168 / 3.82 GPA - Any chance at T14s?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
SLS_AMG
Posts: 491
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:18 pm

168 / 3.82 GPA - Any chance at T14s?

Postby SLS_AMG » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:58 pm

Hi all:

I just got my February LSAT score (168) and would REALLY like to go to a T14 (like everyone else) if possible. I have a 3.82 GPA, but have taken the LSAT 3 times (Cancel --> 164 --> 168). What, if any, schools in the T14 do I have a reasonable shot at, ED or not?

Thanks so much for the help!

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: 168 / 3.82 GPA - Any chance at T14s?

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:00 pm

some chance at Penn through GTown. I'd say auto admit at Cornell and Georgetown, out at UVA, maybe at Michigan and Duke, less likely at Penn, Berk is a crapshoot like it is for everyone

but you are surely in at C and G if you apply early fall

also, good chance at NU if you have decent work experience

ED increases your chances across the board

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2951
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: 168 / 3.82 GPA - Any chance at T14s?

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:19 am

In at GULC and Cornell. Better than 50/50 at Duke. Chance at Michigan. Not much above that.

User avatar
Malcolm8X
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:56 pm

Re: 168 / 3.82 GPA - Any chance at T14s?

Postby Malcolm8X » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:25 am

I say you have a chance at Columbia on down, if you use your ED powers wisely and apply early. Only thing is the ED comes with that risk. Now, T14 and $$$ is a different question.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

SLS_AMG
Posts: 491
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:18 pm

Re: 168 / 3.82 GPA - Any chance at T14s?

Postby SLS_AMG » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:55 pm

Thanks for the responses so far! I was kind of thinking of using my ED advantage, but I'm not sure how to go about that "wisely" as the above poster mentioned. I would LOVE to go to NYU, UVA or Georgetown, but I feel that NYU and UVA might be out of my reach. Would my chances go up significantly if I ED at any of these (or other) T14 schools? And can you use more than one ED (assuming you ED to a school and get rejected there)?

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: 168 / 3.82 GPA - Any chance at T14s?

Postby paulinaporizkova » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:03 pm

Malcolm8X wrote:I say you have a chance at Columbia on down, if you use your ED powers wisely and apply early. Only thing is the ED comes with that risk. Now, T14 and $$$ is a different question.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

lolwut? no chance OP is getting Columbia, and NYU and Chicago are very risky ED's most likely resulting in waitlists. I'd suggest EDing Penn and Michigan, specifically Penn, for a more reasonable "reach" ED. But don't be surprised if you get WL off Penn ED too. UVA ED is out because you don't hit one of their medians. A 166/4.0 would have a better chance EDing UVA than OP IMO

User avatar
Malcolm8X
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:56 pm

Re: 168 / 3.82 GPA - Any chance at T14s?

Postby Malcolm8X » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:16 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
Malcolm8X wrote:I say you have a chance at Columbia on down, if you use your ED powers wisely and apply early. Only thing is the ED comes with that risk. Now, T14 and $$$ is a different question.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

lolwut? no chance OP is getting Columbia, and NYU and Chicago are very risky ED's most likely resulting in waitlists. I'd suggest EDing Penn and Michigan, specifically Penn, for a more reasonable "reach" ED. But don't be surprised if you get WL off Penn ED too. UVA ED is out because you don't hit one of their medians. A 166/4.0 would have a better chance EDing UVA than OP IMO


My goodness. What was I thinking sending an app to Columbia? I probably got laughed at. Still, to say the OP got NO chance is still a stretch. It will require some grand softs and a WELL crafted PS, including an integrated or separate Why Columbia section, but it's a slight possibility:

167, 3.99 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/threewindows
168, 3.92 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ndgrad05

Question: Once you're put on the waitlist from an ED, couldn't you send out another ED contract?

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: 168 / 3.82 GPA - Any chance at T14s?

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:50 am

Malcolm8X wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
Malcolm8X wrote:I say you have a chance at Columbia on down, if you use your ED powers wisely and apply early. Only thing is the ED comes with that risk. Now, T14 and $$$ is a different question.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

lolwut? no chance OP is getting Columbia, and NYU and Chicago are very risky ED's most likely resulting in waitlists. I'd suggest EDing Penn and Michigan, specifically Penn, for a more reasonable "reach" ED. But don't be surprised if you get WL off Penn ED too. UVA ED is out because you don't hit one of their medians. A 166/4.0 would have a better chance EDing UVA than OP IMO


My goodness. What was I thinking sending an app to Columbia? I probably got laughed at. Still, to say the OP got NO chance is still a stretch. It will require some grand softs and a WELL crafted PS, including an integrated or separate Why Columbia section, but it's a slight possibility:

167, 3.99 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/threewindows
168, 3.92 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ndgrad05

Question: Once you're put on the waitlist from an ED, couldn't you send out another ED contract?


you are a U.R.M. homie. in fact, aren't you AA? that puts you in a totally different realm

ALSO: threewindows - rural, probably first gen college working full time through UG, ndgrad05 - 4+ years as a military officer


these are exceptional softs that most people do not have. just a wild guess that OP doesn't have even close to these softs

also, FTR, i think 3.9+ GPAs are better than 3.8s (according to adcomms) and the difference should be noted between these examples and OP's numbers

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: 168 / 3.82 GPA - Any chance at T14s?

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:03 am

Dumb posts here abound. OP has no shot at Columbia. I'm an exact number twin but with a single LSAT. You have a shot at MP and G and C. M can happen RD, P is a slim shot with ED. C should be good. G is iffy.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: 168 / 3.82 GPA - Any chance at T14s?

Postby bport hopeful » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:23 am

Since you have a cancel, isnt it possible to apply for a fourth test waiver or something? Couple of points would do wonders.

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: 168 / 3.82 GPA - Any chance at T14s?

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:39 am

bport hopeful wrote:Since you have a cancel, isnt it possible to apply for a fourth test waiver or something? Couple of points would do wonders.


You can apply without a cancel it doesn't matter.

User avatar
Ialdabaoth
Posts: 240
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:26 pm

Re: 168 / 3.82 GPA - Any chance at T14s?

Postby Ialdabaoth » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:04 am

Malcolm8X wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
Malcolm8X wrote:I say you have a chance at Columbia on down, if you use your ED powers wisely and apply early. Only thing is the ED comes with that risk. Now, T14 and $$$ is a different question.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

lolwut? no chance OP is getting Columbia, and NYU and Chicago are very risky ED's most likely resulting in waitlists. I'd suggest EDing Penn and Michigan, specifically Penn, for a more reasonable "reach" ED. But don't be surprised if you get WL off Penn ED too. UVA ED is out because you don't hit one of their medians. A 166/4.0 would have a better chance EDing UVA than OP IMO


My goodness. What was I thinking sending an app to Columbia? I probably got laughed at. Still, to say the OP got NO chance is still a stretch. It will require some grand softs and a WELL crafted PS, including an integrated or separate Why Columbia section, but it's a slight possibility:

167, 3.99 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/threewindows
168, 3.92 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ndgrad05

Question: Once you're put on the waitlist from an ED, couldn't you send out another ED contract?


I'm also curious re the bolded question. I'm guessing since this would be considered very risky that you can't drop/cancel a waitlist ED? TIA!

SLS_AMG
Posts: 491
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:18 pm

Re: 168 / 3.82 GPA - Any chance at T14s?

Postby SLS_AMG » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:10 pm

I guess I could try and take it again, but it seems pretty risky. Also, regarding the multiple LSATs, I was under the impression that after HYS (and possibly CCN), schools will just take your highest score since it's what they have to report?

So would a Georgetown ED be a smart move and really increase my chances there (along with applying early)?

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: 168 / 3.82 GPA - Any chance at T14s?

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:14 pm

SLS_AMG wrote:I guess I could try and take it again, but it seems pretty risky. Also, regarding the multiple LSATs, I was under the impression that after HYS (and possibly CCN), schools will just take your highest score since it's what they have to report?

So would a Georgetown ED be a smart move and really increase my chances there (along with applying early)?


what? did you read anything in this thread? no, that is a terrible idea. if you apply early you are an auto admit at georgetown and don't need to ED. you will also get cornell which is arguably a better school to be at than georgetown. if you feel compelled to ED, i'd ED Michigan or Penn. If you are less risk averse, then Michigan. UVA is probably out because as i said before you don't hit either of their high medians, which are likely on the rise for next cycle. if you don't get any t10s you will at least have C and G and maybe Duke but who knows. DO NOT ED GEORGETOWN

SLS_AMG
Posts: 491
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:18 pm

Re: 168 / 3.82 GPA - Any chance at T14s?

Postby SLS_AMG » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:27 pm

Ok, thanks again for the advice. To answer your question, yes, I've read every post in this thread. I just saw where one poster said he was my numbers twin and said I was "iffy" at Georgetown.

I know you and a couple others said UVA is unlikely, but would it be wise, then, to instead use my ED there really early in the cycle since they decide in 2 weeks? That way, even if I was rejected, I could use my ED at a Penn or UMich?

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: 168 / 3.82 GPA - Any chance at T14s?

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:35 pm

SLS_AMG wrote:Ok, thanks again for the advice. To answer your question, yes, I've read every post in this thread. I just saw where one poster said he was my numbers twin and said I was "iffy" at Georgetown.

I know you and a couple others said UVA is unlikely, but would it be wise, then, to instead use my ED there really early in the cycle since they decide in 2 weeks? That way, even if I was rejected, I could use my ED at a Penn or UMich?


Ok, so i think FiveSermon said that because GTown is an LSAT whore so you never know what they're gonna do to people with sub-170s without URM status or outstanding softs, but i applied in mid october to gtown and i got in after about 3 weeks with a 167/3.95 and no outstanding softs of any kind. it was actually my first acceptance. you just need to apply early. also, i'd say no ED to GULC because you are a lock at Cornell and Cornell offers better job prospects and has a muuuch smaller class size, so if you are concerned with things of a purely practical nature in LS i'd pick Cornell - you don't want to eliminate Cornell from your options so early by EDing to Gtown.

yes, you can ED to UVA on September 1 and you might get in, but it's doubtful. there is much talk that UVA is trying to raise its LSAT median from 170 to 171 this cycle, and from what i have seen on TLS and LSN they are probably going to be raising their GPA median this cycle as well. i'd put your chances at slim. honestly, if i were you i'd ED to michigan if you are DYING to ED. FiveSermon also said M is doable with RD and he is right - ED would increase your chances but keep in mind that M has a limited # of ED slots (i think it's 45) and they are one of the more holistic t10s so if they don't like you, they won't let you in.

User avatar
Ialdabaoth
Posts: 240
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:26 pm

Re: 168 / 3.82 GPA - Any chance at T14s?

Postby Ialdabaoth » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:59 pm

SLS, also, re ED at Michigan, keep in mind the required summer start date. That doesn't appeal to me at all, so I'm not considering an ED there. Just a thought. HTH.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: 168 / 3.82 GPA - Any chance at T14s?

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:01 pm

Ialdabaoth wrote:SLS, also, re ED at Michigan, keep in mind the required summer start date. That doesn't appeal to me at all, so I'm not considering an ED there. Just a thought. HTH.

good point on that. i was thinking about this today. they start in just over 2 months :shock: :shock: :shock:

User avatar
Ialdabaoth
Posts: 240
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:26 pm

Re: 168 / 3.82 GPA - Any chance at T14s?

Postby Ialdabaoth » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:19 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
Ialdabaoth wrote:SLS, also, re ED at Michigan, keep in mind the required summer start date. That doesn't appeal to me at all, so I'm not considering an ED there. Just a thought. HTH.

good point on that. i was thinking about this today. they start in just over 2 months :shock: :shock: :shock:


Haha, yeah, I think I would be so burnt out by the time spring came around! I guess some people really like it though.

User avatar
Malcolm8X
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:56 pm

Re: 168 / 3.82 GPA - Any chance at T14s?

Postby Malcolm8X » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:23 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
Malcolm8X wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
Malcolm8X wrote:I say you have a chance at Columbia on down, if you use your ED powers wisely and apply early. Only thing is the ED comes with that risk. Now, T14 and $$$ is a different question.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

lolwut? no chance OP is getting Columbia, and NYU and Chicago are very risky ED's most likely resulting in waitlists. I'd suggest EDing Penn and Michigan, specifically Penn, for a more reasonable "reach" ED. But don't be surprised if you get WL off Penn ED too. UVA ED is out because you don't hit one of their medians. A 166/4.0 would have a better chance EDing UVA than OP IMO


My goodness. What was I thinking sending an app to Columbia? I probably got laughed at. Still, to say the OP got NO chance is still a stretch. It will require some grand softs and a WELL crafted PS, including an integrated or separate Why Columbia section, but it's a slight possibility:

167, 3.99 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/threewindows
168, 3.92 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ndgrad05

Question: Once you're put on the waitlist from an ED, couldn't you send out another ED contract?


you are a U.R.M. homie. in fact, aren't you AA? that puts you in a totally different realm

ALSO: threewindows - rural, probably first gen college working full time through UG, ndgrad05 - 4+ years as a military officer


these are exceptional softs that most people do not have. just a wild guess that OP doesn't have even close to these softs

also, FTR, i think 3.9+ GPAs are better than 3.8s (according to adcomms) and the difference should be noted between these examples and OP's numbers


I knew I'd get burned for this post..

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: 168 / 3.82 GPA - Any chance at T14s?

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:05 pm

I knew I'd get burned for this post..


Well giving URM advice to non-URM's is pretty unhelpful lol.

User avatar
Malcolm8X
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:56 pm

Re: 168 / 3.82 GPA - Any chance at T14s?

Postby Malcolm8X » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:25 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
I knew I'd get burned for this post..


Well giving URM advice to non-URM's is pretty unhelpful lol.


Lololol. S/he was a tenth of a gpa off from having a chance. I'll js keep my mouth shut. :roll:

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: 168 / 3.82 GPA - Any chance at T14s?

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:45 pm

Malcolm8X wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:
I knew I'd get burned for this post..


Well giving URM advice to non-URM's is pretty unhelpful lol.


Lololol. S/he was a tenth of a gpa off from having a chance. I'll js keep my mouth shut. :roll:

more like that plus 2-3 LSAT points

User avatar
LLB2JD
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: 168 / 3.82 GPA - Any chance at T14s?

Postby LLB2JD » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:02 pm

lol @ the banter between Pauli and Malcolm... You 2 might end up being section mates. Heck, maybe roommates too.

SLS_AMG
Posts: 491
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:18 pm

Re: 168 / 3.82 GPA - Any chance at T14s?

Postby SLS_AMG » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:33 pm

One more question (and I apologize in advance if it's a dumb one): does having an unusual major (I'm Finance and Spanish) help or hurt you at all?




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest