176/3.86

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
BrianGriffintheDog

Re: 176/3.86

Postby BrianGriffintheDog » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:57 am

Drake014 wrote:
wothli wrote:I'm curious, as someone from China, in your mind, what does an international law concentration mean?

Maybe it's an oxymoron...China & International law :lol:

violinst

Postby violinst » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:03 am

I am pretty sure that the No. 2 guy (JD) at Cornell last year came directly from China. It's amazing that a non-native speaker could kill law classes like that.

wothli

Postby wothli » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:17 am

violinst wrote:I am pretty sure that the No. 2 guy (JD) at Cornell last year came directly from China. It's amazing that a non-native speaker could kill law classes like that.

I am amazed that Cornell accepts people directly from China, since I thought most U.S. law schools only accept students that studied in the U.S.

violinst

Postby violinst » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:24 am

wothli wrote:
violinst wrote:I am pretty sure that the No. 2 guy (JD) at Cornell last year came directly from China. It's amazing that a non-native speaker could kill law classes like that.

I am amazed that Cornell accepts people directly from China, since I thought most U.S. law schools only accept students that studied in the U.S.

No, that's not true.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:57 am

icpb wrote:American citizens and permanent residents with Chinese ancestry would not receive URM boost, but they don't seem to be disadvantaged in the process either (they seem to be considered on the same terms as other non-URM).

Admission is harder and less predictable for Chinese and Indian international students attending undergrads on F-1 visas in the US. For these students, most of the high achieving ones want to go to law school for the prestige or go into investment banking for the money. Since there are a lot of qualified students (especially from top privates), and law schools don't want the international students they admit to be mostly Chinese and Indian, competition is fiercer than that facing American citizens and permanent residents.

Admissions is hardest for international students (especially Chinese and Indian) who are doing undergrads abroad, since GPA would not be reported and LSAT has greater weight.

wothli wrote:
oxygenate wrote:I would say that Chinese students who are US citizens or permanent residents fare a little better than international students who happen to be Chinese. But this is just a guess. Don't let your ethnicity be an obstacle in gaining admission to top law schools.

It makes sense to me in this way. Because I personally know very few people who apply to law school directly from China.
So I assume that the competition is not as fierce.

I know this has been claimed on these threads before, but I am really not sure if Chinese and Indian international students are really at a disadvantage. Granted, I was only looking at the lower T14, while OP with his/her numbers need only look at T6, but my cycle played out by numbers, if not better.

wothli

Postby wothli » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:09 am

applepiecrust wrote:
icpb wrote:American citizens and permanent residents with Chinese ancestry would not receive URM boost, but they don't seem to be disadvantaged in the process either (they seem to be considered on the same terms as other non-URM).

Admission is harder and less predictable for Chinese and Indian international students attending undergrads on F-1 visas in the US. For these students, most of the high achieving ones want to go to law school for the prestige or go into investment banking for the money. Since there are a lot of qualified students (especially from top privates), and law schools don't want the international students they admit to be mostly Chinese and Indian, competition is fiercer than that facing American citizens and permanent residents.

Admissions is hardest for international students (especially Chinese and Indian) who are doing undergrads abroad, since GPA would not be reported and LSAT has greater weight.

wothli wrote:
oxygenate wrote:I would say that Chinese students who are US citizens or permanent residents fare a little better than international students who happen to be Chinese. But this is just a guess. Don't let your ethnicity be an obstacle in gaining admission to top law schools.

It makes sense to me in this way. Because I personally know very few people who apply to law school directly from China.
So I assume that the competition is not as fierce.

I know this has been claimed on these threads before, but I am really not sure if Chinese and Indian international students are really at a disadvantage. Granted, I was only looking at the lower T14, while OP with his/her numbers need only look at T6, but my cycle played out by numbers, if not better.

I don't quite know about India, but I do know that Uchicago did not accept anyone directedly from China for many years. And out of all the Chinese international students studying at NU with me now, I am the only one who plan to go to law school.

So I guess that says something about the competition.

oxygenate

Postby oxygenate » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:28 am

BrianGriffintheDog wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
wothli wrote:I'm curious, as someone from China, in your mind, what does an international law concentration mean?

Maybe it's an oxymoron...China & International law :lol:

You're probably right. :lol:

While their oral and slang skills are not likely as good as yours, they're mostly visual learners who are endowed with amazing work ethics which allow them to plow through dense legal texts. Plus most of them are test-taking machines, having received training since childhood. Now, they may not be as creative or successful lawyers are you may be, but in terms of exam, they pawn most of the time.

wothli wrote:

Cornell likes accepting more Asian students who studied in their home countries to make their Asian law program more competitive.

icpb

Postby icpb » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:31 pm

wothli wrote:So I guess that says something about the competition.

That says something about competition at NU. At a certain Ivy, out of 7 (all) Chinese international students I know in my grade, 3 are applying to law schools, 3 want to do investment banking in Hong Kong, and 1 wants to go back to China to become a civil servant. Out of 5 (all) Indian international students I know in my grade, 2 are applying to law schools, 1 wants to do investment banking, and 2 are applying to med schools.

For your case, I say good chance at H and in at CCN. YS are blackboxes.

wothli

Postby wothli » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:43 am

icpb wrote:
wothli wrote:So I guess that says something about the competition.

That says something about competition at NU. At a certain Ivy, out of 7 (all) Chinese international students I know in my grade, 3 are applying to law schools, 3 want to do investment banking in Hong Kong, and 1 wants to go back to China to become a civil servant. Out of 5 (all) Indian international students I know in my grade, 2 are applying to law schools, 1 wants to do investment banking, and 2 are applying to med schools.

For your case, I say good chance at H and in at CCN. YS are blackboxes.

Interesting. I think I am the only one in NU wanting to go to law school, all the other people want to work in investment banking.

PhilEconCS

Postby PhilEconCS » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:18 pm

Your numbers are kickass... you have a shot everywhere. Also, philosophy and physics is an amazing combination.

wothli

Postby wothli » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:34 am

PhilEconCS wrote:Your numbers are kickass... you have a shot everywhere. Also, philosophy and physics is an amazing combination.

Thanks!
And I love Philosophy and Physics! I think the suit each other very well - I always see philosophy as an extension of physics. Well, you can argue that it is an extension of science in general - I would agree.

Return to “What are my chances?”