Question regarding GPA

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Eagles_Legendz

Question regarding GPA

Postby Eagles_Legendz » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:42 am

My UG GPA per year was:

Freshman:

Soph:

Junior:

Senior:

Will this play any role with a Committee's decision? I'm assuming the 2.8 is better to have stumbled through my freshman year than senior year, but is it something the Committee even considers?

subtle

Re: Question regarding GPA

Postby subtle » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:48 am

Yes and no. Calculate your LSDAS GPA. That's the number that's really going to count. If that number is within a school's range (and if your LSAT is as well) a school will have no problem overlooking freshman year.

Anyway, I say yes and no, because an upward grade trend can't hurt you, but it can't really help you all that much either. If you don't have the strongest grades, it's almost necessary that it's there, but it's not enough to guarantee that you'll get in. Or even seriously considered.

Eagles_Legendz

Postby Eagles_Legendz » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:51 am

I have a 166 on the LSAT. My LSAT puts me in the upper end of almost all the schools that I applied to, but my GPA puts me around the 25th percentile for most. I have significant work experience, but I'm curious as to how much my freshman GPA is going to weigh me down.

subtle

Postby subtle » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:58 am

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-content/uploads/Law-School-Predictor-LSDAS-GPA-Calculator.htm

Go there to calculate your LSDAS GPA. Then go to LSP and see what it tells you. Of course, take LSP with a grain of salt. It's clearly not entirely accurate--especially for splitters, reverse splitters, and minorities.

Anywho, it seems like the opinion around TLS is that if you at or above at least one median (preferably the LSAT), you have a fighting shot. Your work experience will likely help you, quite a bit. Have you applied already or are you applying this fall? If you're applying this fall, I think that if you picked your schools well (and if your LSAT is around the 75th percentile for the schools you picked it sounds like you did) that you'll probably have a cycle that is just fine.

Return to “What are my chances?”