Chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
bluecanary622

Chances?

Postby bluecanary622 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:42 pm

Last edited by bluecanary622 on Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulinaporizkova

Re: 3.87 undergrad, 3.91 grad, 166 LSAT -- Chances?

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:54 pm

as far as t14, no chance at columbia, very very slim chance at Duke or UVA (would be better if your UGPA was higher, the only GPA that matters, Grad GPA does not), better chance at georgetown. if you were dead set on a highly ranked school, i'd ED to georgetown. i think you're in at all other places you listed

however, a graduate degree could be seen as a significant soft for some schools, though i can't speak much to this.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:57 pm

Unless your grad degree is really presitigious (and maybe really difficult), it's not going to count for anything. The GPA definitely won't. You're UG GPA will get you into some good schools, but the LSAT will likely keep you out of the T14.

I assume you're not a URM? (Only b/c you didn't mention it.)

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:02 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:Unless your grad degree is really presitigious (and maybe really difficult), it's not going to count for anything. The GPA definitely won't. You're UG GPA will get you into some good schools, but the LSAT will likely keep you out of the T14.

there are plenty of non-URM 166's in the t14, but they all have a 4.0 or close to it

bluecanary622

Postby bluecanary622 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:20 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
Kiersten1985 wrote:Unless your grad degree is really presitigious (and maybe really difficult), it's not going to count for anything. The GPA definitely won't. You're UG GPA will get you into some good schools, but the LSAT will likely keep you out of the T14.

there are plenty of non-URM 166's in the t14, but they all have a 4.0 or close to it

I am non URM. My program was rank 8 in the country in grad school and I was published in 2 significant journals, so it may have some impact as a soft?

Would my work experience have no impact as a soft element? I have several significant victories with the organization.

Do you think I have an ok chance at George Washington?

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:24 pm

bluecanary622 wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:

I am non URM. My program was rank 8 in the country in grad school and I was published in 2 significant journals, so it may have some impact as a soft?

Would my work experience have no impact as a soft element? I have several significant victories with the organization.

I think you're in at GW. Like everyone else says in this forum (cuz it's true) softs don't mean shit if the numbers aren't there aka GPA+LSAT is like 97% of your app if you are not a URM

bluecanary622

Postby bluecanary622 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:26 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
bluecanary622 wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:

I think you're in at GW. Like everyone else says in this forum (cuz it's true) softs don't mean shit if the numbers aren't there aka GPA+LSAT is like 97% of your app if you are not a URM

so. frustrating.

well i'll hope for GW!!!

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:27 pm

bluecanary622 wrote:
so. frustrating.

well i'll hope for GW!!!

yeah it is. talk to some of the older applicants on this site - 20 years of work experience won't make you look better than someone with an LSAT 2 points higher than yours

Flustercluck

Postby Flustercluck » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:37 pm

Columbia is out and Duke is a long shot

I'd recommend EDing to UVA if you do so as soon as next cycle begins, with your GPA it's possible since they seem to have been kinder to early decision apps in September/October than they have been later in the cycle, and you'll get a response before any other ED deadlines are even close.

Personally, with your numbers I'd ED to UVA, if not accepted then take a shot at GW Early Decision (Comes with a full ride, and your experience/softs might push you over) then if those two fall through ED to GTown.

Everyone else would most likely accept you. GTown ED should likely get you in, but I might lean toward RD since I'd rather take a look at what money I could get at scools 20-30 before committing to GTown at sticker.

*edit* Also, despite your East Coast Preference, you would do well to consider taking a shot at UCLA and even Berkeley with that GPA.
Last edited by Flustercluck on Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:40 pm

Flustercluck wrote:Columbia is out and Duke is a long shot

I'd recommend EDing to UVA if you do so as soon as next cycle begins, with your GPA it's possible since they seem to have been kinder to early decision apps in September/October than they have been later in the cycle, and you'll get a response before any other ED deadlines are even close.

Personally, with your numbers I'd ED to UVA, if not accepted then take a shot at GW Early Decision (Comes with a full ride, and your experience/softs might push you over) then if those two fall through ED to GTown.

Everyone else would most likely accept you. GTown ED should likely get you in, but I might lean toward RD since I'd rather take a look at what money I could get at scools 20-30 before committing to GTown at sticker.

Also, despite your East Coast Preference, you would do well to consider taking a shot at UCLA with that GPA.

make sure it's early. i just talked to a virginia resident on TLS who got waitlisted ED with a 165/3.86 (165 is basically the same as 166 for them)

this was probably a month ago or more

Flustercluck

Postby Flustercluck » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:48 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:

Also, despite your East Coast Preference, you would do well to consider taking a shot at UCLA and even Berkeley with that GPA.

make sure it's early. i just talked to a virginia resident on TLS who got waitlisted ED with a 165/3.86 (165 is basically the same as 166 for them)

Yeah, it seems they tightened up a lot because so many people went ED. They already have 30-40 people committed to attend UVA on LSN alone, no one else in MVPDCNG has more than 10. Applying early seems to be huge with avoiding UVA waitlist/reject.

bluecanary622

Postby bluecanary622 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:50 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:

Also, despite your East Coast Preference, you would do well to consider taking a shot at UCLA with that GPA.

But this is what I don't get. UVA says that their 25-65% range is 166-171. So doesn't that mean 25% (A QUARTER) of people who get in have a 166 or LESS? Are you saying all of those people are URMs? (I am a VA resident, btw)

Why is UCLA different? TY!

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:51 pm

bluecanary622 wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:

But this is what I don't get. UVA says that their 25-65% range is 166-171. So doesn't that mean 25% (A QUARTER) of people who get in have a 166 or LESS? Are you saying all of those people are URMs? (I am a VA resident, btw)

VA resident??? ED in September and profit

many are URMs or have FREAKISHLY good softs or are VA residents

Flustercluck

Postby Flustercluck » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:13 pm

bluecanary622 wrote:But this is what I don't get. UVA says that their 25-65% range is 166-171. So doesn't that mean 25% (A QUARTER) of people who get in have a 166 or LESS? Are you saying all of those people are URMs? (I am a VA resident, btw)

UCLA and Berkeley value GPAs more than LSAT, and you have a strong chance at UCLA and a decent chance at Berkeley with your numbers/softs.

But, given that your a VA resident and UVA trys to fill their class with 40% residents, ED as soon as the application is available and enjoy UVA next year :)

xcountryjunkie

Postby xcountryjunkie » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:17 pm

Considering you have your bachelors in Political Communication, you have a long political background, and you're really excited by the prospect of getting into GW, I'm gonna call that you went to GW for undergrad.

That being said, I think you have excellent chances at GW and lower. Top 14 would require some luck to crack.

bluecanary622

Postby bluecanary622 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:24 pm

xcountryjunkie wrote:Considering you have your bachelors in Political Communication, you have a long political background, and you're really excited by the prospect of getting into GW, I'm gonna call that you went to GW for undergrad.

That being said, I think you have excellent chances at GW and lower. Top 14 would require some luck to crack.

haha no, i didn't. i just can really see myself in DC.

so even though i was summa cum laude in undergrad, top of my class grad school, published, 3 years very relevant experience, 3 awesome letters of recc, been published, finished school really quickly... the best i can do is #20? Just bc my LSAT? Which for the record... a 166 in about the 93rd-94th percentile, right?!

I just really don't get it! There's absolutely nothing to do but take it again?

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:28 pm

bluecanary622 wrote:
xcountryjunkie wrote:Considering you have your bachelors in Political Communication, you have a long political background, and you're really excited by the prospect of getting into GW, I'm gonna call that you went to GW for undergrad.

haha no, i didn't. i just can really see myself in DC.

so even though i was summa cum laude in undergrad, top of my class grad school, published, 3 years very relevant experience, 3 awesome letters of recc, been published, finished school really quickly... the best i can do is #20? Just bc my LSAT? Which for the record... a 166 in about the 93rd-94th percentile, right?!

correct.

Flustercluck

Postby Flustercluck » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:28 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:VA resident??? ED in September and profit

Flustercluck wrote:But, given that your a VA resident and UVA trys to fill their class with 40% residents, ED as soon as the application is available and enjoy UVA next year

bluecanary622 wrote:the best i can do is #20? Just bc my LSAT? Which for the record... a 166 in about the 93rd-94th percentile, right?!

RC Fail... Might explain the LSAT Score

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:29 pm

Flustercluck wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:VA resident??? ED in September and profit

Flustercluck wrote:But, given that your a VA resident and UVA trys to fill their class with 40% residents, ED as soon as the application is available and enjoy UVA next year

bluecanary622 wrote:the best i can do is #20? Just bc my LSAT? Which for the record... a 166 in about the 93rd-94th percentile, right?!

RC Fail... Might explain the LSAT Score

lol

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:33 pm

166 might get Penn/Michigan. But UVA is TCR for resident.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:41 pm

r6_philly wrote:166 might get Penn/Michigan. But UVA is TCR for resident.

Not with this guys gpa and softs. They need to be much better than that to make up for that lsat score. Uva is the best shot as a resident but I'd bet no due to the sub 3.9 gpa. I'd guess Op gets shut out of the t14.

bluecanary622

Postby bluecanary622 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:45 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:

Not with this guys gpa and softs. They need to be much better than that to make up for that lsat score. Uva is the best shot as a resident but I'd bet no due to the sub 3.9 gpa. I'd guess Op gets shut out of the t14.

This is really odd. a 3.87 is .03 from a 3.9... and I graduated summa cum laude. While working full time. From a top school. I reallllllly don't think GPA is going to be an issue.

And what is the issue with softs? Just to be clear so that I can improve my application if I decide to wait a year.
Right now what I have is:
* Extensive political campaign experience
* 3+ years nonprofit work experience, management level
* A MA degree in a relevant field, 3.91 GPA
* Published, thesis relevant to my area of interest for law school
* Extensive volunteer work

How could I improve for next years application process?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:46 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:

It's slightly above median, has a lucky shot sort of chance. Best shot is UVa obviously.

http://michigan.lawschoolnumbers.com/ap ... ,8&type=jd

09/10 was brutal, I'd think 08-09 and before is a better guide.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:49 pm

bluecanary622 wrote:This is really odd. a 3.87 is .03 from a 3.9... and I graduated summa cum laude. While working full time. From a top school. I reallllllly don't think GPA is going to be an issue.

And what is the issue with softs? Just to be clear so that I can improve my application if I decide to wait a year.
Right now what I have is:
* Extensive political campaign experience
* 3+ years nonprofit work experience, management level
* A MA degree in a relevant field, 3.91 GPA
* Published, thesis relevant to my area of interest for law school
* Extensive volunteer work

How could I improve for next years application process?

The best and only improvement you can make is to retake the LSAT. You already have a lot, it isn't going to do much more for you.

I have a lot more (and subjectively better) softs than you, but I am not really out performing my numbers.

Flustercluck

Postby Flustercluck » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:51 pm

Is 3.87 your LDAS GPA?

Return to “What are my chances?”