3.68, 172, applying early next cycle

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
miobrien

3.68, 172, applying early next cycle

Postby miobrien » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:08 am

UGPA: 3.68
LSAT: 172

I'm planning to submit my applications the first day they're accepted.

Maybe I could ED to Columbia or NYU? Do I have a better shot at N than C?

Other info:
-B.A. and M.A. degrees in Philosophy
-About a year of work experience as a Legal Assistant at Skadden Arps (by the time I submit my apps)
-Average undergrad softs (student newspaper, radio station, essay journal, literary magazine, research grants)
-Average personal statement (about philosophy and law)
-Two strong recommendations

Thanks!

You Gotta Have Faith

Re: 3.68, 172, applying early next cycle

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:16 am

I'd blanket the top 10 or so schools. Go lower if you want more money and still want a decent school.

C and N are close to equals. Perhaps C has a slight edge up? And by extension, I suppose you could say that N might be slightly easier to get into with ED? But in reality, this is all speculation.

I would say that you have a fighting chance at both of those schools in the Regular Decision pool. And that's worth remembering in the event you try slipping into YHS. Are you sold on being in NYC? If so, just ED to whichever of N or C you find more enjoyable as a school. I honestly don't think there's that much difference.

Good luck.

miobrien

Postby miobrien » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:25 pm

You Gotta Have Faith wrote:C and N are close to equals. Perhaps C has a slight edge up? And by extension, I suppose you could say that N might be slightly easier to get into with ED? But in reality, this is all speculation.

Thought so, thanks.

You Gotta Have Faith wrote:I would say that you have a fighting chance at both of those schools in the Regular Decision pool. And that's worth remembering in the event you try slipping into YHS.

I'm assuming I'm not extraordinary enough for Y and my GPA is too low for S. But it would be nice to slip into H!

Perhaps a retake if I became more serious about H? Or would it still be a long shot with a better score? (And I don't know if I can score higher at this point, of course.)

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:31 pm

miobrien wrote:Perhaps a retake if I became more serious about H? Or would it still be a long shot with a better score? (And I don't know if I can score higher at this point, of course.)

Depends. What were you PTing at? If 172 was your average, or was the upper-bound of your PT's, do not retake, especially because Harvard does not take the higher score; it averages them. But if you were PTing in the 176-178 range, I would consider it. Harvard will still average it, but your average will be a few points higher and may help.

But I do agree with the above poster. You have a great shot at CCN, and Columbia would be a fantastic option for NYC biglaw.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:56 pm

miobrien wrote:UGPA: 3.68
LSAT: 172

I'm planning to submit my applications the first day they're accepted.

Maybe I could ED to Columbia or NYU? Do I have a better shot at N than C?

Other info:
-B.A. and M.A. degrees in Philosophy
-About a year of work experience as a Legal Assistant at Skadden Arps (by the time I submit my apps)
-Average undergrad softs (student newspaper, radio station, essay journal, literary magazine, research grants)
-Average personal statement (about philosophy and law)
-Two strong recommendations

Thanks!

Those numbers are just a shade less than mine, I got into both C and N as RD. N probably is easier a touch easier, if the way this year's (TLS) cycle is going is any indication. Part of that may just be that N seems more predictable however. I didn't apply ED anywhere, but I'm extremely commitment-phobic. :D

My app fell through some sort of space/time rift at Harvard and has been under review for over two months. You have plenty of time to retake, so if you think you could bring it up to 175 or 6ish maybe... it seems like you'd have a shot at H. As is you probably have some sort of shot, just not a great one.

miobrien

Postby miobrien » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:43 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Depends. What were you PTing at? If 172 was your average, or was the upper-bound of your PT's, do not retake, especially because Harvard does not take the higher score; it averages them. But if you were PTing in the 176-178 range, I would consider it. Harvard will still average it, but your average will be a few points higher and may help.

I was definitely happy with my 172. It's hard to tell if I can do better. But I'm not a big believer in the "LSAT burnout" phenomenon, so maybe it's worth it to hit the books again. Like you said, I have a lot of time to figure it out.

Perhaps I could submit my app with the 172, and send the Sept./Oct. score once I got it? (I don't think I have time to take the June test due to other commitments.)

MrPapagiorgio wrote:But I do agree with the above poster. You have a great shot at CCN, and Columbia would be a fantastic option for NYC biglaw.

Great. NYC biglaw is my goal.

ahduth wrote:Those numbers are just a shade less than mine, I got into both C and N as RD. N probably is easier a touch easier, if the way this year's (TLS) cycle is going is any indication. Part of that may just be that N seems more predictable however. I didn't apply ED anywhere, but I'm extremely commitment-phobic. :D

re: commitment-phobia, I hear ya!

ahduth wrote:My app fell through some sort of space/time rift at Harvard and has been under review for over two months. You have plenty of time to retake, so if you think you could bring it up to 175 or 6ish maybe... it seems like you'd have a shot at H. As is you probably have some sort of shot, just not a great one.

Well good luck with Harvard - hopefully they jump out of that s/t rift. Heh.

Did you try Yale or Stanford? Which school are you more interested in, between Columbia and NYU?

Return to “What are my chances?”