SLU 170 LSAT 3.4 GPA

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
bearsfan1

SLU 170 LSAT 3.4 GPA

Postby bearsfan1 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:02 pm

Anybody familiar with Saint Louis University? I know they recently got demoted to a TTT. Anyway, with a 170 LSAT and a 3.4 GPA, do you think I would be able to obtain a full tuition scholarship to SLU?

Verity

Re: SLU 170 LSAT 3.4 GPA

Postby Verity » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:07 pm

Why the F would you want to go to SLU? Even with a full-tuition scholly, you'd be screwed after graduation. WUSTL would probably give you close to a full ride with those numbers.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:07 pm

is this a joke?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:43 pm

Bears.

bearsfan1

Postby bearsfan1 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:06 pm

Lol no it's not a joke. I have a job lined up with my family law firm after graduation, so basically I just want to go to a law school where I'd have a full scholarship. I love St. Louis and would like to go to SLU or WashU. I didn't think my numbers were very competitive for a scholarship at WashU which is why I asked about SLU.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:08 pm

You got a 170 on the LSAT, why are you convinced you can't get money at a better school?

Edit: Bears. Jay Cutler I still love you.
Last edited by ahduth on Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:09 pm

Your numbers are very competitive for WUSTL. Definitely apply.

And as a 170/3.4x applicant who actually attends SLU for undergrad, I'd say you have a very good shot at the 1843 (full ride) scholarship.

bearsfan1

Postby bearsfan1 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:14 pm

ahduth wrote:You got a 170 on the LSAT, why are you convinced you can't get money at a better school?

Because I have a guaranteed job after I graduate. I could care less about the name of the school, I just want to get a full ride scholarship to a school in a location that I like. I love St. Louis, which is why I would like SLU.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:21 pm

Got it. You should still apply to other schools in case you need to bargain for extra $$$. Good luck.

ATR

Postby ATR » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:04 am

bearsfan1 wrote:
ahduth wrote:You got a 170 on the LSAT, why are you convinced you can't get money at a better school?
Because I have a guaranteed job after I graduate. I could care less about the name of the school, I just want to get a full ride scholarship to a school in a location that I like. I love St. Louis, which is why I would like SLU.

Congrats on your fortunate circumstances. Apply to SLU and make sure to write a "Why SLU?" essay to avoid being yield-protected. Also apply to WUSTL. Enjoy.

bearsfan1

Postby bearsfan1 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:44 pm

ATR wrote:
bearsfan1 wrote:

Congrats on your fortunate circumstances. Apply to SLU and make sure to write a "Why SLU?" essay to avoid being yield-protected. Also apply to WUSTL. Enjoy.

Thanks. Yeah, I'll also apply to WUSTL just to see what happens. I'm not applying till next fall - I'm doing a year of Americorps before law school. But, I definitely consider myself lucky, especially after reading through alot of these message boards and reading stories about people taking out an assload of loans, only to end up with a low paying job.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:52 pm

bearsfan1 wrote:
Thanks. Yeah, I'll also apply to WUSTL just to see what happens. I'm not applying till next fall - I'm doing a year of Americorps before law school. But, I definitely consider myself lucky, especially after reading through alot of these message boards and reading stories about people taking out an assload of loans, only to end up with a low paying job.

considering your family owns a law firm, i don't think you'd ever fit the profile of said people

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:54 pm

bearsfan1 wrote:
ATR wrote:
bearsfan1 wrote:

With a 170 you will probably get a lot of money from WUSTL, as well.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:01 pm

You should take into consideration that aside fro the fact that you have a job, some potential future clients might actually look at schools when deciding whether to hire a firm or not. And since WUSTL is pretty much the creme-de-la-creme in Missouri, you should really think hard before attending SLU even on a full scholarship.

whitman

Postby whitman » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:28 pm

LLB2JD wrote:You should take into consideration that aside fro the fact that you have a job, some potential future clients might actually look at schools when deciding whether to hire a firm or not. And since WUSTL is pretty much the creme-de-la-creme in Missouri, you should really think hard before attending SLU even on a full scholarship.

+1. I really think it is crazy to count on this job waiting for you, liking this job, not being drawn to any other career, and having clients that don't care where you attended school.

bearsfan1

Postby bearsfan1 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:05 pm

whitman wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:You should take into consideration that aside fro the fact that you have a job, some potential future clients might actually look at schools when deciding whether to hire a firm or not. And since WUSTL is pretty much the creme-de-la-creme in Missouri, you should really think hard before attending SLU even on a full scholarship.

+1. I really think it is crazy to count on this job waiting for you, liking this job, not being drawn to any other career, and having clients that don't care where you attended school.

I'll be working about an hour from St. Louis. I know SLU is a regional school, but it's a pretty respected school around there. A big portion of southwest Illinois considers itself a part of the "greater STL" area and consider SLU is a top-notch school. From what I've read, a majority of WashU graduates don't even practice in St. Louis or even Missouri. I've also read that something like 48% of St. Louis attorneys are graduates of SLU. Of course all of these stats come from message boards, so it's hard telling if that information is actually true :D .

Besides, I'm going to like the job. I work for the firm during the summer and breaks and I enjoy everyone I work with, some of whom are immediate family. I currently attend UIUC for undergrad, but as much as I enjoy Champaign, I've already spent 4 years here and would rather spend 3 years of law school in a larger city, such as STL.

whitman

Postby whitman » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:33 pm

bearsfan1 wrote:
whitman wrote:

I'll be working about an hour from St. Louis. I know SLU is a regional school, but it's a pretty respected school around there. A big portion of southwest Illinois considers itself a part of the "greater STL" area and consider SLU is a top-notch school. From what I've read, a majority of WashU graduates don't even practice in St. Louis or even Missouri. I've also read that something like 48% of St. Louis attorneys are graduates of SLU. Of course all of these stats come from message boards, so it's hard telling if that information is actually true :D .

Besides, I'm going to like the job. I work for the firm during the summer and breaks and I enjoy everyone I work with, some of whom are immediate family. I currently attend UIUC for undergrad, but as much as I enjoy Champaign, I've already spent 4 years here and would rather spend 3 years of law school in a larger city, such as STL.

Fair enough. And I didn't mean to disparage SLU, just emphasize considering attending a school that will keep your options a little more open. I know you didn't come on here for advice about that, though, so I'll leave it alone. Best of luck, man, and glad to hear you've got a good thing lined up.

jeremysen

Postby jeremysen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:43 pm

just apply to both schools and write a Why SLU letter.

after you find out results from both schools, if WashU doesn't give you $$ (which I highly doubt) and you still get WL at SLU, write a letter of continued interest to SLU (1) specifying they're your #1 (2) and tactfully saying that $$ would be great.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:45 pm

1. The reason that such a low number of WUSTL grads end up in St Louis is that they are a borderline national school so their grads have more opportunities to branch out.
2. IU Bloomington would almost definitely give you $120,000 so you would end up paying room and board if anything. UIUC would also be a strong option, but yeah, you're too smart to go to St Louis. Plus, if you're calling a school a TTT how do you rationalize going there? Everyone else seems to talk up their schools IMO

bearsfan1

Postby bearsfan1 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:35 pm

jdfrisby wrote:1. The reason that such a low number of WUSTL grads end up in St Louis is that they are a borderline national school so their grads have more opportunities to branch out.
2. IU Bloomington would almost definitely give you $120,000 so you would end up paying room and board if anything. UIUC would also be a strong option, but yeah, you're too smart to go to St Louis. Plus, if you're calling a school a TTT how do you rationalize going there? Everyone else seems to talk up their schools IMO

Yeah, I know UIUC would be a strong option but I currently go here for undergrad. I like Champaign, but I don't see myself living here another 3 years. I've heard IU Bloomington gives out scholarships like crazy, any reasoning for this? Do they normally come with hard requirements to maintain the scholarship or something?

I rationalize going to SLU because I have a job lined up through my family for when I graduate, meaning I want to go to a law school where I could receive a full ride scholarship because I don't see the point in paying for a higher ranked school if I know that I have a guaranteed job lined up for when I graduate. However, I was just throwing SLU out there because I love St. Louis. If I can go to a law school in a more desirable location, on a full-ride scholarship, I would definitely jump at the opportunity. So if you know of any schools in desirable locations (for me a desirable location would be a large mid-western city not named Chicago, or somewhere out west or in the southeast), I'm all ears. As stated in my subject, my LSAT is a 170 and I'll graduate with a gpa of 3.4. I'm not applying until the Fall of 2012 because I'm doing a year of Americorps. I also volunteered quite a bit during college if that matters at all.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:59 pm

Try U of San Diego. You'll probably get a full scholarship + stipend. And if you're looking for an awesome place to spend 3 years, look no further.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:06 am

If you have a guaranteed job and your only concern is going somewhere for free, then you should go somewhere that you can get a full ride + stipend. Or if your family lives in a city with a law school, go there and live at home. I know someone at SLU doing exactly this. But personally, I'd go to somewhere awesome for three years, like California or something.

If you really want to be in STL, WUSTL is a far better option and you could get a huge scholarship.

bearsfan1

Postby bearsfan1 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:24 am

romothesavior wrote:If you have a guaranteed job and your only concern is going somewhere for free, then you should go somewhere that you can get a full ride + stipend. Or if your family lives in a city with a law school, go there and live at home. I know someone at SLU doing exactly this. But personally, I'd go to somewhere awesome for three years, like California or something.

If you really want to be in STL, WUSTL is a far better option and you could get a huge scholarship.

Yeah, I'll probably apply to WashU as well. Going somewhere awesome for three years is what I am going to do. I've always enjoyed going to STL and home isn't too far away (regardless I wouldn't live at home). My parents have season tickets to the redbirds so I go downtown quite a bit and have always enjoyed myself. Anyway, I created this thread just to ask about my chances to SLU. SLU is not the only school that I am considering applying to, although I could see myself ending up in STL for 3 years. I wish there was a comprehensive list of schools and the scholarships they gave out according to LSAT/GPA because I could definitely narrow down my search!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:26 am

bearsfan1 wrote:I wish there was a comprehensive list of schools and the scholarships they gave out according to LSAT/GPA because I could definitely narrow down my search!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/

Also, you are applying really, really, really late in the cycle and it could hurt you a lot for scholarship consideration.

edit: In fact, SLU's website reads, "Each application completed prior to February 12 automatically receives full consideration for scholarship by the Admissions Committee."

bearsfan1

Postby bearsfan1 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:32 am

romothesavior wrote:
bearsfan1 wrote:I wish there was a comprehensive list of schools and the scholarships they gave out according to LSAT/GPA because I could definitely narrow down my search!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/

Also, you are applying really, really, really late in the cycle and it could hurt you a lot of scholarship consideration.

I'm not applying until Fall '12. I'm doing Americorps for a year after I graduate this spring. I know I posted my GPA and that's my gpa according to a different website that I can't remember the name of, where you plug in your credits according to grade or whatever. It pisses me off that they do it that way, because my school breaks down their grades by A, B, C, etc. and not A+, B+, etc. Regardless, thanks for the link. I've used LSN before, but I've only gotten to graph charts where they list the people accepted, waitlisted, and rejected. Is there a place on LSN that has scholarship information?

Return to “What are my chances?”