Applying Early/Early Decision Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
VictrixRapax

New

Applying Early/Early Decision

Post by VictrixRapax » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:01 pm

What is the difference, if there is any, between the two?

How big of an advantage would it be for Harvard or Columbia?

Thanks.

subtle

Silver

Re: Applying Early/Early Decision

Post by subtle » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:10 pm

Early Decision - School promises to get you a decision by a certain date if you apply before a certain date and sign an agreement. It can increase your chances of getting in slightly, by showing that you're interested. It's a binding agreement to attend if you're admitted.

Early Action - School promises to get you a decision by a certain date if you apply before a certain date and sign an agreement. It can increase your chances of getting in slightly, by showing that you're interested. (I think--I could be mistaken, so someone please correct me?--EA doesn't help as much as ED.)

Applying early - Applying early just helps you out. Think of it this way: if a school has 1,000 applicants in the first two months competing for 100 seats. Let's say 50 people are admitted. Now, let's say that a school has another 1,000 applications in the second two months for the remaining 50 seats. It just became that much harder for you to get in. This is, of course, an oversimplification: law school classes are bigger (in some cases, not by much), there are well over 2,000 applications per school in a cycle, and schools don't admit the exact number of seats to be filled because not all students who are admitted will attend, but you understand the picture.

Return to “What are my chances?”