Splitter applying in September - chances? (2.8x-171)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Youppi315
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:00 pm

Splitter applying in September - chances? (2.8x-171)

Postby Youppi315 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:13 pm

Hi all. First time poster.

Where should I be applying (reaches - targets - and safeties to use for bargaining power)? If market matters, I'd prefer D.C. but from what I've gathered in my short time here is Washington is very "hot", and in demand. After D.C., I'd probably rank my preferred markets like this: New York > Chicago > Los Angeles >> Texas >>> Atlanta/Miami/Boston/Seattle. Anyway, perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself. Having a market paying job would be more important than the market itself.

I don't have any significant work experience (jr. in college) and my softs are just what you'd expect from someone who made up their mind about law school their freshmen year (club leadership, student government, lots of volunteer work).

My GPA trend can't be called great (considering I still ended up with a 2.8something) but after a TERRIBLE freshman year (I was kicked out of my program and almost lost any financial aid) I became a straight B student. No excuses really. I just didn't take any of the work very seriously (and for that reason I won't be submitting an addendum).

Perhaps this belongs in the order forum but I'm wondering what sort of tips I should use in the process. Am I supposed to apply on the first day everywhere apps open? Do I travel to each school and meet with adcoms?

Thanks to everyone in advance.

ausoccer19
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:05 am

Re: Splitter applying in September - chances? (2.8x-171)

Postby ausoccer19 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:19 pm

If you have work experience, though it sounds like you don't, ED to Northwestern. Without work experience, a UVa ED may be worth it, but they seem to have a pretty hard GPA floor at 3.0 so even that is a stretch. I would throw an app to WUSTL and get a nice scholarship offer if you don't want much debt.

Youppi315
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:00 pm

Re: Splitter applying in September - chances? (2.8x-171)

Postby Youppi315 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:22 pm

ausoccer19 wrote:If you have work experience, though it sounds like you don't, ED to Northwestern. Without work experience, a UVa ED may be worth it, but they seem to have a pretty hard GPA floor at 3.0 so even that is a stretch. I would throw an app to WUSTL and get a nice scholarship offer if you don't want much debt.


I have 40k of ug debt so I'd really like to limit adding on. I suppose to get a scholarship offer from WUSTL they'd have to let me in first though. You're saying they would? Who else?

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Splitter applying in September - chances? (2.8x-171)

Postby fatduck » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:24 pm

you can check out my LSN in my profile to get some idea, i'm 2.9/170

Youppi315
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:00 pm

Re: Splitter applying in September - chances? (2.8x-171)

Postby Youppi315 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:26 pm

fatduck wrote:you can check out my LSN in my profile to get some idea, i'm 2.9/170


yeah but what makes you a non-trad? feel free to PM.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Splitter applying in September - chances? (2.8x-171)

Postby fatduck » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:27 pm

Youppi315 wrote:
fatduck wrote:you can check out my LSN in my profile to get some idea, i'm 2.9/170


yeah but what makes you a non-trad? feel free to PM.


was in the army but i don't think it made much of a difference. all my acceptances/denials so far have been pretty much in line with my #'s.

Youppi315
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:00 pm

Re: Splitter applying in September - chances? (2.8x-171)

Postby Youppi315 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:31 pm

fatduck wrote:
Youppi315 wrote:
fatduck wrote:you can check out my LSN in my profile to get some idea, i'm 2.9/170


yeah but what makes you a non-trad? feel free to PM.


was in the army but i don't think it made much of a difference. all my acceptances/denials so far have been pretty much in line with my #'s.


just saw that. do you think it's worth it for me to take a year or two off, get a fulltime job (peacecorps -> consulting?) and apply then? open question.

Youppi315
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:00 pm

Re: Splitter applying in September - chances? (2.8x-171)

Postby Youppi315 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:47 am

Which schools should I consider reach, target, and safeties?

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Splitter applying in September - chances? (2.8x-171)

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:51 am

Apply to WUSTL, UIUC, Notre Dame, Minnesota, GW. All of these schools are splitter friendly. Or take a year off, work, and ED to NU.

User avatar
jcunni5
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: Splitter applying in September - chances? (2.8x-171)

Postby jcunni5 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:01 pm

Get some WE and ED to NU or ED gulc part time that will be the easiest way to the t14

User avatar
jackattack17
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:38 pm

Re: Splitter applying in September - chances? (2.8x-171)

Postby jackattack17 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:06 pm

i'd apply everywhere 19-30, probably won't get any bites from T17
WUSTL ($$)
GW
UIUC
BU (WL)
Emory (WL)
MN ($)
Notre Dame (WL)
Iowa ($)
Indiana
and so on...

maybe pick a few more regional schools that place well in your markets, and see about scholarship offers. also, work 1-2 years then ED to NU as irish said

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Splitter applying in September - chances? (2.8x-171)

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:17 pm

Probably not much of a chance at BU. They like higher GPAs.

User avatar
AboveTheLawSchool
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Splitter applying in September - chances? (2.8x-171)

Postby AboveTheLawSchool » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:41 pm

If you are still only a junior in UG.....try to get semester GPA's around 4.0 your next two semesters and try to raise your cumulative above 3

Youppi315
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:00 pm

Re: Splitter applying in September - chances? (2.8x-171)

Postby Youppi315 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:23 pm

AboveTheLawSchool wrote:If you are still only a junior in UG.....try to get semester GPA's around 4.0 your next two semesters and try to raise your cumulative above 3


I should apply as early as possible, right? That gives me only this semester to bring it up slightly.

bearsfan1
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Splitter applying in September - chances? (2.8x-171)

Postby bearsfan1 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:28 pm

Youppi315 wrote:
AboveTheLawSchool wrote:If you are still only a junior in UG.....try to get semester GPA's around 4.0 your next two semesters and try to raise your cumulative above 3


I should apply as early as possible, right? That gives me only this semester to bring it up slightly.


I'd take a year off after college before law school if you're worried about your gpa hurting your chances of being accepted. If you take a year off, your entire UG gpa will be factored in, as opposed to your first 3 years so just work your ass off to get a 4.0. I'd also consider taking a 4 credit summer class or something if you have a little extra $$$ cause that would also help to raise your GPA. I'm taking a year off inbetween UG and law school and doing Americorps for that same reason, so maybe that's something you'd be interested in too?




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest