Doctor wanting to be lawyer needs advice on chances

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mdwannabejd

Re: Doctor wanting to be lawyer needs advice on chances

Postby mdwannabejd » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:04 pm

Veyron wrote:Harvard - No
Yale - Maybe. Though Yale is usually the toughest school in the country to crack and your numbers are waaaaaay subpar, your background might be just the sort of thing they would, in a very Yale - like way - overlook numerical quality for. Don't get your hopes up, they usually only do this for famous authors and the like.
Stanford - No

All others, legitimate shot. Even though your GPA sucks for Berk, they do and will go below their 25% GPA for people like you.

170 or above and I would be shocked to see no HYS on the admit list. I question if you are intelligent enough to get a 170 since you have demonstrated poor cognitive skills by ditching a stunningly successful career in medicine to tempt fate among the wilderness of law school but I respect your need to follow your passion.

Hi Veyron! You and Cdn Wold appear to differ on whether HYS is doable considering my low numbers but interesting life experience/accomplishments. Why do you think both of you differ on the likelikhood of getting into HYS? Thanks!

mdwannabejd

Postby mdwannabejd » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:08 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Veyron wrote:You have demonstrated poor cognitive skills by ditching a stunningly successful career in medicine to tempt fate among the wilderness of law school but I respect your need to follow your passion.

I meant to quote this in my above post, for TITCR, +160K

MR P, thanks for your candor and for addressing possible earnings potential differences between law and medicine. I do NOT take offense.
Last edited by mdwannabejd on Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:09 pm

mdwannabejd wrote:
Veyron wrote:Harvard - No
Yale - Maybe. Though Yale is usually the toughest school in the country to crack and your numbers are waaaaaay subpar, your background might be just the sort of thing they would, in a very Yale - like way - overlook numerical quality for. Don't get your hopes up, they usually only do this for famous authors and the like.
Stanford - No

All others, legitimate shot. Even though your GPA sucks for Berk, they do and will go below their 25% GPA for people like you.

170 or above and I would be shocked to see no HYS on the admit list. I question if you are intelligent enough to get a 170 since you have demonstrated poor cognitive skills by ditching a stunningly successful career in medicine to tempt fate among the wilderness of law school but I respect your need to follow your passion.

Hi Veyron! You and Cdn Wold appear to differ on whether HYS is doable considering my low numbers but interesting life experience/accomplishments. Why do you think both of you differ on the likelikhood of getting into HYS? Thanks!

We likely differ on our predictions because predicting the success of someone with mediocre numbers but an amazing background at HYS is like trying to predict the sale-price of a rare painting on the auction block at Sotheby's.

NZA

Postby NZA » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:11 pm

I'm a tad confused, OP:

1) Why become a lawyer, now?

2) Why wasn't practicing law your first career?

mdwannabejd

Postby mdwannabejd » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:14 pm

nygrrrl wrote:Hi there! Welcome to TLS - there are many resources here that I hope you'll find useful.
First off... ignore MrPapaG (we get it, G - the money sucks.) :lol:
There are one if not two MD's in this thread who are doing what you hope to do
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=143047
plus, it's a great resource for those of us who are (ahem) over 30 and may have different concerns from some of our classmates.
First thing is, get that LSAT score up. I loved the PowerScore books but check out the threads on how to do well - PM or post with questions and again, welcome!

Thanks NYgrrrl!! I will look into the PowerScore books this week....it has been a while since I wrote a standardized test. Thanks!

mdwannabejd

Postby mdwannabejd » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:20 pm

TheStrand wrote:
mdwannabejd wrote:Please also recommend any other schools that you feel might be suitable

Where do you want to end up practicing and do you have a vague idea of what kind of law? And what your wife wants to do while you're in school or where your girls might go for school?

Northwestern would probably love to have you, and they have an two year accelerated JD program as well so if you are in a hurry to get back to the workforce, that would be nice. Plus Chicago would offer a big market for your wife to find employment if she needed to. Any particular reason you didn't list Columbia or NYU?

The Strand, thanks so much for your thoughtful response. Wife is homeschooling the girls....to answer wife job opportunity and girls' school needs. I love the idea of a 2 year program and that is why I included NW. Less interested in living in a huge city like NYC, so did not include Columbia or NYU....but would definitely consider if folks thought that might be a good fit for a Non trad student like me.

Any thoughts on chances at Yale or Stanford???? Thanks

mdwannabejd

Postby mdwannabejd » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:22 pm

TheStrand wrote:
mdwannabejd wrote:Please also recommend any other schools that you feel might be suitable

Where do you want to end up practicing and do you have a vague idea of what kind of law?

Open to practicing anywhere in the U.S. but have a preference for mild winters. IP and malpractice would be a natural fit...but also have interest in tax and criminal...I expect I will change my mind several times once in law school. Thanks!

mdwannabejd

Postby mdwannabejd » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:28 pm

NZA wrote:I'm a tad confused, OP:

1) Why become a lawyer, now?

2) Why wasn't practicing law your first career?

NZA, great questions...one that I am sure the admissions deans will be asking themselves when they review my app. After 10 years in medicine I have been fortunate to have met several professional milestones ("top of our game:" as NYgrrrl said). While I am sure that the practice of law is not as interesting and exciting as I currently think it is....medicine is much less rewarding than what many of you probably think. Insurance companies make your life miserable and patients are always threatening to sue...especially for surgeons. I have always felt like a "lawyer trapped in a medical career". Now that I have a LITTLE financial independence....and I stress LITTLE as reimbursements and salaries have gone WAY down over the past years...I feel it is time for the change. BTW, I chose medicine over law in 1991 when I was admitted to University of Toronto Law with 166 LSAT. Part of that decision was the fact that there were very few unemployed doctors but a lot of unemployed lawyers......Thanks!

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:32 pm

mdwannabejd wrote:Part of that decision was the fact that there were very few unemployed doctors but a lot of unemployed lawyers

This is as true today as it was back then. Simple supply/demand curves will explain why unemployment for doctors is lower than that of lawyers. If you want to switch, pursue your dream and I wish you the best of luck in doing so.

mdwannabejd

Postby mdwannabejd » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:10 pm

Hey y'all!

Its been a long time since I posted this. I will be taking the LSAT again in June. My 166 score is 20 years old! I will repost again in the summer with my LSAT score and look out for some advice and guidance as I don't really have access to anyone to bounce ideas off. And lastly, I looked up what "flame" means (since I had no idea) and this is definitely not a flame. Not sure why someone came to that conclusion. Just a 41 year old surgeon who is looking to make a career switch and would love the opportunity to go to HYS and be around really smart, interesting people who do NOT think like doctors. Thanks y'all!

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:14 pm

mdwannabejd wrote:Hey y'all!

Its been a long time since I posted this. I will be taking the LSAT again in June. My 166 score is 20 years old! I will repost again in the summer with my LSAT score and look out for some advice and guidance as I don't really have access to anyone to bounce ideas off. And lastly, I looked up what "flame" means (since I had no idea) and this is definitely not a flame. Not sure why someone came to that conclusion. Just a 41 year old surgeon who is looking to make a career switch and would love the opportunity to go to HYS and be around really smart, interesting people who do NOT think like doctors. Thanks y'all!

So what's your question, exactly?
I'm guessing since the only question here is in your title, you want to know your chances of HYS. Well, you have not listed a GPA or a current LSAT practice test range or current test score. The test is A LOT different from 20 years ago, so essentially knowing you got a 166 in 1991 is not helpful. Post stats and we can make guesses.

mdwannabejd

Postby mdwannabejd » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:29 pm

Deecee,

I guess my question was why did someone post a "flame" photo insinuating that my post was not genuine???

Anyways, here was my original post and I will repost again after taking the LSAT in June as I am not a big fan of "hypothetical LSAT scores". I am currently practice testing at 170-172 but ALWAYS run out of time on those damn logic games. Thanks!

I am a medical doctor that has been practicing as a subspecialty surgeon for 10 years and is ready to pursue my true passion of studying the law. I would be most appreciative of any advice on how competitive my application will be considering the following somewhat atypical stats and background.

41 years old, practicing surgeon for 10 years
Undergraduate GPA in challenging undergrad pre-med program at McGill University 3.61. Suffered "sophmore jinx" and had bad second year. Graduated with "Great Distinction"
Medical School at McGill University
Internship and 5 years of postgrad residency training plus one year subspecialty fellowship
MBA degree from University of Michigan during first job in academic medicine
LSAT of 166 = 94 percentile in 1991 (20 yrs ago!!). Will write again this summer...assuming similar or better score
Numerous research papers from first job in academic medicine
Leadership skills of starting up and running solo surgical practice
Selected to America's Top Surgeons every year since 2007
Manuscript reviewer for many years for several scientific journals
Lectured nationally and internationally in my subspecialty area
Married with two girls 4 and 6

Please advise on chances of acceptance at Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Northwestern, Univ Texas, Univ Michigan (alumni), UC Berkeley.

Please also recommend any other schools that you feel might be suitable

I am new to this forum and this whole concept of applications and stats etc so I sure appreciate your comments!!

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:48 pm

If this isn't a flame -- and you have to see why it seems that way with a highly successful surgeon wanting to go to law school in his or her 40s -- I think you have a very good chance of outperforming your numbers. I'd say you are in at least one of HYS with a 166+ and possibly sweep all 3 with a 170+. At the other schools, you would be a candidate for the named scholarships for full tuition.

Beyond doing well on the LSAT, having an interesting reason to go to law school will be the biggest help for HYS. From the thread it seems that you actually want to be a practicing lawyer. While this is obviously what the average applicant should expect and be able to live with, I don't think that will impress HYS in your case as someone over 40 very successful in your current career. To them it might just look like a midlife crisis that once over will send you back to medicine. If you wanted to do something that would make use of your medical background like something in academia, public policy, or legislation that would make the school look good for graduating you it would help. Most big, prestigious law firms that these schools like to send their graduates to will be wary hiring you at 45 because they know they won't be able to work you like the 25 year old associate at his first real job. At the rest of the t13, however, you should be good to go in the mid-160's. You obviously are intelligent and a hard worker and not far outside the numbers they typically admit anyway. The challenge of HYS is to get them to take someone with significantly lower numbers than they typically take.

I think you should look at a school that offers you the largest scholarship since you do not need to rely on your school's reputation as much as traditional students without significant work experience needs to. That you would be a valuable asset to a firm / organization that could make use of your medical knowledge is self evident. HTH

mdwannabejd

Postby mdwannabejd » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:03 pm

AreJay711 wrote:If this isn't a flame -- and you have to see why it seems that way with a highly successful surgeon wanting to go to law school in his or her 40s -- I think you have a very good chance of outperforming your numbers. I'd say you are in at least one of HYS with a 166+ and possibly sweep all 3 with a 170+. At the other schools, you would be a candidate for the named scholarships for full tuition.

Beyond doing well on the LSAT, having an interesting reason to go to law school will be the biggest help for HYS. From the thread it seems that you actually want to be a practicing lawyer. While this is obviously what the average applicant should expect and be able to live with, I don't think that will impress HYS in your case as someone over 40 very successful in your current career. To them it might just look like a midlife crisis that once over will send you back to medicine. If you wanted to do something that would make use of your medical background like something in academia, public policy, or legislation that would make the school look good for graduating you it would help. Most big, prestigious law firms that these schools like to send their graduates to will be wary hiring you at 45 because they know they won't be able to work you like the 25 year old associate at his first real job. At the rest of the t13, however, you should be good to go in the mid-160's. You obviously are intelligent and a hard worker and not far outside the numbers they typically admit anyway. The challenge of HYS is to get them to take someone with significantly lower numbers than they typically take.

I think you should look at a school that offers you the largest scholarship since you do not need to rely on your school's reputation as much as traditional students without significant work experience needs to. That you would be a valuable asset to a firm / organization that could make use of your medical knowledge is self evident. HTH

AreJay711,

Thanks so much for such a detailed and thoughtful answer. I see that you are at Michigan and Michigan is probably my first choice outside of YHS because I am not so keen on NYC with a wife and two young daughters and we were unable to sell our house in MI when we left in 2006 so we would at least have somewhere to live.

With regard to the flame issue...not sure why anyone would waste their time making something up to post on a blog/website just to get responses that have no real value since their situation is not real.....I guess things have changed since I was in college...LOL....none of us had computers or cell phone etc.

I have been warned about the possible "mid life crisis" viewpoint of my application and appreciate you confirming this potential pitfall. I will do my best to address this in my PS. I think my biggest strength will be trying to emphasize that perhaps my life experiences might add to the overall experience of other students at HYS...because I certainly don't have the GPA or the LSAT of the typical YHS student. I wish I could say that I have already planned out a definitive career path that will utilize my M.D. e.g. IP law or malpractice litigation etc. but the truth is that I have no idea what type of law I want to eventually practice and am eager to be introduced to the various specialties. I agree that the typical "big law" firm will prefer the 25 year old, single graduate to the 45 year old married with kids graduate and my options will be limited by firm preference and my wife's preference! :)

Thanks again for your input and I will PM you to get some of your views on the Michigan experience.

sjk

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:18 pm

It is difficult for me to imagine any law school rejecting you provided that your LSAT is in the mid-160s or above.
There is a significant difference among law schools regarding student body quality and that is often reflected in the teaching methods used in class. To avoid boredom, try to attend a Top 20 or higher ranked law school.
Consider attending Law Preview--a 5 or 6 day course held at various law school locations throughout the summer. The course offers an overview of the content & skills encountered during one's first year of law school. This experience will help prepare you to become a student again as well as to give you an opportunity to evaluate whether or not law school is for you. Law Preview is offered at SMU August 1st -6th, Austin at the AT&T Conference Center at Univ. of Texas (July 18-23) & at Northwestern University School of Law on June 20th-25th among several other locations. Cost ranges from $998 to $1298 depending upon certain discounts and whether one enrolls in the 5 day or 6 day course. 1-(888)-773-7968.
Since you do not want New York City, then consider Harvard, Stanford, Yale & Northwestern (more mature students with work experience, spectacular location in Chicago facing Lake Michigan & next to Northwestern's medical school). Texas, UCLA, Chicago, WashUStL, Penn, Duke, Virginia & other Top 20 law schools are also candidates, but you might find the student body too young & inexperienced in the real world, in my opinion.

mdwannabejd

Postby mdwannabejd » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:27 pm

Thanks, CanadianWolf. Appreciate your time and advice.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:04 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:It is difficult for me to imagine any law school rejecting you provided that your LSAT is in the mid-160s or above.
There is a significant difference among law schools regarding student body quality and that is often reflected in the teaching methods used in class. To avoid boredom, try to attend a Top 20 or higher ranked law school.
Consider attending Law Preview--a 5 or 6 day course held at various law school locations throughout the summer. The course offers an overview of the content & skills encountered during one's first year of law school. This experience will help prepare you to become a student again as well as to give you an opportunity to evaluate whether or not law school is for you. Law Preview is offered at SMU August 1st -6th, Austin at the AT&T Conference Center at Univ. of Texas (July 18-23) & at Northwestern University School of Law on June 20th-25th among several other locations. Cost ranges from $998 to $1298 depending upon certain discounts and whether one enrolls in the 5 day or 6 day course. 1-(888)-773-7968.
Since you do not want New York City, then consider Harvard, Stanford, Yale & Northwestern (more mature students with work experience, spectacular location in Chicago facing Lake Michigan & next to Northwestern's medical school). Texas, UCLA, Chicago, WashUStL, Penn, Duke, Virginia & other Top 20 law schools are also candidates, but you might find the student body too young & inexperienced in the real world, in my opinion.

Class full of Ibankers, hedge fund managers, TFA, and Peace Corps members = young and inexperienced? Hmmmmmm. You do know that only 1/3 of Penn students are straight thru. . . or were you just talking out of your ass and trolling for law preview as you always do?

futurehero

Postby futurehero » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:21 pm

Wow. You are fantastic.

Some people here discourage you but I think it's worthwhile to get a JD even in the practical point of view. You wouldn't be just an ordinary lawyer with that kind of a serious expertise, right?

Once you get a JD, I think your success in medical-related legal fields is almost guaranteed (or at least you can start with a great advantage) They are many doctors and lawyers but not many MD/JDs. Why wouldn't you give a shot?

For you, I don't think HYS prestige is a necessity but I recommend you to apply for S.
I know some guys in S law, and some of them, even though they are not URM, have 160s lsat score. Your softs rocks, and S cares about softs a lot. I think you have decent chance there.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:38 pm

If this is not a flame, then there are things going on here you're not revealing. That's perfectly fine, of course, but I do think adcoms will want to hear the full story, or at least a fuller, more convincing story than you're giving here. Especially at the caliber of schools you're looking to target.

I and others are suspicious because highly successful surgeons with many years of practice do not have the personality to just get up and leave their profession by choice, seemingly on a whim. A lowly resident in internal medicine, much more plausible... Even if you've thought about this for many years, that's what it'll look like, again based on the story you've posted. Or it'll seem like you're acting on a naive "grass is greener" type of impulse.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:53 pm

drdolittle wrote:If this is not a flame, then there are things going on here you're not revealing. That's perfectly fine, of course, but I do think adcoms will want to hear the full story, or at least a fuller, more convincing story than you're giving here. Especially at the caliber of schools you're looking to target.

I and others are suspicious because highly successful surgeons with many years of practice do not have the personality to just get up and leave their profession by choice, seemingly on a whim. A lowly resident in internal medicine, much more plausible... Even if you've thought about this for many years, that's what it'll look like, again based on the story you've posted. Or it'll seem like you're acting on a naive "grass is greener" type of impulse.

TBF, I believe this story. We have people like this at Penn.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:57 pm

Veyron wrote:
drdolittle wrote:If this is not a flame, then there are things going on here you're not revealing. That's perfectly fine, of course, but I do think adcoms will want to hear the full story, or at least a fuller, more convincing story than you're giving here. Especially at the caliber of schools you're looking to target.

TBF, I believe this story. We have people like this at Penn.

Surgeons, with these kind of creds? Why are they there?

firemed

Postby firemed » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:58 pm

Veyron wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:I don't know how much money you make as a sub-specialty surgeon, but many specialists (especially surgeons) make bank. Compared to the medical field, law is shit shit shit. You say that law is your true passion, but the fact is medicine is the rational choice here. If I was smart enough to make it in med school, I would NOT be going to law school. I think that many on TLS feel similarly.

TBF, law appeals to a completely different type of person than medicine. I would be miserable in medicine no matter how much you paid me.

Still, ceteris paribus, WTF?

While I am only a paramedic, and my experience in law offices is limited... I found that both used similar parts of the brain for many things (ie. taking a history to make a diagnosis is very similar to taking a "history" to determine if someone might have a case). They are different, yet I think there are some similarities. Also I think that people with high intelligence will find the differences refreshing in a way.

Still, I also have to ask why the hell you would switch jobs??? You have a successful career making bank with a guaranteed job. You are also probably done paying off your loans. Find a hobby or start an NGO or something, I would say. But whatever.

I will second some things though: if you get above 170 you can look at an acceptance at one of HYS, the rest are almost certainly admits assuming that a) you score 167+ and b) you aren't making up the OP.

Also, I will second the" why not go to U of Toronto/McGill?" question.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:04 pm

mdwannabejd wrote:Hi folks,

I am a medical doctor that has been practicing as a subspecialty surgeon for 10 years and is ready to pursue my true passion of studying the law. I would be most appreciative of any advice on how competitive my application will be considering the following somewhat atypical stats and background.

41 years old, practicing surgeon for 10 years
Undergraduate GPA in challenging undergrad pre-med program at McGill University 3.61. Suffered "sophmore jinx" and had bad second year. Graduated with "Great Distinction"
Medical School at McGill University
Internship and 5 years of postgrad residency training plus one year subspecialty fellowship
MBA degree from University of Michigan during first job in academic medicine
LSAT of 166 = 94 percentile in 1991 (20 yrs ago!!). Will write again this summer...assuming similar or better score
Numerous research papers from first job in academic medicine
Leadership skills of starting up and running solo surgical practice
Selected to America's Top Surgeons every year since 2007
Manuscript reviewer for many years for several scientific journals
Lectured nationally and internationally in my subspecialty area
Married with two girls 4 and 6
Dual citizen of USA and Canada

Please advise on chances of acceptance at Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Northwestern, Univ Texas, Univ Michigan (alumni), UC Berkeley.

Please also recommend any other schools that you feel might be suitable

I am new to this forum and this whole concept of applications and stats etc so I sure appreciate your comments!!

Thanks! :)

MDwannabeJD

Edit: I didn't notice how much you have apparently distinguished yourself as a medical professional when I read through your post initially. I think your softs may have a significant effect even at some of the very top schools, but I would still focus on the LSAT more than anything (and I wouldn't assume the same or a higher score). There are people who reportedly took the LSAT around the time of UG and then retook many years later who said that they were surprised to find that they had a harder time scoring as well later on. Your distinguished WE should be looked at as a very strong soft, but with how numbers-driven law school admissions is I still wouldn't be surprised if you don't break Y/H/S (especially if you don't break 170s on LSAT).

I realize that you touched on this a bit, but I am still somewhat curious about why you are wanting to transition to law at this point given that you are at the top of the medical profession. I think that if you are planning on leaving medicine behind completely you may be a harder sell to law schools; part of the reason you may get a significant boost for your WE would be that you could leverage this experience after law school IMO (and hence make the law school you went to look good). I think how you address this type of question in your PS could have bearing on the level of interest various schools have in you.
Last edited by Lawquacious on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:14 pm

@Veyron: This is the first time that I have ever mentioned Law Preview which seems appropriate for the OP to get an overview of law school & to prepare to be a student again. I have no connection whatsoever with Law Preview.

P.S. Veyron is the resident Penn troll who seems to have difficulty making a point without insulting others. So OP, Penn also seems to have a good number of law students with work experience, but not nearly as many as does Northwestern with 98%.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:14 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:First off... ignore MrPapaG (we get it, G - the money sucks.) :lol:

First thing is, get that LSAT score up. I loved the PowerScore books but check out the threads on how to do well - PM or post with questions and again, welcome!

You include Veyron then you single me out? Come on :lol:

But on a real note, the second part is good advice. With a 170 LSAT you should get in to at least one of HYS. Good luck. And personally, PowerScore raised my LSAT 13 points (156-169). :D

Everytime I read your posts I add an "ALLLRRIIIGHT" at the end in my head.

Return to “What are my chances?”