm

mez06 wrote:
spek wrote:

Oh, the wink did it! Here's to hoping you live somewhere close to a major metropolitan. Or maybe we should get coffee at a cafe in a random city? I dig a good conversation. Laughter is a plus. I'm thinking a comedy club or a Bus Boy Poet's type of vibe? :wink:

Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to point out that I have given up what this forum provides, anonymity. PM'ed the lovely Spek and am hopefully in the works of making her laugh over a sunny lunch and relaxed dinner. I'll be sure to update you on the specifics of our outings. Think...Millionaire Matchmaker, with a splash of TLS. Maybe the first ever TLS reality-show has just been born.

kidding or not, this is just too cute.

spek

Postby spek » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:15 pm

Please note a change in the OP :oops: :?

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:17 pm

spek wrote:Just got my Feb. 2011 score and I'm relieved that it's 170+ but I still want to hear what people have to say. I've used all the predicting devices I can find and while LSP says admit across the board because I'm URM, HourUMD's predictor doesn't seem as promising. Dream school is Stanford. I'm a junior and I plan on applying before October 1st. Basically I'm asking what my chances are at YHS in light of my average softs.

Softs:

2 legal internships + possibly one NGO internship this summer
leader in a couple campus organizations
honors society + scholarship awards
dean's list since I started university
doing Honors Thesis as a junior
international student with an interesting background (lived in several different places)

From roaming this forum for months I know that these softs are average for LS applicants; I'm concerned they are too average for Stanford and I'll do anything I can to have the best shot of being admitted there. Am I fine as is or is there anything I can/should do?
*please don't say retake unless you think it's absolutely necessary, I hate this test and am about to burn all of my practice materials. :D

Thanks for reading and responding kindly!

**edit: Please re-assess given I may have mislabeled myself as URM. I'm technically African Canadian though I'm doing undergrad in the US. Does this change things and if so how? Thanks!

No, that doesn't change anything. You're still an URM. I believe they say check the "African-American" box if you are "descended from sub-saharan African peoples."
Last edited by Knock on Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spek

Postby spek » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:19 pm

Phew! Thanks so much Knock. Someone's comment in a different thread had me questioning myself.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:21 pm

spek wrote:Phew! Thanks so much Knock. Someone's comment in a different thread had me questioning myself.

No problem :).

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:36 pm

jasonc. wrote:BITCH :roll:

I know...like she really needs anyone to tell her that she has it made. If she's a URM who really has those numbers and needs an opinion, maybe some other (hidden) part of her profile isn't up to par. That's the only conclusion I can draw. :roll:

OP is probably just a braggart who gets off on hearing people tell her how obviously successful she is. Is it a flame from some phony or is OP a real narcissist?
Last edited by PDaddy on Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spek

Postby spek » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:40 pm

PDaddy wrote:

I know...like she really needs anyone to tell her that she has it made. If she's a URM who really has those numbers and needs an opinion, maybe some other part of her profile isn't up to par. That's the only conclusion I can draw. :roll:

thanks for the productive insight! so helpful :)

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:43 pm

spek wrote:
PDaddy wrote:

I know...like she really needs anyone to tell her that she has it made. If she's a URM who really has those numbers and needs an opinion, maybe some other part of her profile isn't up to par. That's the only conclusion I can draw. :roll:

Hey, the site is here to be a resource for you as well as anyone else. But anyone with your numbers should know that she has a good shot at any elite school and any scholarship. It's like Halle Berry asking people whether she's pretty and having the nerve to say she doesn't know whether she is.

You are very accomplished, and that's great for you, but there's too much information available on this site for URM's with your numbers NOT to know what their chances are.

spek

Postby spek » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:46 pm

PDaddy wrote:
spek wrote:
PDaddy wrote:

Hey, the site is here to be a resource for you as well as anyone else. But anyone with your numbers should know that she has a good shot at any elite school and any scholarship. It's like Halle Berry asking people whether she's pretty and having the nerve to say she doesn't know whether she is.

You are very accomplished, and that's great for you, but there's too much information available on this site for URM's with your numbers NOT to know what their chances are.

Alright well I'm glad you were able to get that out of your system. Not sure exactly what you got from it but hey, who am I to judge?

rose711

Postby rose711 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:48 pm

PDaddy wrote:

I know...like she really needs anyone to tell her that she has it made. If she's a URM who really has those numbers and needs an opinion, maybe some other (hidden) part of her profile isn't up to par. That's the only conclusion I can draw. :roll:

OP is probably just a braggart who gets off on hearing people tell her how obviously successful she is. Is it a flame from some phony or is OP a real narcissist?

What is your problem? Jealous much??

OP: Good luck and keep up the hard work! I'm sure you will get a great selection of schools.

spek

Postby spek » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:50 pm

rose711 wrote:
PDaddy wrote:

What is your problem? Jealous much??

OP: Good luck and keep up the hard work! I'm sure you will get a great selection of schools.

thanks rose!

Return to “What are my chances?”