I'm from India , born and raised .

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
aks

I'm from India , born and raised .

Postby aks » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:03 am

Will I be considered URM ?

Kabuo

Re: I'm from India , born and raised .

Postby Kabuo » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:13 am

No. You might make it into a very tiny soft factor if you write a diversity statement about it. You might be able to get a good PS out of it, but no, you will not be considered URM.

amonynous_ivdinidual

Postby amonynous_ivdinidual » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:15 am

HA! how do i put this... no? heck no? double no?

aks

Postby aks » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:42 am

Lol ! okay ... Fine.
there's another thing . I will be graduating in 2012 . So the transcripts for my last year will be available only in July of 2012 . Would that be a problem ? When can I expect to hear from a law school if my application is incomplete till July ?

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:56 am

Your application won't be incomplete until July. As long as you give the schools everything you have up to that point when you apply, you'll find out with everyone else. Everyone gets their senior grades after senior year. You send your final transcript into the school that you're attending before classes start so they can verify that you graduated.

aks

Postby aks » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:43 am

Thank you so much . :D

SentinelsOfEvil

Postby SentinelsOfEvil » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:50 am

I've gone through this already. You definitely won't be considered a URM.

MattThiessen

Postby MattThiessen » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:56 am

On the playground is where I spent most of my days
Chillin out, maxin, relaxing all cool,
And all shooting some b-ball outside of school
When a couple of guys who were up to no good
Started making trouble in my neighborhood
I got in one lil fight and my mom got scared
And said "You're moving with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air"

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:58 am

:?:

SentinelsOfEvil

Postby SentinelsOfEvil » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:00 am

MattThiessen wrote:On the playground is where I spent most of my days

How is the fresh prince theme relevant here again?

MattThiessen

Postby MattThiessen » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:04 am

SentinelsOfEvil wrote:How is the fresh prince theme relevant here again?

The thread title is probably what set me off. Either way, I will spend the rest of my day rapping the theme song and saying "Yo, yo, Uncle Phil."

/thread sufficiently de-railed. my apologies...

SentinelsOfEvil

Postby SentinelsOfEvil » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:33 am

MattThiessen wrote:
SentinelsOfEvil wrote:How is the fresh prince theme relevant here again?

The thread title is probably what set me off. Either way, I will spend the rest of my day rapping the theme song and saying "Yo, yo, Uncle Phil."

/thread sufficiently de-railed. my apologies...

fair enough... you should have included "in west Philadelphia, born and raised" in your post, just so that ppl like me who are slow on the uptake would catch on...

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:45 pm

When I first saw this I thought it said indiana. India makes much more sense though.

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:49 pm

Was waiting for this

casterfield

Postby casterfield » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:50 pm

Awesome.

Curry

Postby Curry » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:20 am

ohai OP/Twin/Future Arranged Marriage

Post here please: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=138731&start=9025

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:13 am

Hey cool story bro, over 9000 people have posted this exact same shit. That makes you cool!

retake

Postby retake » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:28 pm

rad law wrote:

Hey cool story bro, over 9000 people have posted this exact same shit. That makes you cool!

Hey super cool story bro, over 9000 people have posted the exact same rebuttal to this exact same shit. That makes you cool!

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:32 pm

retake wrote:
rad law wrote:

Hey super cool story bro, over 9000 people have posted the exact same rebuttal to this exact same shit. That makes you cool!

This conversation can be best portrayed by:

icpb

Postby icpb » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:45 pm

If you are not a US citizen or a permanent resident, you should be extremely happy if law schools don't count that against you. However, as far as I know from anecdotal evidence (talking with international student friends who applied from an Ivy undergrad), law schools do count that against students from India and China.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:53 pm

icpb wrote:If you are not a US citizen or a permanent resident, you should be extremely happy if law schools don't count that against you. However, as far as I know from anecdotal evidence (talking with international student friends who applied from an Ivy undergrad), law schools do count that against students from India and China.

Pretty sure law schools don't count that against us. I'm also Indian (born and raised :p) and not a US citizen or permanent resident, but pretty sure I performed at least as well as my numbers would indicate (probably slightly better though, but Michigan was as high as I aimed with an ED, so can't know for sure).

OP, PM me if you have questions about the application process.

icpb

Postby icpb » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:51 pm

Of the two Chinese and one Indian international student, all of whom were a couple of years ahead of me, I know from college (think Columbia, Dartmouth, Penn), the Chinese girl (4.0, 174, valedictorian, got into Yale); the Chinese guy (3.86, 175) got shut out of HYS, and the Indian guy (3.89, 174) got shut out of HYS as well. They were complaining about how colleges, law schools, and med schools were unfair to international students for the whole spring semester, and about how they would just work for a couple of years and apply to business schools instead. Perhaps law schools like foreign undergrads born and raised and went to college abroad more.

applepiecrust wrote:
icpb wrote:If you are not a US citizen or a permanent resident, you should be extremely happy if law schools don't count that against you. However, as far as I know from anecdotal evidence (talking with international student friends who applied from an Ivy undergrad), law schools do count that against students from India and China.

Pretty sure law schools don't count that against us. I'm also Indian (born and raised :p) and not a US citizen or permanent resident, but pretty sure I performed at least as well as my numbers would indicate (probably slightly better though, but Michigan was as high as I aimed with an ED, so can't know for sure).

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:11 pm

icpb wrote:Of the two Chinese and one Indian international student, all of whom were a couple of years ahead of me, I know from college (think Columbia, Dartmouth, Penn), the Chinese girl (4.0, 174, valedictorian, got into Yale); the Chinese guy (3.86, 175) got shut out of HYS, and the Indian guy (3.89, 174) got shut out of HYS as well. They were complaining about how colleges, law schools, and med schools were unfair to international students for the whole spring semester, and about how they would just work for a couple of years and apply to business schools instead. Perhaps law schools like foreign undergrads born and raised and went to college abroad more.

applepiecrust wrote:

Nah, that doesn't apply to me. Georgetown undergrad here. Not sure why your acquaintances got shut out of H (Y&S are black boxes anyway), but I doubt it was BECAUSE they were Indian/Chinese nationals. My numbers weren't anywhere as stellar as theirs so I was not aiming for HYS at all.

Edit: (Totally agree that undergrad admissions are unfair for Indian/Chinese international students, particularly those applying for financial aid.)

spece212

Postby spece212 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:25 pm

I am still in the middle of the admissions process so I cannot assert with authority. I believe there is a dis-advantage for Intl students. But not because you are merely intl but because you cannot show strong ties to the school's geography. For e.g. schools like UChicago, UCBerkeley are not terribly excited to see Intl students. Northwestern, Vandy are receptive. As someone said YS are blackboxes and Harvard is all about numbers.
Unless you can demonstrate beyond doubt that why you want to study law in US and not in your country, you are at a disadvantage. So your PS and addenda need to address this question well. Of course, all this works only with an LSAT score which should be better than the 50-75% mark.
You won't get treated as URM for sure.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:34 pm

spece212 wrote:I am still in the middle of the admissions process so I cannot assert with authority. I believe there is a dis-advantage for Intl students. But not because you are merely intl but because you cannot show strong ties to the school's geography. For e.g. schools like UChicago, UCBerkeley are not terribly excited to see Intl students. Northwestern, Vandy are receptive. As someone said YS are blackboxes and Harvard is all about numbers.
Unless you can demonstrate beyond doubt that why you want to study law in US and not in your country, you are at a disadvantage. So your PS and addenda need to address this question well. Of course, all this works only with an LSAT score which should be better than the 50-75% mark.
You won't get treated as URM for sure.

Unsure if the LSAT score > 50-75% is anymore of a "necessity" than it is for other applicants.

Michigan, NYU, Columbia all seem receptive to intl students.

I didn't even bother to apply to Berkeley and wouldn't have even if I had better numbers because of the big fat ZERO they had for intl students.

I would say being able to show that you want to practice law in the US is credited (my DS was all about LGBT involvement in the US, tying it to my Indian background, so I think that made the case pretty clear -- even if it was not explicit).

Return to “What are my chances?”