171/3.1 late in the cycle

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
UCLAtransfer

Re: 171/3.1 late in the cycle

Postby UCLAtransfer » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:05 pm

harrijust86 wrote:I really hope it doesnt come to that, but yea i have a job that knows i plan on leaving to go back to law school. They want me back in the summers, and would love to keep me. I really think now is the time though. I will probably even go for sticker if I have to. whats another 100k in loans on top of my existing 78k? Waiting a year wasn't even on my mind before today, but we will see how things turn out!

Not feeling too confident though... I invite people to either build me up, or crush my dreams. BRING IT.

Two things:

1. Is the job you are at now at a firm? Otherwise I'm confused about the "wanting you back for summers," since you will clearly need to be doing law related work every summer. If it is a firm, this makes sense.

2. Is the "existing $78k" in loans from undergrad? Because if you already have that much in loans, you are looking at close to $250-300k total in student loans unless you get a scholarship. There is no way you are getting out of law school with only another $100k in loans unless you have a decent scholarship or don't have to pay rent/living expenses for some reason.

harrijust86

Postby harrijust86 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:05 pm

Desert Fox: Duly noted that waiting a year is the best option in a world where getting in as high as I possibly can for as cheap as possible is the number one priorty. I understand that in the grand scheme of things it is only one year, but I honestly believe that I have already waited to long and it is time to get my life going. Nothing I can do about it at this point other than wait for the waitlist letters to roll in and then make an informed decision, but I thank you for your input and advice.

UCLAtransfer:

1. No, it is not with a law firm. BUT, I was not indicating that I would go back to them in the summers. I was indicating that they had requested such action which is a clear indication that they would continue to employ me should I choose to wait a year.

2. This one is my fault. When I say sticker I am assuming some need based support. Even at that 100k is probably low-balling the estimate at best, and more likely grosely underestimating it.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:08 pm

harrijust86 wrote:Desert Fox: Duly noted that waiting a year is the best option in a world where getting in as high as I possibly can for as cheap as possible is the number one priorty. I understand that in the grand scheme of things it is only one year, but I honestly believe that I have already waited to long and it is time to get my life going. Nothing I can do about it at this point other than wait for the waitlist letters to roll in and then make an informed decision, but I thank you for your input and advice.

UCLAtransfer:

1. No, it is not with a law firm. BUT, I was not indicating that I would go back to them in the summers. I was indicating that they had requested such action which is a clear indication that they would continue to employ me should I choose to wait a year.

2. This one is my fault. When I say sticker I am assuming some need based support. Even at that 100k is probably low-balling the estimate at best, and more likely grosely underestimating it.

Need-based aid for law school is almost nonexistent.

harrijust86

Postby harrijust86 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:13 pm

DOH!

mom2law

Postby mom2law » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:02 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
harrijust86 wrote:DAMN YOU ALL.....

I am increasingly falling in love with the idea of GW.... IP law... DC.... LET MY PEOPLE (splitters) GO! (to GW)

You can get into GTown with a 171/3.1.

The IP market is better, especially at GWU, but not if you can attend a significantly better school at the same price. That is stupid.

Don't be an idiot, wait a year. Or at least late ED at UVA or Gtown.

Don't be so sure about G'town...they just waitlisted a 3.8, 170 I know with good softs.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:15 pm

mom2law wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
harrijust86 wrote:DAMN YOU ALL.....

I am increasingly falling in love with the idea of GW.... IP law... DC.... LET MY PEOPLE (splitters) GO! (to GW)

You can get into GTown with a 171/3.1.

The IP market is better, especially at GWU, but not if you can attend a significantly better school at the same price. That is stupid.

Don't be an idiot, wait a year. Or at least late ED at UVA or Gtown.

Don't be so sure about G'town...they just waitlisted a 3.8, 170 I know with good softs.

If they applied late thats not surprising, but 3.8/170 is really good for Gtown.

Return to “What are my chances?”