170 lsat, 3.43 gpa

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
thelaststraw05

Re: 170 lsat, 3.43 gpa

Postby thelaststraw05 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:20 pm

bearsfan1 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
bearsfan1 wrote:
alm2127 wrote:if you like the idea of georgetown, but want some money, you could try applying ED to GW. Those accepted ED get full tuition.

I'm not familiar with ED. I know it means early decision, but I'm not exactly sure what that means, would you mind explaining it to me? I'm assuming that if I apply to a school for ED, I can only apply to one school for ED? Also, when is early decision? As I've already mentioned, I already have my LSAT and am just trying to decide where to apply to for the Fall of 12 admissions, so I have plenty of time. Thanks.

ED = Early Decision

ED is a binding decision that means if you are accepted to that school, you either have to attend that school or not attend law school at all the following year. In most cases ED gives a tiny boost because schools know you won't turn them down for a peer school because you are committed to going there. In GW's case, ED is harder than regular decision because all of those they accept ED gets a full tuition scholarship + stipend.

WOW. I didn't realize ED was anything like that. So if I applied to ED, chances are I would be rejected, but in the offchance that I was accepted, I would receive a full tuition scholarship and a stipend? With a 170 LSAT, 3.4 GPA, 1 year of Americorps, and some work experience (I'll also have good letters of recommendation), what are my chances of ED at GW?

Not good.

bearsfan1

Postby bearsfan1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:24 pm

I'm not familiar with ED. I know it means early decision, but I'm not exactly sure what that means, would you mind explaining it to me? I'm assuming that if I apply to a school for ED, I can only apply to one school for ED? Also, when is early decision? As I've already mentioned, I already have my LSAT and am just trying to decide where to apply to for the Fall of 12 admissions, so I have plenty of time. Thanks.[/quote]
ED = Early Decision

ED is a binding decision that means if you are accepted to that school, you either have to attend that school or not attend law school at all the following year. In most cases ED gives a tiny boost because schools know you won't turn them down for a peer school because you are committed to going there. In GW's case, ED is harder than regular decision because all of those they accept ED gets a full tuition scholarship + stipend.[/quote]

WOW. I didn't realize ED was anything like that. So if I applied to ED, chances are I would be rejected, but in the offchance that I was accepted, I would receive a full tuition scholarship and a stipend? With a 170 LSAT, 3.4 GPA, 1 year of Americorps, and some work experience (I'll also have good letters of recommendation), what are my chances of ED at GW?[/quote]

Not good.[/quote]

Haha thanks for your honesty. I checked out GW's medians and it didn't look good for me. Are there any other schools off the top of your head that give a full tuition scholarship with a stipend that I would have a competitive chance of getting accepted at if I applied during ED?

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:28 pm

To my knowledge GW is the only school that has an ED like that. At most schools ED hurts your chance at scholarship. Also, in your case, your GPA is probably too low for GW ED but it could be worth a shot.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:29 pm

GW is the only one that does the full tuition off of ED. generally with ED you HAVE to attend the school so most schools do now offer any aid to their ED applicants because they know they will attend regardless.

bearsfan1

Postby bearsfan1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:39 pm

FlanAl wrote:GW is the only one that does the full tuition off of ED. generally with ED you HAVE to attend the school so most schools do now offer any aid to their ED applicants because they know they will attend regardless.

Yeah, after reading the above description of ED, I kind of wondered why GW would do that if the ED applicant had to attend the school if they were accepted through ED. I guess they probably jacked up the tuition a bit so that those paying sticker would be flipping the bill for the people accepted through ED's lol?

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:51 pm

bearsfan1 wrote:
FlanAl wrote:GW is the only one that does the full tuition off of ED. generally with ED you HAVE to attend the school so most schools do now offer any aid to their ED applicants because they know they will attend regardless.

Yeah, after reading the above description of ED, I kind of wondered why GW would do that if the ED applicant had to attend the school if they were accepted through ED. I guess they probably jacked up the tuition a bit so that those paying sticker would be flipping the bill for the people accepted through ED's lol?

No, their tuition is on par with every other private school, stupidly expensive. Most schools have full tuition scholarships, they just generally have people apply for them after being accepted. GW just does it differently than others by asking people to apply for the full tuition right off the back and making them take it. Other schools, like Michigan, might have to offer the full tuition to multiple people before they find someone to take it because the others are turning it down for schools like harvard or yale.

Return to “What are my chances?”