Took the LSAT 5times, please help me.

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Nicholasnickynic

Re: Took the LSAT 5times, please help me.

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:22 pm

Desert Fox wrote:If I were an admissions dean and I read an addendum that said you were sick for the three times and couldn't study I'd think you were an idiot for making the same mistake three times.

Yeah. TBH, when I read your post, I was like liar and/or idiot. I would just submit without addendum. They will likely think that you are a high achiever and wanted a better score? I dunno, its pretty odd, but anything you say sounds like an excuse, and sounds negative.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:22 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:If I were an admissions dean and I read an addendum that said you were sick for the three times and couldn't study I'd think you were an idiot for making the same mistake three times.

Yeah. TBH, when I read your post, I was like liar and/or idiot. I would just submit without addendum. They will likely think that you are a high achiever and wanted a better score? I dunno, its pretty odd, but anything you say sounds like an excuse, and sounds negative.

He should probably submit some sort of addendum. Even without the the two extra scores and the cancel, 164 to 173 is a pretty big jump.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:26 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:

He should probably submit some sort of addendum. Even without the the two extra scores and the cancel, 164 to 173 is a pretty big jump.

I think mine would work if OP would give us the scores in the correct order.. if it goes I wanted law school.. studied got a 170.. decided not to but enjoyed the challenge of the test.. took it more for fun.. 16x and 16x... then decided to go again.. studied harder 173.. knew the higher schools averaged took again to try and bring up LSAT average.. didnt feel good about it.. cancel..

yes i know still highly unbelievable and many excuses.. but thats the best i can come up with that sounds believable

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:27 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:

This may be my personal bias, but I think no addendum is better than one with bullshit excuses.

My cycle went well, and I didn't write a GPA addendum about my 2.8.

glewz

Postby glewz » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:33 pm

Desert Fox wrote:no addendum is better than one with bullshit excuses.

+1

The ones on the table so far are really ridiculous sounding

glewz

Postby glewz » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:36 pm

Also, you should prolly delete this post just in case... as I'm pretty sure you're the only person applying to CCN with those scores in that order.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:37 pm

glewz wrote:

+1

A lot of schools specifically ask for addendums from applicants who have taken the LSAT multiple times (and/or have had significant jumps in their scores). Should the OP just ignore those instructions? (I'm not asking that flippantly; I only took the test once, so I just skipped over that part of the application).

glewz

Postby glewz » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:42 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
glewz wrote:

+1

A lot of schools specifically ask for addendums from applicants who have taken the LSAT multiple times (and/or have had significant jumps in their scores). Should the OP just ignore those instructions? (I'm not asking that flippantly; I only took the test once, so I just skipped over that part of the application).

Haven't seen a school "specifically ask for addendums." Pretty sure they're all optional.

But yes, that's the general rule - multiple LSATs or 6 pt score boost --> addendum. But in OP's case, he got the 17X first; if I were the admissions committee, I would consider the 16X a fluke. If you look at the other scores, they're +/- 3 points of their 17X average.

There really isn't a significant score improvement going on here. OP would just be explaining his multiple LSATs, and it seems pretty clear to me that he just tried many times to get a higher score.
Last edited by glewz on Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Montevillian

Postby Montevillian » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:32 pm

If I were the OP... I would wait until some of those scores have expired, because his chances would be drastically better with a couple of those scores off the table and a few years of work experience.

Pirates13

Postby Pirates13 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:17 pm

Maybe throw in that you wanted to continue pushing yourself as much as possible to try and achieve a perfect score. Turn it around as you were determined to improve yourself more than the reality of you took it more than you really should have.

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:36 pm

nyu is a numbers whore and will only look at your 173 for admissions purposes. I say you're guaranteed in there with your above median GPA and LSAT.

I wouldn't write an addendum.

You MUST tell us all who approved the 4th and 5th retakes. for posterity's sake

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:27 pm

thanks for the advice guys, maybe i will just not write an addendum then.

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:01 am

well-hello-there wrote:You MUST tell us all who approved the 4th and 5th retakes. for posterity's sake

dude seriously

if you don't want to "out" the school, I'll be happy with a general idea of how you pulled it off

glewz

Postby glewz » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:07 am

well-hello-there wrote:
well-hello-there wrote:You MUST tell us all who approved the 4th and 5th retakes. for posterity's sake

dude seriously

if you don't want to "out" the school, I'll be happy with a general idea of how you pulled it off

lol +1

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:17 am

am i right with the trend being 170 16m 16m 173 cancel? If the 160s are close, and now trending downward- then you dont need one. If they are trending downward, you could write one to try not to prove that your 170 was a fluke. If you went down 3 points from 170 each time ( 167, and 164- just using hypo numbers) your first score will look like an outlier, and your average will be a 167 or slightly lower. With that 173, it looks like you justified your first score.

if you do write one, make sure to explain your motives for taking it 4 times, not the outcome. Contact admissions to see what they want. if you dont have to write one, dont.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:16 pm

it really isn't that hard to take it over 3 times. i just asked a school outside of the top 14 and they were willing to do it. the only problem was the sheer discipline it took to study for it 5 times. it felt like i was sick for a whole year.

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:33 am

$1.99 wrote:it really isn't that hard to take it over 3 times. i just asked a school outside of the top 14 and they were willing to do it. the only problem was the sheer discipline it took to study for it 5 times. it felt like i was sick for a whole year.

oh, okay. thanks.

Return to “What are my chances?”