Torn and confused about what I should do and need help

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
CP2323

Torn and confused about what I should do and need help

Postby CP2323 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:55 pm

I am torn on what to do and need advice. I took the LSAT cold with no prep on 3 hours sleep and didn't take it seriously. I was in graduate school and was thinking that Law School wasn't even an option due to my undergraduate GPA. Now after reading TLS I think I had that wrong.

Some background information about me:
LSAT 157
uGPA 2.33 but that is split between a 1.52 1995-1998 and a 3.25 2004-2009
Disabled veteran from the US Navy who joined after 9/11. 7 years active duty and honorable discharge VA rating at 50%.
Married Father of 3 girls.
Graduate school for Social Studies Education with a 3.85 GPA
Teaching internship at a title 1 school
Teaching job at an inner city title 1 school
Low income single mother household as a child. My mother and I were on welfare when I was younger and I started working at 14 to help support us. Even before that most of the money I received for gifts went to help pay our bills.

My problem is that I can attend a tier 3 school (Akron) for free due to my GI bill but I think I could get into a higher school next cycle. I took a practice LSAT last night and scored a 168. I know with practice and the bibles I can hit 170+.

What are my chances of getting into a top school (maybe Northwestern) since I have so much work experience.

rebexness

Re: Torn and confused about what I should do and need help

Postby rebexness » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:03 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redsoxfan2495

Postby redsoxfan2495 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:08 pm

UGPA will hurt you pretty bad, but there's plenty in your resume to suggest that it isn't indicative of your current ability to succeed academically. With a 170+ your options will improve significantly, but that GPA will probably keep you out of the schools that 170+'s usually end up in. I suppose you could always start off at a lesser school, work hard, and transfer.

Go here and enter 2.33 170. It isn't pretty.

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-content/uploads/Law-School-Predictor-Full-Time-Programs.htm

ATR

Postby ATR » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:27 pm

Things that matter:
CP2323 wrote:LSAT 157

uGPA 2.33

Disabled veteran from the US Navy who joined after 9/11. 7 years active duty and honorable discharge VA rating at 50%.

Low income single mother household as a child. My mother and I were on welfare when I was younger and I started working at 14 to help support us. Even before that most of the money I received for gifts went to help pay our bills.

I took a practice LSAT last night and scored a 168. I know with practice and the bibles I can hit 170+.

Work your ass off on preparing for the LSAT. You're probably going to need a 172+ to get NW via ED. Still, it's not a sure bet considering your uGPA. One thing to ask -- is that your LSDAS GPA, or is it just the total you added up? The LSDAS is what matters.

If you can't get into NW via ED, you should still get in some good schools with a high LSAT. Good luck!

CP2323

Postby CP2323 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:33 pm

It is my LSDAS GPA. Does the fact that my scores under 3.0 are 14+ years old? I wish there was a way to get rid of my junior college transcript all together. :? Oh well I guess I will study and attempt to kill the LSAT.

Return to “What are my chances?”