Had a 3.7GPA till LSAC converted it into 2.3.Sugestions? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
fatduck

Gold

Re: Had a 3.7GPA till LSAC converted it into 2.3.Sugestions?

Post by fatduck » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:38 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:First, your story is very inspiring. What you have achieved with your advancement in your currant company is fantastic. That's the good news.

The bad news is that LSAC does in fact do what they do, and there's not a lot you can do to raise your UGPA. And with a GPA that low, getting into the very top law schools is going to require an LSAT that (for 99%+ of the population) is impossible to get. You may not need to get into one of those schools to fulfill your career aspirations though. Which brings me to...

Why do you want to leave the security that you have with what seems like a legitimate career to go to law school?
A URM would be hard pressed to get T14 with 2.3/180. He's not, there's not a chance in hell he gets it.
pretty sure 2.3/180 with managerial w/e would be a lock at northwestern

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:40 pm

fatduck wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:First, your story is very inspiring. What you have achieved with your advancement in your currant company is fantastic. That's the good news.

The bad news is that LSAC does in fact do what they do, and there's not a lot you can do to raise your UGPA. And with a GPA that low, getting into the very top law schools is going to require an LSAT that (for 99%+ of the population) is impossible to get. You may not need to get into one of those schools to fulfill your career aspirations though. Which brings me to...

Why do you want to leave the security that you have with what seems like a legitimate career to go to law school?
A URM would be hard pressed to get T14 with 2.3/180. He's not, there's not a chance in hell he gets it.
pretty sure 2.3/180 with managerial w/e would be a lock at northwestern
With ED, probably.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:40 pm

based on your background, I don't think you should go to law school...
if you insist though, the best route is retake and get a 170+ and maybe you can get into NU ED...

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:44 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Sounds like a call center supervisor or a car (or other product) sales manager. The OP could clarify if he wants.
I am also troubled by one so in need of funds that he works full time while attending college, yet has the time & money to retake courses in which he earned "C'" grades despite being able to test out of enough math & science courses to graduate in three years from a major university.
I used to cringe at some of your comments, but you've been gold lately CW.
FTFM

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:46 pm

fatduck wrote:pretty sure 2.3/180 with managerial w/e would be a lock at northwestern
They should just name it Northwestern Graduate School of Law Management and get it over with. Maybe they could get General Mills to sponsor it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Humbleguy

New

Post by Humbleguy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:54 pm

@kublaikahn - I said 25 people report to me. Thats not the total head count.
@ CanadianWolf - I dont post much on this website, but I have been reading alot of what has been posted here. Before sitting for the LSAT, or even deciding to try law, I spoke to the admission folks at the schools I applied to, read their brochures etc. I also spoke to friends and family friends who are lawyers, and I learned that law school are sticklers for high GPAs and great LSAT scores. Seeing as my situation has changed, it does not make much sense sitting and waiting around for results that is unlikely going to happen. I would rather figure out a solution( not do law or retake LSAT or leave my apps the way it is and see how things turnout) and plan accordingly.

It does not affect me in anyway if you dont believe me or are troubled by what I am saying. This is my situation, and I am looking for some guidance here. If you dont have any, theres no need for you to reply to the post.

bearsfan1

Bronze

Post by bearsfan1 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:43 pm

Sandro wrote:
I am more than willing to retake the LSAT in the fall and I believe I could prolly get a high 170
username: Humbleguy
LOL

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:51 pm

Humbleguy wrote:This is my situation, and I am looking for some guidance here.
I already gave you the guidance you need. If you hate your job and your company, the right answer is to get a new job at a different company. Law school is for people who want to be lawyers, not people who hate their jobs.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:53 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:

Wouldn't a Sudanese immigrant with a Nigerian mother be an African-American? Just sayin'.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheStrand

Bronze

Post by TheStrand » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:09 am

If you're dead set on doing it, it's not impossible since you're a URM. Retake and get 170+ anything less than that and even the admissions boost won't be able to counteract the GPA. According to LSP with URM boost you are a strong consider at Wisconsin with a 2.3.

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/

I would reconsider if I were you though, it seems like you are going places with your company. I know you hate it, but is there nothing else you can do?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:10 am

d34dluk3 wrote:
fatduck wrote:pretty sure 2.3/180 with managerial w/e would be a lock at northwestern
They should just name it Northwestern Graduate School of Law Management and get it over with. Maybe they could get General Mills to sponsor it.
I should make my SBA Presidential platform "rename the school to Kellogg Chicago Extension School"

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:11 am

geoduck wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:

Wouldn't a Sudanese immigrant with a Nigerian mother be an African-American? Just sayin'.
Yep.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:34 am

TheStrand wrote:If you're dead set on doing it, it's not impossible since you're a URM. Retake and get 170+ anything less than that and even the admissions boost won't be able to counteract the GPA. According to LSP with URM boost you are a strong consider at Wisconsin with a 2.3.

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/

I would reconsider if I were you though, it seems like you are going places with your company. I know you hate it, but is there nothing else you can do?
As someone with a 2.x who is almost fully through his cycle now, let me be the first to say that LSP is almost completely worthless for splitters. Hourumd and eyeballing the bottom right corner of the last few cycles of LSN is much more helpful, along with reading TLS to learn each school's admissions personality.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:38 am

Desert Fox wrote:
geoduck wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:

Yep.
What I got out of the OP is that he came to the states which wouldn't make him a US citizen. Do you need to be a US citizen to be a URM? Because the way I'm reading it, he's an African immigrant, which may or may not be the same thing in the admissions process.

aspeer

New

Post by aspeer » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:31 pm

I am astounded by the cruelty and the innuendo of these comments. Here is a person who is genuinely interested in some honest advice, and some commentators denigrate his success.

OP: Your story is definitely very inspiring, and you need to incorporate it strategically into your application either in personal statement or an addendum. I would go ahead and write a personal statement about your journey and what made you choose law.

About the GPA: there is not much you can do except explain it in addendum. Don't make it long, and don't make it sound like you are making excuses, but rather explain how you successfully overcame a challenge.

About LSAT: At this point, I would wait for your score, and if it is anything below 165, I would study hard and retake. A great LSAT score will definitely increase your chances and can compensate for the weakness in GPA.

Finally, I respect your choice to go to law school. You have to do what you think is right for you not what society percieves as success. Good luck and congratulations on all your amazing accomplishments. You definitely have a shot anywhere you apply.

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:34 pm

Danteshek wrote:OP needs to apply to BUSINESS SCHOOL. Harvard/Stanford will eat that stuff up.
THIS. Screw law school, OP. You don't need it.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:37 pm

d34dluk3 wrote: A URM would be hard pressed to get T14 with 2.3/180. He's not, there's not a chance in hell he gets it.
On the other hand, law schools care about a variety of different things. One of those things is nudging their GPA median up for USNWR. Another one of those things is seeing an alumns face on the cover of Newsweek in a story that reads "...from Sudan...runs major corporation...graduated from XYZ law school."

Kiersten1985 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:OP needs to apply to BUSINESS SCHOOL. Harvard/Stanford will eat that stuff up.
THIS. Screw law school, OP. You don't need it.
This again.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

parsi

Bronze

Post by parsi » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:43 pm

FuManChusco wrote:I just like the 150-165 range he gave for the LSAT.
I cracked up laughing when I read that in the original post.

OP-- do you know that 150 is at the 44th percentile and 165 is in the 92nd percentile? if you were testing in such a wide range, you need to study more.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:52 pm

aspeer wrote:I am astounded by the cruelty and the innuendo of these comments. Here is a person who is genuinely interested in some honest advice, and some commentators denigrate his success.

OP: Your story is definitely very inspiring, and you need to incorporate it strategically into your application either in personal statement or an addendum. I would go ahead and write a personal statement about your journey and what made you choose law.

About the GPA: there is not much you can do except explain it in addendum. Don't make it long, and don't make it sound like you are making excuses, but rather explain how you successfully overcame a challenge.

About LSAT: At this point, I would wait for your score, and if it is anything below 165, I would study hard and retake. A great LSAT score will definitely increase your chances and can compensate for the weakness in GPA.

Finally, I respect your choice to go to law school. You have to do what you think is right for you not what society percieves as success. Good luck and congratulations on all your amazing accomplishments. You definitely have a shot anywhere you apply.
+1. Not sure what's up with everyone in this thread. It is like an Internet bros party.

BrianGriffintheDog

Bronze

Post by BrianGriffintheDog » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:04 pm

Just out of curiosity, how did 3.7 became 2.3?

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:11 pm

aspeer wrote:Finally, I respect your choice to go to law school. You have to do what you think is right for you not what society percieves as success.
Give me a break. Well respected how-to-get-into-law-school guidebooks start out by telling readers to carefully consider whether law is right for them, and it's hard not to ask the same questions of a guy whose reason for going to law school is that he hates his job.

Do you write the same angry letter to Montauk for not respecting his readers' choices?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:44 pm

@BrianGriffentheDog: I also am curious as to how a 3.7 GPA becomes an LSDAS 2.3 GPA. Although I am not a math person, it seems that OP would need at least 30 courses (since he is about to graduate or has already graduated college ) averaging an "A-" to get a 3.7 GPA. OP writes that he retook courses. This suggests that he retook 30 courses in which he averaged a 0.9 "D-" to bring down his GPA to an LSDAS 2.3 GPA. Seems as if OP would have flunked out of college with 30 courses averaging a 0.9 GPA "D-".

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:45 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:@BrianGriffentheDog: I also am curious as to how a 3.7 GPA becomes an LSDAS 2.3 GPA. Although I am not a math person, it seems that OP would need at least 30 courses (since he is about to graduate or has already graduated college ) averaging an "A-" to get a 3.7 GPA. OP writes that he retook courses. This suggests that he retook 30 courses in which he averaged a 0.9 "D-" to bring down his GPA to an LSDAS 2.3 GPA. Seems as if OP would have flunked out of college with 30 courses averaging a 0.9 GPA "D-".
They were probably all Fs, which would mean he needs less of them to ruin his GPA.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:47 pm

And the issue isn't really whether or not the OP is engaging in "puffery" as much as it is about accurate information producing reasonable advice versus exaggerated information resulting in inappropriate advice.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:48 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:And the issue isn't really whether or not the OP is engaging in "puffery" as much as it is about accurate information producing reasonable advice versus exaggerated information resulting in inappropriate advice.
Puffery:

--ImageRemoved--

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”