Had a 3.7GPA till LSAC converted it into 2.3.Sugestions?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Humbleguy

Had a 3.7GPA till LSAC converted it into 2.3.Sugestions?

Postby Humbleguy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:46 pm

A little background about myself. I was born in Sudan to a sudanese father, and Nigerian mother. We were broke but lucky for us we got visas and we came to America. I got here at age 11 and started high school at age 12. Graduated at 16, and got into the university of Wisconsin. Tested out of all my English and math generals and could have finish college in 3 years. The second i got into college and had turn 16,I got a job and from then on I worked 40-45 hours so that I could help my parents. The result of that was that I had a lot of C's, but then came back and retook most of the classes I didnt do too well in and graduated with a 3.7.

I currently have a very successful career. I am in charge of a 100 million dollars segment of a large corporation. 25 people report to me. I was promoted a month ago to run a larger segment of the company(130million).

I became a US citizen couple of years ago. I speak 4 different languages. I took the LSAT in feb. If i had to guess my score It will be in the 150-165 range(thats what I got on the PTs). I did not know the LSAC had its own system of looking at grades, till about an hour ago. I applied to Minnesota, Wisconsin, William Mitchell, Vanderbilt, Indiana Bloomington, u of virgina.

Seeing as my GPA is terrible and I dont think I am going to get great score on LSAT. Should I withdraw from all these schools and retake the LSAT? Or take my chances?Any suggestions would help.

cinephile

Re: Had a 3.7GPA till LSAC converted it into 2.3.Sugestions?

Postby cinephile » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:02 pm

Why don't you just wait and see where/if you get in. If things don't go well, you can always retake the LSAT this summer.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:05 pm

First, your story is very inspiring. What you have achieved with your advancement in your currant company is fantastic. That's the good news.

The bad news is that LSAC does in fact do what they do, and there's not a lot you can do to raise your UGPA. And with a GPA that low, getting into the very top law schools is going to require an LSAT that (for 99%+ of the population) is impossible to get. You may not need to get into one of those schools to fulfill your career aspirations though. Which brings me to...

Why do you want to leave the security that you have with what seems like a legitimate career to go to law school?

Humbleguy

Postby Humbleguy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:19 pm

@patrickd139 - My career is great and things are comfortable, but I do not like my job and def do not like the company. I need to make a switch in the near future. What about schools like Hamline and St thomas - Minneapolis?

I am more than willing to retake the LSAT in the fall and I believe I could prolly get a high 170. That said, I would prefer to start law school this fall. Any suggestion?

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:25 pm

I am more than willing to retake the LSAT in the fall and I believe I could prolly get a high 170

username: Humbleguy

rose711

Postby rose711 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:28 pm

Did you write any addendums? Is there anything you can do to increase your chances by explaining your story? Can you contact the admissions offices and see

I think you might as well wait and see where you get in. Still, having this new information about your GPA probably changes you ideas about where you would go to school. I think that you should wait and see and work another year at your job.

I know you have overcome hardship - but it would be very foolish in this job market for lawyers and ITE generally to leave a good job. And if you do leave that good job, it would have to be for the best possible school you can get in. Don't end up with less than you could have achieved just because you are impatient. Go for the best.

You need to start thinking about waiting another year. You should also spend time on this forum so that you will get all the tips you need about studying for the LSAT and for applying to law school.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:32 pm

Some things just don't add up here. Despite my skepticism, why would you withdraw submitted law school applications when your LSAT score has not yet been furnished to you & your story explains your very low GPA. Withdrawing apps will not give you any chance to raise your college GPA.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Humbleguy

Postby Humbleguy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:35 pm

@CanadianWolf - what?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Humbleguy wrote:A little background about myself. I was born in Sudan to a sudanese father, and Nigerian mother. We were broke but lucky for us we got visas and we came to America. I got here at age 11 and started high school at age 12. Graduated at 16, and got into the university of Wisconsin. Tested out of all my English and math generals and could have finish college in 3 years. The second i got into college and had turn 16,I got a job and from then on I worked 40-45 hours so that I could help my parents. The result of that was that I had a lot of C's, but then came back and retook most of the classes I didnt do too well in and graduated with a 3.7.

I currently have a very successful career. I am in charge of a 100 million dollars segment of a large corporation. 25 people report to me. I was promoted a month ago to run a larger segment of the company(130million)

I became a US citizen couple of years ago. I speak 4 different languages. I took the LSAT in feb. If i had to guess my score It will be in the 150-165 range(thats what I got on the PTs). I did not know the LSAC had its own system of looking at grades, till about an hour ago. I applied to Minnesota, Wisconsin, William Mitchell, Vanderbilt, Indiana Bloomington, u of virgina.

Seeing as my GPA is terrible and I dont think I am going to get great score on LSAT. Should I withdraw from all these schools and retake the LSAT? Or take my chances?Any suggestions would help.

Why the fuck are you going to law school.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:37 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Some things just don't add up here.

Like what? The fact that he's willing to leave a very secure, probably well paying job to pursue a field with poor job prospects?

Considering his history, he's willing to do what it takes. I actually wouldn't want to bet against this guy achieving... however, I wouldn't want to bet for it either.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:39 pm

OP needs to apply to BUSINESS SCHOOL. Harvard/Stanford will eat that stuff up.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:39 pm

Unusual to apply to law school with such poor planning & lack of knowledge for one who is a highly successful business executive. However, if true, then business school is the way to go.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RockyIII

Postby RockyIII » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:39 pm

OP, yes I will give you $60000 to help you pay for law school. Oh wait that's not what you asked for? Nevermind then.

Humbleguy

Postby Humbleguy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:44 pm

@CanadianWolf - Poor planning? Explain

@ Danteshek - Everything is on the table.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:44 pm

I just like the 150-165 range he gave for the LSAT.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:45 pm

Humbleguy wrote:My career is great and things are comfortable, but I do not like my job and def do not like the company.

Step 1: make a resume. You need to do this for law school anyway.
Step 2: send it to companies. You have to have a personal network at this point that could help get you interviews at other places, and even if you don't, I'm sure you can think of competitors in your industry who would salivate over picking you up.
Step 3: interview well. You need to do this for law jobs anyway.
Step 4: profit.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:46 pm

Danteshek wrote:OP needs to apply to BUSINESS SCHOOL. Harvard/Stanford will eat that stuff up.

Agreed. Get his company to pay for an executive MBA and then bolt afterwards. It's the American way.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:48 pm

It has been explained. You invested a lot of time into applying to law schools & taking the LSAT without knowing that LSDAS considers all grades earned despite managing 25 people for a major corporation & receiving a recent promotion. Now you just want to withdraw all of your law school applications prior to receiving your LSAT score. Why ? Sounds like quitting to me which goes against the grain of your posted success story. Poor planning, lack of research & willing to quit too easily without any purpose. Why do you want advice about retaking the LSAT before receiving your score ?

kublaikahn

Postby kublaikahn » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:59 pm

What kind of business has a run rate of $4 million per FTE? You deal in blood diamonds? If you work in a business that can generate that kind of revenue with 25 people, you need to hang on like grim death.

RockyIII

Postby RockyIII » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:26 pm

kublaikahn wrote:What kind of business has a run rate of $4 million per FTE? You deal in blood diamonds? If you work in a business that can generate that kind of revenue with 25 people, you need to hang on like grim death.

He said 25 people report to him, not that 25 people work for his company

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:33 pm

If what you say is true, don't go to law school.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:34 pm

kublaikahn wrote:What kind of business has a run rate of $4 million per FTE? You deal in blood diamonds? If you work in a business that can generate that kind of revenue with 25 people, you need to hang on like grim death.

yea it's making a lot of scratch but no one wants to be in that business for long. in america it's bling-bling, in africa it's bling-bang, ya dig?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:36 pm

Sounds like a call center supervisor or a car (or other product) sales manager. The OP could clarify if he wants.
I am also troubled by one so in need of funds that he works full time while attending college, yet has the time & money to retake courses in which he earned "C'" grades despite being able to test out of enough math & science courses to graduate in three years from a major university. Again, the OP is too willing to quit too easily even before knowing his LSAT score & that conflicts with his success story as does his lack of planning & knowledge regarding applying to law schools.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:37 pm

patrickd139 wrote:First, your story is very inspiring. What you have achieved with your advancement in your currant company is fantastic. That's the good news.

The bad news is that LSAC does in fact do what they do, and there's not a lot you can do to raise your UGPA. And with a GPA that low, getting into the very top law schools is going to require an LSAT that (for 99%+ of the population) is impossible to get. You may not need to get into one of those schools to fulfill your career aspirations though. Which brings me to...

Why do you want to leave the security that you have with what seems like a legitimate career to go to law school?

A URM would be hard pressed to get T14 with 2.3/180. He's not, there's not a chance in hell he gets it.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:37 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Sounds like a call center supervisor or a car (or other product) sales manager. The OP could clarify if he wants.
I am also troubled by one so in need of funds that he works full time while attending college, yet has the time & money to retake courses in which he earned "C'" grades despite being able to test out of enough math & science courses to graduate in three years from a major university.

I used to cringe at some of your comments, but you've been gold lately CW.

Return to “What are my chances?”