3.2 GPA, 178 LSAT, Northwestern, UCLA

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
feralinfant

3.2 GPA, 178 LSAT, Northwestern, UCLA

Postby feralinfant » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:19 pm

I'm an english major with a math minor. I have a 3.2 GPA with a very strong upward trend. And I really only have three grades below a B, 1 F (5 credits in russian, what a nightmare) 1 D, and 1 C. They're destroying my GPA especially because I actually only have about 2/3 the normal number of credits due to credits from high school. Anyway all A's the last two semesters, A's and B's the last four.

I took the LSAT in Dec. and got a 170, just took it again and am hoping/feeling I got a 175-178.

I don't have a lot of softs. A little volunteering. A lot of working blue collar type jobs.

I will have very strong LOR's (my teachers offered them unsolicited)

I'm pretty confident I'll be able to craft a good Personal Statement.

I know my GPA all but rules me out for a lot of T-14, but I'm wondering what my odds might realistically be, assuming I snag that 178, at Northwestern or UCLA without taking a year to do Americorps or cure cancer for example. I'm considering just travelling before law school, but I might get a little more serious if it will really mean the difference between getting in and not.

Or am I pretty much just screwed regardless?

ATR

Re: 3.2 GPA, 178 LSAT, Northwestern, UCLA

Postby ATR » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:01 am

This thread is pretty worthless until you receive your February LSAT. As it stands, you're out at Northwestern until you get work experience; it's the same for almost every applicant. UCLA is a good possibility, but they favor high GPAs as well. I would guess you're in if you ED early next cycle.

My advice if you want T14 regardless of scholarship money? ED to UVA on the first day of the 2011-2012 admissions cycle.

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:34 am

Thanks.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:44 am

NU only cares about post-college WE- not pre college or during college.

Get some WE and ED NU, alternatively ED UVA this cycle.

Edit: Actually, blue collar WE could be a good soft (but NU still virtually requires post-grad WE).

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:44 am

That's great to hear, I've been roofing houses and putting up billboards post-graduation too. I've just never really figure that counted for anything even at Northwestern. My tour guides there were like yeah we were worked for a few years...for our congressman. Thanks.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:01 am

feralinfant wrote:I'm an english major with a math minor. I have a 3.2 GPA with a very strong upward trend. And I really only have three grades below a B, 1 F (5 credits in russian, what a nightmare) 1 D, and 1 C. They're destroying my GPA especially because I actually only have about 2/3 the normal number of credits due to credits from high school. Anyway all A's the last two semesters, A's and B's the last four.

I took the LSAT in Dec. and got a 170, just took it again and am hoping/feeling I got a 175-178.

I don't have a lot of softs. A little volunteering. A lot of working blue collar type jobs.

I will have very strong LOR's (my teachers offered them unsolicited)

I'm pretty confident I'll be able to craft a good Personal Statement.

I know my GPA all but rules me out for a lot of T-14, but I'm wondering what my odds might realistically be, assuming I snag that 178, at Northwestern or UCLA without taking a year to do Americorps or cure cancer for example. I'm considering just travelling before law school, but I might get a little more serious if it will really mean the difference between getting in and not.

Or am I pretty much just screwed regardless?

+1 for Russian screwing up your GPA. I would have had a 3.7ish without Russian as opposed to my 3.5

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:04 am

chasgoose wrote:+1 for Russian screwing up your GPA. I would have had a 3.7ish without Russian as opposed to my 3.5

I know, and I didn't even need it for a general requirement. I took it on a whim because I really like Dostoyevsky and then skipped out on the whole last half of the second semester in it. Sooo stupid.

Return to “What are my chances?”