SLU 170 LSAT 3.4 GPA

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: SLU 170 LSAT 3.4 GPA

Postby romothesavior » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:45 am

bearsfan1 wrote:Regardless, thanks for the link. I've used LSN before, but I've only gotten to graph charts where they list the people accepted, waitlisted, and rejected. Is there a place on LSN that has scholarship information?

The LSN search function can narrow it down to applicants with similar numbers to you, and then you can see what kind of money they got (of they posted it). That's usually the best way of gauging your chances of admission and scholarships.

bearsfan1
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: SLU 170 LSAT 3.4 GPA

Postby bearsfan1 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:55 am

romothesavior wrote:
bearsfan1 wrote:Regardless, thanks for the link. I've used LSN before, but I've only gotten to graph charts where they list the people accepted, waitlisted, and rejected. Is there a place on LSN that has scholarship information?

The LSN search function can narrow it down to applicants with similar numbers to you, and then you can see what kind of money they got (of they posted it). That's usually the best way of gauging your chances of admission and scholarships.


Alright, thanks. I'll check that out.

User avatar
niederbomb
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: SLU 170 LSAT 3.4 GPA

Postby niederbomb » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:26 am

bearsfan1 wrote:
jdfrisby wrote:1. The reason that such a low number of WUSTL grads end up in St Louis is that they are a borderline national school so their grads have more opportunities to branch out.
2. IU Bloomington would almost definitely give you $120,000 so you would end up paying room and board if anything. UIUC would also be a strong option, but yeah, you're too smart to go to St Louis. Plus, if you're calling a school a TTT how do you rationalize going there? Everyone else seems to talk up their schools IMO


Yeah, I know UIUC would be a strong option but I currently go here for undergrad. I like Champaign, but I don't see myself living here another 3 years. I've heard IU Bloomington gives out scholarships like crazy, any reasoning for this? Do they normally come with hard requirements to maintain the scholarship or something?

I rationalize going to SLU because I have a job lined up through my family for when I graduate, meaning I want to go to a law school where I could receive a full ride scholarship because I don't see the point in paying for a higher ranked school if I know that I have a guaranteed job lined up for when I graduate. However, I was just throwing SLU out there because I love St. Louis. If I can go to a law school in a more desirable location, on a full-ride scholarship, I would definitely jump at the opportunity. So if you know of any schools in desirable locations (for me a desirable location would be a large mid-western city not named Chicago, or somewhere out west or in the southeast), I'm all ears. As stated in my subject, my LSAT is a 170 and I'll graduate with a gpa of 3.4. I'm not applying until the Fall of 2012 because I'm doing a year of Americorps. I also volunteered quite a bit during college if that matters at all.


What about the University of Minnesota? Besides, if you have a job lined up after graduation, then a little bit of debt is no problem. Going to a prestigious school will help your family's firm, and you'll be around smart classmates with whom you have more in common. Definitely go to Wash U. In your situation, I'd probably try to get into NU and U of M, too. Would at least give you negotiating space for Wash U. You're good either way IMO.

Also, would you apply to Emory?

bearsfan1
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: SLU 170 LSAT 3.4 GPA

Postby bearsfan1 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:13 am

What about the University of Minnesota? Besides, if you have a job lined up after graduation, then a little bit of debt is no problem. Going to a prestigious school will help your family's firm, and you'll be around smart classmates with whom you have more in common. Definitely go to Wash U. In your situation, I'd probably try to get into NU and U of M, too. Would at least give you negotiating space for Wash U. You're good either way IMO.

Also, would you apply to Emory?




There's no way I'd go to the University of Minnesota. 1. My loyalty already lies with another Big Ten school 2. Have you ever been to Minnesota? The winters here in Illinois are freezing, Minnesota is 10 times worse. Honestly, Minnesota in the winter is one of the worst places that I've ever been in my life. ND could be an option, but not a strong one unless I receive a huge scholarship. One of my roomates was from the area and lived about 5 minutes from ND's campus. I went up there a few times with him and just wasn't impressed. Emory could be an option as I have family in ATL and the surrounding area. However, if I went to Emory without a scholarship, the trade off for extra prestigue would be lost. The majority of people around Central Illinois have not heard of Emory - I hadn't even heard of Emory until researching law schools so any chance of obtaining cliental based off of going to Emory would be lost. Also, why does my "thread" move up and down as I write? I'm currently writing this without having the luxury of looking at it because my bar on the right side is going psycho and moving this up and down really fast. It happens everytime I write a post on this forum and I can't figure out why.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: SLU 170 LSAT 3.4 GPA

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:59 am

OP, are you a fellow central Illinoisan?

bearsfan1
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: SLU 170 LSAT 3.4 GPA

Postby bearsfan1 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:40 pm

Yes sir, I'm from an area somewhat close to Champaign and I go to undergrad at UIUC. What about you?

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: SLU 170 LSAT 3.4 GPA

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:14 am

bearsfan1 wrote:Yeah, I know UIUC would be a strong option but I currently go here for undergrad. I like Champaign, but I don't see myself living here another 3 years. I've heard IU Bloomington gives out scholarships like crazy, any reasoning for this? Do they normally come with hard requirements to maintain the scholarship or something?


The scholly stip at IUB is good academic standing, which can be had with a sub 3.0 gpa, I think somewhere between 2.3 and 2.7.

I think part of your question regarding scholarship info on LSN was answered but if you hadn't found the list of scholarship info for each applicant at specific schools, go to the school's LSN page (or the chart page you seem to have found) and click the "applicants" tab.

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: SLU 170 LSAT 3.4 GPA

Postby kings84_wr » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:24 am

Definitely apply to IUB, even if its just for scholarship bartering. You would likely get the massive scholarship there and the stipulations as said above are 2.3 which is about impossible to fall below (Median is 3.35 and i think anything below 3.0 is like bottom 5%)

bearsfan1
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: SLU 170 LSAT 3.4 GPA

Postby bearsfan1 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:43 am

kings84_wr wrote:Definitely apply to IUB, even if its just for scholarship bartering. You would likely get the massive scholarship there and the stipulations as said above are 2.3 which is about impossible to fall below (Median is 3.35 and i think anything below 3.0 is like bottom 5%)


Thanks for the advice. I was looking at IUB's page on LSN and noticed that nearly every accepted applicant had a massive scholarship. How can IUB afford giving out so many scholarships? Are there any other schools that offer massive scholarships on such a frequent basis?

User avatar
hipstermafia
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: SLU 170 LSAT 3.4 GPA

Postby hipstermafia » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:50 am

With those exact numbers i got 28,000 a year at wustl. I imagine if you really show serious interest in the school they might give you even more.

User avatar
niederbomb
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: SLU 170 LSAT 3.4 GPA

Postby niederbomb » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:46 pm

bearsfan1 wrote:
What about the University of Minnesota? Besides, if you have a job lined up after graduation, then a little bit of debt is no problem. Going to a prestigious school will help your family's firm, and you'll be around smart classmates with whom you have more in common. Definitely go to Wash U. In your situation, I'd probably try to get into NU and U of M, too. Would at least give you negotiating space for Wash U. You're good either way IMO.

Also, would you apply to Emory?




There's no way I'd go to the University of Minnesota. 1. My loyalty already lies with another Big Ten school 2. Have you ever been to Minnesota? The winters here in Illinois are freezing, Minnesota is 10 times worse. Honestly, Minnesota in the winter is one of the worst places that I've ever been in my life. ND could be an option, but not a strong one unless I receive a huge scholarship. One of my roomates was from the area and lived about 5 minutes from ND's campus. I went up there a few times with him and just wasn't impressed. Emory could be an option as I have family in ATL and the surrounding area. However, if I went to Emory without a scholarship, the trade off for extra prestigue would be lost. The majority of people around Central Illinois have not heard of Emory - I hadn't even heard of Emory until researching law schools so any chance of obtaining cliental based off of going to Emory would be lost. Also, why does my "thread" move up and down as I write? I'm currently writing this without having the luxury of looking at it because my bar on the right side is going psycho and moving this up and down really fast. It happens everytime I write a post on this forum and I can't figure out why.


I live in a much colder place than Minnesota, so the winters wouldn't bother me. You're probably right about Emory. I'd still apply to Michigan and NU in your situation. Down the road, you'd give your family's firm a good boost going T14. But I'm a prestige whore. I'm likely turning down full tuition at UT Austin to attend a top 10.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: SLU 170 LSAT 3.4 GPA

Postby beachbum » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:44 pm

niederbomb wrote:
bearsfan1 wrote:
What about the University of Minnesota? Besides, if you have a job lined up after graduation, then a little bit of debt is no problem. Going to a prestigious school will help your family's firm, and you'll be around smart classmates with whom you have more in common. Definitely go to Wash U. In your situation, I'd probably try to get into NU and U of M, too. Would at least give you negotiating space for Wash U. You're good either way IMO.

Also, would you apply to Emory?




There's no way I'd go to the University of Minnesota. 1. My loyalty already lies with another Big Ten school 2. Have you ever been to Minnesota? The winters here in Illinois are freezing, Minnesota is 10 times worse. Honestly, Minnesota in the winter is one of the worst places that I've ever been in my life. ND could be an option, but not a strong one unless I receive a huge scholarship. One of my roomates was from the area and lived about 5 minutes from ND's campus. I went up there a few times with him and just wasn't impressed. Emory could be an option as I have family in ATL and the surrounding area. However, if I went to Emory without a scholarship, the trade off for extra prestigue would be lost. The majority of people around Central Illinois have not heard of Emory - I hadn't even heard of Emory until researching law schools so any chance of obtaining cliental based off of going to Emory would be lost. Also, why does my "thread" move up and down as I write? I'm currently writing this without having the luxury of looking at it because my bar on the right side is going psycho and moving this up and down really fast. It happens everytime I write a post on this forum and I can't figure out why.


I live in a much colder place than Minnesota, so the winters wouldn't bother me. You're probably right about Emory. I'd still apply to Michigan and NU in your situation. Down the road, you'd give your family's firm a good boost going T14. But I'm a prestige whore. I'm likely turning down full tuition at UT Austin to attend a top 10.


Why would his family's firm receive a good boost if he attends a T14?

TyrodTaylor
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:06 pm

Re: SLU 170 LSAT 3.4 GPA

Postby TyrodTaylor » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:02 pm

Not to be a jerk, but banking on that job sounds like a fairly short sighted decision. Maybe try and challenge yourself, get the best education you can, and take your family firm to a higher level. Where you go does matter, even if you have it made. What if you change careers one day, or want to go into politics for example. Take advantage of your opportunities, if you are set up as you say, debt wont matter anyways.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: SLU 170 LSAT 3.4 GPA

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:10 pm

TyrodTaylor wrote:Not to be a jerk, but banking on that job sounds like a fairly short sighted decision. Maybe try and challenge yourself, get the best education you can, and take your family firm to a higher level. Where you go does matter, even if you have it made. What if you change careers one day, or want to go into politics for example. Take advantage of your opportunities, if you are set up as you say, debt wont matter anyways.

Level of education? You don't learn anything in any school that will determine how well you do later anyways. Going to better schools is solely to get a better job and slightly, to be surrounded by better peers. But that isn't the education.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: SLU 170 LSAT 3.4 GPA

Postby romothesavior » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:34 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
TyrodTaylor wrote:Not to be a jerk, but banking on that job sounds like a fairly short sighted decision. Maybe try and challenge yourself, get the best education you can, and take your family firm to a higher level. Where you go does matter, even if you have it made. What if you change careers one day, or want to go into politics for example. Take advantage of your opportunities, if you are set up as you say, debt wont matter anyways.

Level of education? You don't learn anything in any school that will determine how well you do later anyways. Going to better schools is solely to get a better job and slightly, to be surrounded by better peers. But that isn't the education.

+1. You don't go to a better school to "challenge" yourself. You go there because of better job prospects. Hanging a degree from Cornell in his office at the family firm rather than a degree from SLU is not going to elevate the firm to new levels. The only reasons I'd advocate taking a higher ranked school over a free one in this case are if OP thinks there is a chance he won't end up at the family firm, or if he wants to clerk.

You should stick to football at Va Tech, Tyrod. :lol:

minnesotasam
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:47 am

Re: SLU 170 LSAT 3.4 GPA

Postby minnesotasam » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:43 pm

niederbomb wrote:I live in a much colder place than Minnesota, so the winters wouldn't bother me.

Siberia?

Fwiw I've lived in St. Louis for >2 years and OP is right about SLU's perception within the city, it has a much stronger regional reputation than people outside of the area would realize. The best internships in the area all hold spots for SLU and WUSTL alike.

TyrodTaylor
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:06 pm

Re: SLU 170 LSAT 3.4 GPA

Postby TyrodTaylor » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:22 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
TyrodTaylor wrote:Not to be a jerk, but banking on that job sounds like a fairly short sighted decision. Maybe try and challenge yourself, get the best education you can, and take your family firm to a higher level. Where you go does matter, even if you have it made. What if you change careers one day, or want to go into politics for example. Take advantage of your opportunities, if you are set up as you say, debt wont matter anyways.

Level of education? You don't learn anything in any school that will determine how well you do later anyways. Going to better schools is solely to get a better job and slightly, to be surrounded by better peers. But that isn't the education.

+1. You don't go to a better school to "challenge" yourself. You go there because of better job prospects. Hanging a degree from Cornell in his office at the family firm rather than a degree from SLU is not going to elevate the firm to new levels. The only reasons I'd advocate taking a higher ranked school over a free one in this case are if OP thinks there is a chance he won't end up at the family firm, or if he wants to clerk.

You should stick to football at Va Tech, Tyrod. :lol:



At least he is faster than romo...though that counts for little...

bearsfan1
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: SLU 170 LSAT 3.4 GPA

Postby bearsfan1 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:05 pm

TyrodTaylor wrote:Not to be a jerk, but banking on that job sounds like a fairly short sighted decision. Maybe try and challenge yourself, get the best education you can, and take your family firm to a higher level. Where you go does matter, even if you have it made. What if you change careers one day, or want to go into politics for example. Take advantage of your opportunities, if you are set up as you say, debt wont matter anyways.


How would $150,000 worth of debt not matter, regardless of how much money I'll be making upon graduation? Also, how would going to a school such as SLU not "give me the best education that I can get? Just because SLU fell out of the Top 100 means that it's level of education also dropped? "Not to be a jerk", but I noticed in your profile that you applied to and was accepted at Richmond, so why would you try to slam me with regards to going to a school outside the Top 100?

TyrodTaylor
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:06 pm

Re: SLU 170 LSAT 3.4 GPA

Postby TyrodTaylor » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:54 am

A) never slammed you, just gave an attempted rationale for attending the better school, which I think you should do,
B) Richmond is in the top 100
C) good luck with your decision, its not a bad position to be in.

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: SLU 170 LSAT 3.4 GPA

Postby Law Sauce » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:17 am

Check the data, but it is possible that wustl throws around more money than slu. Just because the rankings dont suggest it, you may get more from wustl. I wouldn't be surprised. I got more from wash u that from local second tiers and lower first tiers. Wustl is way more into playing the rankings game and thus may be more willing to pay for you/just have more moeny in general

lower rankings dont equal higher scholarships. just something to keep in mind.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests