Strong Softs, 164/3.92 December LSAT

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Jumborific

Strong Softs, 164/3.92 December LSAT

Postby Jumborific » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:41 pm

So I graduated May 2010 with a 3.89 which LSAC recalculated to a 3.92. I was forced to take the December LSAT, because from June to November I was the field director of a State Senate campaign. It's in a state where the state legislature is fairly prestigious and competitive, and our candidate won in the primary and general elections. Just got done with my applications. I realize it's kind of dicey because I was so late in the game with my apps, so I applied to a ton of schools. Here is the info:

GPA 3.92
LSAT 164
Phi Beta Kappa
summa cum laude
Highest Honors on Senior Thesis
Poli Sci/Spanish double major
English/Spanish bilingual

school list:
HLS
YLS
SLS
Columbia
NYU
UPenn
UChicago
Northwestern
UC Berkeley
UMichigan
Duke
UVA
UCLA
Georgetown
GW
BU
BC
Colorado
Northeastern
UWashington

How are my chances? I have to imagine that I get into somewhere decent right?

rebexness

Re: Strong Softs, 164/3.92 December LSAT

Postby rebexness » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:13 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jumborific

Postby Jumborific » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:20 pm

Yeah that's what I figured. those are my safeties, all in cities that I'd be cool with living in. I sent out my apps pretty much as soon as I could. I needed to just chill for a little bit after the December LSAT, but then LSAC closed for the holidays. I sent HLS out on 1/3, and then just trucked down the list, starting with Feb 1 deadlines, Feb 15, March 1, March 31, etc.

akili

Postby akili » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:20 pm

I would add a few more safeties, tbh. (unless you are URM)

You are a sure thing at only the last 3 (and UW/Colorado are notoriously weird). Your GPA is stellar, but that LSAT is going to hold you back at almost all of your top choices. How debt-averse are you? What do you want to do with your law degree?

If you really want the top-top schools, you need to retake.

If you haven't already, check out http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com and http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com.

Jumborific

Postby Jumborific » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:25 pm

Not too worried about debt. Folks said they'd help me out with that a bit. I am not sure retaking the LSAT would do any good. I worked my tuckus off from october to december, with a tutor and everything. My highest practice test was a 168. I actually had gotten evaluated for accommodated testing, which I had on the SAT, but I didn't qualify this time around. I wrote a couple of addenda for the apps that solicited one, and a lot of my supplementary PS's (diversity statements etc.) were about overcoming learning disabilities, so I am hoping that the whole "holistic" approach to which these schools all pay so much lip service, is somewhat taken into account. Fingahs crossed.

akili

Postby akili » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:28 pm

Alright! A 164 is nothing to sneeze at, it's a great score and your GPA/softs will give you a push. I looked at LSN and you look really good for BC, but the lateness of your apps might hurt. If there are any schools you'd be interested in between BU---Colorado, I would add them.
Last edited by akili on Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:29 pm

Try switching your UVA app to ED. Maybe they still need some high GPA folks.

Verity

Postby Verity » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:32 pm

Predictions:

HLS - no
YLS - no
SLS - no
Columbia - no
NYU - no, or W/L then reject
UPenn - W/L
UChicago - no
Northwestern - W/L
UC Berkeley - either W/L or accept
UMichigan - either W/L or accept
Duke - W/L
UVA - W/L
UCLA - either W/L or accept
Georgetown - either W/L or accept
GW - probably accept
BU - probably accept
BC - probably accept
Colorado - accept
Northeastern - accept
UWashington - accept

In short: Retake. Study all year if you have to and re-apply next cycle. Could get you into HYS or CCN.

Jumborific

Postby Jumborific » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:35 pm

Yeah I saw that as well. I may decide to add UC Davis and Fordham. Thanks for the feedback doode! My strategy was to kind of just apply to a ton of schools and hope to get lucky. That's how I applied to udergrad and it worked out okay so I just have to hope that some of those yellow "CONSIDERS" slant my way. If not, Boulder and Boston are both great places to live and work.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:26 pm

I would add Cornell. The might bite that GPA and you should give yourself as many shots at the T14 as possible.

ATR

Postby ATR » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:10 pm

Retake the LSAT and apply early next cycle.

I had nearly similar stats following the October LSAT, retook in December, scored 5 points higher, and now have some wonderful scholarship options in the T20. A 164's not getting you into the T14 and probably not in the T20.

Also, those softs, while certainly not something to scoff at, don't constitute "strong" softs for the law school admissions process. Many, many applicants are summa cum laude, have an honors thesis, are double majors, etc.

Jumborific

Postby Jumborific » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:41 am

With just a single night of drinking with the boys between myself and the original post, I can say with confidence that I would much rather stick it out in Boulder, CO where I grew up than spend three years in Ithaca, NY. My roomate is from Syracuse, and even he says Ithaca is not a fun place to be.

Verity

Postby Verity » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:15 pm

Yeah, seriously, a 168-170 will get you a huge scholarship at a T25, and will definitely get you in to T14, maybe even CCN. Hell, if you can pull a 170, you may have an outside shot at Stanford. It will definitely be worth the app fee, and it will literally change your future.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:20 pm

Verity wrote:Predictions:

HLS - no
YLS - no
SLS - no
Columbia - no
NYU - no, or W/L then reject
UPenn - W/L
UChicago - no
Northwestern - W/L
UC Berkeley - either W/L or accept
UMichigan - either W/L or accept
Duke - W/L
UVA - W/L
UCLA - either W/L or accept
Georgetown - either W/L or accept
GW - probably accept
BU - probably accept
BC - probably accept
Colorado - accept
Northeastern - accept
UWashington - accept

In short: Retake. Study all year if you have to and re-apply next cycle. Could get you into HYS or CCN.

Generous much? Sorry but you aren't even an auto-admit at UW. Colorado and Northeastern are the only ones I would count on for sure. BC will consider you, but I'm afraid the rest are just a straight set of dings. Unless you're URM: If URM, then admit everywhere :P .

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:20 pm

Ok realistic list. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. Good news is you can always retake.

HLS
YLS
SLS
Columbia
NYU
UPenn
UChicago
Northwestern

UC Berkeley- Slight chance just because they are holistic
UMichigan
Duke

UVA- Decent shot if you throw a UVA ED. Too late in the cycle to hope for much though.
UCLA
Georgetown
GW

BU Waitlist/in
BC Waitlist/in
Colorado In
Northeastern In
UWashington In

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:32 pm

Jumborific wrote:So I graduated May 2010 with a 3.89 which LSAC recalculated to a 3.92. I was forced to take the December LSAT, because from June to November I was the field director of a State Senate campaign. It's in a state where the state legislature is fairly prestigious and competitive, and our candidate won in the primary and general elections. Just got done with my applications. I realize it's kind of dicey because I was so late in the game with my apps, so I applied to a ton of schools. Here is the info:

GPA 3.92
LSAT 164
Phi Beta Kappa
summa cum laude
Highest Honors on Senior Thesis
Poli Sci/Spanish double major
English/Spanish bilingual

school list:
HLS
YLS
SLS
Columbia
NYU
UPenn
UChicago
Northwestern
UC Berkeley
UMichigan
Duke
UVA
UCLA
Georgetown
GW
BU
BC
Colorado
Northeastern
UWashington

How are my chances? I have to imagine that I get into somewhere decent right?

I wasn't even confident enough to apply to Yale, Harvard, Columbia with the same GPA as you and an LSAT 6 points higher. You've got balls. Will shoot myself if you get into one of those.

Also, John Kerry got into BC with a Dishonorable Discharge and a 2.0 UGPA. But all kidding aside, you may have a shot there if your application is good.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:15 pm

Jumborific wrote:Not too worried about debt. Folks said they'd help me out with that a bit. I am not sure retaking the LSAT would do any good. I worked my tuckus off from october to december, with a tutor and everything. My highest practice test was a 168. I actually had gotten evaluated for accommodated testing, which I had on the SAT, but I didn't qualify this time around. I wrote a couple of addenda for the apps that solicited one, and a lot of my supplementary PS's (diversity statements etc.) were about overcoming learning disabilities, so I am hoping that the whole "holistic" approach to which these schools all pay so much lip service, is somewhat taken into account. Fingahs crossed.

For your goals, I would strongly recommending retaking. With a 164, your only "sure ins" are Colorado, Northeastern, and U Washington (with a chance at GW, BU, and BC). Get a 168, and MVPDN (N depending on work experience) are in play, along with UCLA and Georgetown.

Jumborific

Postby Jumborific » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:39 pm

Have added Pepperdine (offered me a scholarship), and Fordham for safety. I am an optimist, and am hoping to get into at least one of my reach's. If not, I will probably just go to CU Boulder, or may take GRE and try to get into HKS and then apply for HLS HKS dual degree JD/MPP. That's actually the easiest way to get into HLS.

Jumborific

Postby Jumborific » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:26 pm

Just received an email of acceptance to GW.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:34 pm

Jumborific wrote:Just received an email of acceptance to GW.

Congratulations, but I would strongly advise against paying sticker.

Jumborific

Postby Jumborific » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:44 pm

HeavenWood wrote:

Any reason for that advise? Besides just the whole less debt thing? Are they a racket? The email said that if I am selected for a merit scholarship, they will send me a separate packet for that. Any idea if you can apply/ask for one of these in the event that they don't select me? Also, let's say a school like BU, BC, or (extremelyoptimistic) GULC or UVA or something, offers me money, can I tell GW that and try to get them to offer me money too? Like play them off against each other? How am I to gauge how much a school wants me? This would seem to be territory where one should tread carefully.

ATR

Postby ATR » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:21 pm

Jumborific wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Any reason for that advise?

Because their $220,000+ cost of attendance is simply not worth the job prospects that come along with a GW law degree.

Jumborific

Postby Jumborific » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:33 am

Hmm... well upon doing some research and talking to grads, and based on the fact that my parents are helping me out on this one, it seems that GW Law grads actually have fairly GOOD job prospects.... especially when you consider the fact that it's still a top 20 school compared to the 200 or so of all accredited law schools....

Also more news... Wait listed at Penn.... how to get off?

subtle

Postby subtle » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:04 pm

Jumborific wrote:Hmm... well upon doing some research and talking to grads, and based on the fact that my parents are helping me out on this one, it seems that GW Law grads actually have fairly GOOD job prospects.... especially when you consider the fact that it's still a top 20 school compared to the 200 or so of all accredited law schools....

Also more news... Wait listed at Penn.... how to get off?

When you figure this out, let me know.

ATR

Postby ATR » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:25 pm

Jumborific wrote:Hmm... well upon doing some research and talking to grads, and based on the fact that my parents are helping me out on this one, it seems that GW Law grads actually have fairly GOOD job prospects.... especially when you consider the fact that it's still a top 20 school compared to the 200 or so of all accredited law schools....

Not saying the job prospects from GW aren't fairly good. Just saying that going $200,000+ into debt is a very risky proposition for a borderline T20 law school in this economy. I like GW -- actually received a huge merit scholarship there yesterday -- but I wouldn't accrue $200,000+ of debt to go anywhere except HYS (and maybe CCN).

Return to “What are my chances?”