Chances of transfer from tier 3 to high tier 2 lower teir 1

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
CP2323

Chances of transfer from tier 3 to high tier 2 lower teir 1

Postby CP2323 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:03 pm

So I am pretty set that I will attend Akron (full ride due to Post 9/11 Bill covering the expense)

I have a 157 on the LSAT (no prep at all and 1 attempt)
I have a 2.33 UGPA due to messing around as a first year college student 1.5 GPA from my first year and then CLEP and DANTES tests for a lot of my Psychology degree requirements.
I have a Master's Degree in Social Studies Education with a 3.85 GPA.
I was in the United States Navy for 7 years and am a disabled veteran (50%) with an honorable discharge.
I have a ton of community service since I ran my command's community service program and we won Navy wide awards for our work 2 years in a row. (I personally was awarded a Navy Achievement Medal for my work).

I was wondering if I finish in the top of my class at Akron for the first year how likely can I transfer to a local tier 1 or tier 2 school. For example Ohio State or Case Western (with Scholarship money).

dakatz

Re: Chances of transfer from tier 3 to high tier 2 lower teir 1

Postby dakatz » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:08 pm

Sure, if you finish top of your class, there is probably some local school that will take you. But DO NOT assume that you will indeed finish top of your class. If you are going to Akron with the intention of transferring (under the implicit assumption that you will be top of your class), you need to reconsider it. Law school is too variable and there is too much uncertainty with regard to grades to make anything even close to a sure bet. Don't go to Akron unless you would be happy graduating from Akron.

CP2323

Postby CP2323 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:18 pm

Not assuming I am going to transfer and part of the reason I asked for local schools in the area is that I want to live in Ohio (at least for a few years). The feel of Akron seems to be a good fit. Small school in an Urban area but with small suburbs outside the city. I attended University of Tampa for my Master's degree because I liked the feel of the small school better then USF.

I was just wondering because I wanted to keep my options open.

I realize that even though my work experience is probably pretty top notch (School teacher at an inner city school 97% African American and 95% low socioeconomic status, Disabled military veteran, and sales experience before that), I really can't overcome my low GPA. So I was looking for a Tier 3 that would meet my location needs. My kids want to live someplace with snow again. I like smaller areas and have never lived in Ohio (upstate New York which is somewhat the same).

Should I retake the LSAT in June (since I have a waiver but would need to take a day off work) or not even bother?

maf70

Postby maf70 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:21 pm

First off, don't go to a school you won't be happy at for three years. You just don't know how you'll end up doing.

Secondly,you're assuming way too much to think you'll be able to pull top of the class.
Akron curves to a 2.6, which leaves the top 15% barely above a 3.3. I believe that at least 40% of the students there have some sort of scholarship. To keep their scholarships, they have to maintain a 3.3 GPA. Assuming you do go there, you'll be competing against a lot of people with a lot of reasons to try to do especially well.

Truth is, almost 100% of people come in thinking they'll break top 10% of their class. 90% are setting themselves up for failure.

Third, schools won't give money to transfers. You can throw a possibility at a transfer to Case with a scholarship out the window.

Good luck.

CP2323

Postby CP2323 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:28 pm

Thanks for the information about transfers and scholarships. That throws Case definitely out with any other private school.

My GI bill will cover 100% but only to public law schools.

maf70

Postby maf70 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:45 pm

why ohio, if you don't mind me asking? try getting into stetson or something and enjoy the sunshine in florida.

maf70

Postby maf70 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:46 pm

nm. stetson's private. nevertheless, there are a lot better places to be than akron, oh.

CP2323

Postby CP2323 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:11 pm

I am basically limited to Ohio public schools and Florida public schools. There is pretty much no chance I am getting into FSU or UF but I do have applications still for them outstanding.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:54 am

If you scored a 157 with no prep then why don't you prep! You can get a 170!

CP2323

Postby CP2323 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:14 am

I really wanted to attend Law School this Fall. I hate my current job (and it is temporary for this year) and would rather not have to try and find a new job for another year.

maf70

Postby maf70 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:51 am

take my advice. take the year and prep. get your shit together and get into a better school. fsu and uf will almost be locks if you can just raise that score a bit. youll probably be able to get into osu as well.

i chose to take the TTT route (after not studying at all for the LSAT as well) and it has happened to work out where I have a good shot at transfer. However, if I could go back and take the year to study and raise my score I would definitely do it.

you dont want to have to rely on the chance of getting top of your class to transfer. you have way more control over your studying for the lsat now. do it. apply next year. reap the rewards. or dont.

just my two cents.

again, good luck on whatever you decide to do.

j7108

Postby j7108 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:50 pm

maf70 wrote:take my advice. take the year and prep. get your shit together and get into a better school. fsu and uf will almost be locks if you can just raise that score a bit. youll probably be able to get into osu as well.

Agreed

+1

Return to “What are my chances?”