170 lsat, 3.43 gpa Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
bearsfan1

Bronze

170 lsat, 3.43 gpa

Post by bearsfan1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:00 pm

I'm glad I found this forum. I'll try to keep this short and sweet. I achieved my goal of getting a 170 on the LSAT! I've calculated my gpa using the gpa calculator for law schools, and if I get all A's this semester (which shouldn't be difficult at all), I'll graduate with a GPA of 3.43. After graduating this spring, I'm joining Americorps for a year which means I won't be attending law school until Fall '12. Unlike the majority of the people that I've noticed around this forum, I don't really care whether or not I go to an Ivy League school because I don't want typical big law - I have a job with a family owned law firm waiting for me upon passing the Bar. So basically, I'd just like to go to a school where I could get a sweet scholarship that still is somewhat prestigious. I'm an Illinois resident, but since I'll be working near home upon graduation, I'd kind of like to experience a new place for awhile. So with my stats, what kind of T1 or T2 schools should I look at that would give me a great scholarship? Thanks in advance.

Verity

Silver

Re: 170 lsat, 3.43 gpa

Post by Verity » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:02 pm

UIUC is a prestigious school, and they'll give you a big scholarship. But if you really want to travel, just blanket the T10-25 (from Michigan to about IU-B) and see what offers you get. That's the best strategy, and worth the fees.

bearsfan1

Bronze

Post by bearsfan1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:04 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. But I actually go to UIUC right now lol, and would like to go somewhere else for awhile.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:07 pm

bearsfan1 wrote:Thanks for the quick reply. But I actually go to UIUC right now lol, and would like to go somewhere else for awhile.
Where do you want to go (i.e., what region)?

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:07 pm

so you want like lay prestige or something since it doesn't matter where you go cause you'll already have a job? Tulane would probably be good. Most people think it is way better than it is and I'm sure living in new orleans for three years would be cool. maybe UNC or wake? I don't know i could probably throw out a few other ideas. USD would probably be fun. It doesn't really matter where in your class you graduate either probably so yeah just look for the funnest school in the funnest area.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CliveStaples

New

Post by CliveStaples » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:08 pm

How far away are you looking to go? What about Notre Dame?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:12 pm

CliveStaples wrote:How far away are you looking to go? What about Notre Dame?
+1

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:12 pm

I would say Georgetown, GW, Florida, USC, BU, Notre Dame, UNC....it depends where you want to go, but with these numbers, you'd have a shot at most of the aforementioned.

bearsfan1

Bronze

Post by bearsfan1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:16 pm

New Orleans would be great. As far as locations as to where I would want to go, I'd go just about anywhere. I've been around New England and know that I wouldn't enjoy living in NYC though (no offense). I like the southeast, I have family scattered throughout Tenn and Bama. I loved going out west, especially Arizona and Vegas. I really would go anywhere that would give me near a full ride. Since I have a guaranteed job, I just don't see the point in taking out loans to go to a T14 or T20. As far as Notre Dame goes, I've been to the school a few times and liked it, but I don't really enjoy the area. My old roomate lived in Elkhart - about five minutes from the school, and I just didn't like it up there for some reason.

As far as Georgetown goes, if they would throw money at me I'd take that in a heartbeat. My cousin went to Georgetown about 10 years ago and loved it. He did Biglaw for years out there and I went and stayed with him and loved the city. But, like I mentioned, I'd only attend if they gave me a large scholarship and I was under the impression that T14's don't have to give scholarships because they're going to get enough applicants anyway.
Last edited by bearsfan1 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:17 pm

I did two years of work after undergrad before applying this year with a 171/3.45. Given similar numbers, my cycle might help you:

In:
Michigan (w/ $15k per year)
UVA
Northwestern
Georgetown
Vanderbilt
GWU
UIUC (w/ $30k per year)
W&M (w/ $15k per year)
GMU

Held:
Columbia

Pending:
Penn
UCLA

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:31 pm

If you're convinced about just taking the job you have on the table, go with lay prestige at a school that will give you some money. Make minimizing debt your #1 goal. Notre Dame, Emory, WUSTL, Boston College, USC, William & Mary...whatever.

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:04 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:I did two years of work after undergrad before applying this year with a 171/3.45. Given similar numbers, my cycle might help you:

In:
UVA
Northwestern
Georgetown
Vanderbilt
GWU
UIUC (w/ $30k per year)
W&M (w/ $15k per year)
GMU

Held:
Columbia

Pending:
Penn
UCLA
I'll add my cycle, since I'm similar with a 3.4x/ 172/AmeriCorps + 1 year additional WE:

In: Penn, Cornell, GTown, Texas, Vandy, UWashington, Colorado U, Boston College, Tulane (w/ $25k/year)
Waitlist: UVA, UCLA

I don't think you'll get more than $25k/year at Tulane and they claim to not negotiate aid.

Indiana would probably throw you a shit ton of money. I think WashU is also a good bet. You'd probably get a fair amount for having a 170. Bama would probably give you money and it's already cheap as shit. Emory might give you money for that 170. I'd also look at Washington and Lee.

However, I would strongly consider balancing your choice of prestige and money. I know you have a gig lined up, but, as they say, shit happens. I'm not saying you should go to Georgetown at sticker, but maybe a place like the schools I mentioned with money, even if it's not full, over a full ride to a low T1/T2. Seriously. You might need it, and if you do, you'll be glad to have a JD from Vandy, WashU, or even Washington and Lee as opposed to Loyola Chicago.

Just my two cents. But I don't fucking know.

bearsfan1

Bronze

Post by bearsfan1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:41 pm

Thanks for your 2 cents, I'll keep that in mind. How did you like Americorps? Did you do Vista or NCCC? Did you have any time for "extracurriculars"? I know it's going to be a big transition from college to a volunteer program, but I'm hoping I'll be able to have a little fun while I'm doing it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:19 pm

haha not to be a wet blanket but definitely keep in mind that there is a big difference between a 171/172 and a 170. with that 172 you are above a whole lot of schools 75th with a 170 you are smack dab at the median at most of the t14.

W&L could be a good balance it was in the top 25 for like the whole 90s and half the 2000s so most people still think of it as being very prestigious. only issue would be is that you might get kinda bored in lexington. I'm still voting for Tulane or USD since they both do well in their respective markets and might even throw you a living stipend. Imagine getting paid to enjoy NO for 3 years and coming out with a law degree!!!

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:30 am

whitman wrote:
I'll add my cycle, since I'm similar with a 3.4x/ 172/AmeriCorps + 1 year additional WE:

In: Penn, Cornell, GTown, Texas, Vandy, UWashington, Colorado U, Boston College, Tulane (w/ $25k/year)
Waitlist: UVA, UCLA

I don't think you'll get more than $25k/year at Tulane and they claim to not negotiate aid.

Indiana would probably throw you a shit ton of money. I think WashU is also a good bet. You'd probably get a fair amount for having a 170. Bama would probably give you money and it's already cheap as shit. Emory might give you money for that 170. I'd also look at Washington and Lee.

However, I would strongly consider balancing your choice of prestige and money. I know you have a gig lined up, but, as they say, shit happens. I'm not saying you should go to Georgetown at sticker, but maybe a place like the schools I mentioned with money, even if it's not full, over a full ride to a low T1/T2. Seriously. You might need it, and if you do, you'll be glad to have a JD from Vandy, WashU, or even Washington and Lee as opposed to Loyola Chicago.

Just my two cents. But I don't fucking know.
FlanAl wrote:haha not to be a wet blanket but definitely keep in mind that there is a big difference between a 171/172 and a 170. with that 172 you are above a whole lot of schools 75th with a 170 you are smack dab at the median at most of the t14.

W&L could be a good balance it was in the top 25 for like the whole 90s and half the 2000s so most people still think of it as being very prestigious. only issue would be is that you might get kinda bored in lexington. I'm still voting for Tulane or USD since they both do well in their respective markets and might even throw you a living stipend. Imagine getting paid to enjoy NO for 3 years and coming out with a law degree!!!

My turn to be a wet blanket and direct you back to my bolded. I seriously doubt Tulane will provide more than 25k/year, much less a living stipend. I could be wrong, but I believe they favor higher GPAs when it comes to merit-based aid. Agreed on Washington and Lee being a good choice, though.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:15 am

hmmm i was thinking of throwing them a late in the game app just to see what kind of money (if any) they throw my way, now i'm reconsidering giving them $80 or whatever it is. I'll stand by usd though san diego is a great place and they've thrown living stipends at people with similar numbers as op

bearsfan1

Bronze

Post by bearsfan1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:10 am

A living stipend to live in San Diego? If i received that kind of a package, I'd pack my bags for San Diego as soon as possible. I've been thinking about it, and was wondering with my numbers, if receiving a good scholarship from the following schools would be possible : University of Utah, Saint Louis University, Arizona State, UNLV, or University of Alabama.

Edited: Want to add Syracuse to that list.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Excel

New

Post by Excel » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:30 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:I did two years of work after undergrad before applying this year with a 171/3.45. Given similar numbers, my cycle might help you:

In:
UVA
Northwestern
Georgetown
Vanderbilt
GWU
UIUC (w/ $30k per year)
W&M (w/ $15k per year)
GMU

Held:
Columbia

Pending:
Penn
UCLA
out of curiosity...work experience? What are you softs? I have a 3.4 and hope to score a 170; nw would be my firt chouce but Ive thought it unlikely.

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:42 pm

Excel wrote:

In:
UVA
Northwestern
Georgetown
Vanderbilt
GWU
UIUC (w/ $30k per year)
W&M (w/ $15k per year)
GMU

Held:
Columbia

Pending:
Penn
UCLA
out of curiosity...work experience? What are you softs? I have a 3.4 and hope to score a 170; nw would be my firt chouce but Ive thought it unlikely.
Work experience bolded in my post.

My softs are my political activism. I've been working professionally in politics since graduating in May 2008.

Excel

New

Post by Excel » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:47 pm

haha, rc fail.

bearsfan1

Bronze

Post by bearsfan1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:59 pm

I worked part time throughout high school and college. I'm doing a year or Americorps before law school. While in college, I never joined any groups or anything, but my ex-girlfriend and I volunteered at a homeless shelter quite a bit.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

alm2127

New

Post by alm2127 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:07 pm

if you like the idea of georgetown, but want some money, you could try applying ED to GW. Those accepted ED get full tuition.

bearsfan1

Bronze

Post by bearsfan1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:16 pm

alm2127 wrote:if you like the idea of georgetown, but want some money, you could try applying ED to GW. Those accepted ED get full tuition.
I'm not familiar with ED. I know it means early decision, but I'm not exactly sure what that means, would you mind explaining it to me? I'm assuming that if I apply to a school for ED, I can only apply to one school for ED? Also, when is early decision? As I've already mentioned, I already have my LSAT and am just trying to decide where to apply to for the Fall of 12 admissions, so I have plenty of time. Thanks.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:22 pm

bearsfan1 wrote:
alm2127 wrote:if you like the idea of georgetown, but want some money, you could try applying ED to GW. Those accepted ED get full tuition.
I'm not familiar with ED. I know it means early decision, but I'm not exactly sure what that means, would you mind explaining it to me? I'm assuming that if I apply to a school for ED, I can only apply to one school for ED? Also, when is early decision? As I've already mentioned, I already have my LSAT and am just trying to decide where to apply to for the Fall of 12 admissions, so I have plenty of time. Thanks.
ED = Early Decision

ED is a binding decision that means if you are accepted to that school, you either have to attend that school or not attend law school at all the following year. In most cases ED gives a tiny boost because schools know you won't turn them down for a peer school because you are committed to going there. In GW's case, ED is harder than regular decision because all of those they accept ED gets a full tuition scholarship + stipend.

bearsfan1

Bronze

Post by bearsfan1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:18 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
bearsfan1 wrote:
ED = Early Decision

ED is a binding decision that means if you are accepted to that school, you either have to attend that school or not attend law school at all the following year. In most cases ED gives a tiny boost because schools know you won't turn them down for a peer school because you are committed to going there. In GW's case, ED is harder than regular decision because all of those they accept ED gets a full tuition scholarship + stipend.
WOW. I didn't realize ED was anything like that. So if I applied to ED, chances are I would be rejected, but in the offchance that I was accepted, I would receive a full tuition scholarship and a stipend? With a 170 LSAT, 3.4 GPA, 1 year of Americorps, and some work experience (I'll also have good letters of recommendation), what are my chances of ED at GW?

Also, are there any other schools off the top of your head that give a full tuition scholarship with a stipend that I would have a competitive chance of getting accepted at if I applied during ED?
Last edited by bearsfan1 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”