Retake Score for U of C/NYU?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
sampras13

New
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:47 pm

Retake Score for U of C/NYU?

Postby sampras13 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:35 pm

I got a 166 in October and my gpa is 3.81(probably gona be closer to 3.77 if i reapply-3.90 degree gpa). What score do i need in june to get into ccn schools?

dissonance1848

Silver
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: Retake Score for U of C/NYU?

Postby dissonance1848 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:38 pm

At least a 172 RD. For ED, 170/171 should be fine.

User avatar
Sentry

Silver
Posts: 1234
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: Retake Score for U of C/NYU?

Postby Sentry » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:32 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:At least a 172 RD. For ED, 170/171 should be fine.

I think he'll need a 172+ either way. I have a strong feeling that U of C is going for a 172 LSAT median.

sonervous88

Bronze
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: Retake Score for U of C/NYU?

Postby sonervous88 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:51 pm

I had a 3.88 167/172 and so far i have gotten in everywhere. (still haven't heard from yale/harvard and didn't apply ed anywhere. I would definitely aim for a 171 at least.

User avatar
redsoxfan2495

Bronze
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:13 am

Re: Retake Score for U of C/NYU?

Postby redsoxfan2495 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:19 pm

172 is median at Columbia but your gpa is slightly above their median, so getting in with a 171 wouldn't be impossible (especially ED).

Also, since when is Columbia U of C? :P It's Columbia University, not the University of Columbia. CLS works too.

colforbin

Bronze
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:09 am

Re: Retake Score for U of C/NYU?

Postby colforbin » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:43 pm

How do T6 schools view 3 lsats? I took it twice while in undergrad but wasn't happy with my scores. I withdraw all of my applications and got a job. Now I'm studying for the June test and want to apply in the fall. But even if I kill the lsat on my third try, am I preemptively shut out from the top of the T14? (3.7x gpa)

jrose5

Silver
Posts: 660
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: Retake Score for U of C/NYU?

Postby jrose5 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:44 pm

redsoxfan2495 wrote:172 is median at Columbia but your gpa is slightly above their median, so getting in with a 171 wouldn't be impossible (especially ED).

Also, since when is Columbia U of C? :P It's Columbia University, not the University of Columbia. CLS works too.


+1

But you better have good softs, too...

jrose5

Silver
Posts: 660
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: Retake Score for U of C/NYU?

Postby jrose5 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:47 pm

colforbin wrote:How do T6 schools view 3 lsats? I took it twice while in undergrad but wasn't happy with my scores. I withdraw all of my applications and got a job. Now I'm studying for the June test and want to apply in the fall. But even if I kill the lsat on my third try, am I preemptively shut out from the top of the T14? (3.7x gpa)


YLS, SLS - "Holistic" view of LSATs. They look at them all. Have an addendum - the dean of SLS says these can sway her in the direction of putting more weight on the higher LSAT.
HLS - Averages for reference's sake, though history has shown us that plenty of people with one high enough LSAT but a low average still get in.
Columbia - They claim to average. What's interesting is, a guy I know met the dean of admissions, and the dean told him that if you've only taken 2 LSATs, they look at the higher. 3 or more, however, and they will begin to average.

colforbin

Bronze
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:09 am

Re: Retake Score for U of C/NYU?

Postby colforbin » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:57 pm

jrose5 wrote:
colforbin wrote:How do T6 schools view 3 lsats? I took it twice while in undergrad but wasn't happy with my scores. I withdraw all of my applications and got a job. Now I'm studying for the June test and want to apply in the fall. But even if I kill the lsat on my third try, am I preemptively shut out from the top of the T14? (3.7x gpa)


YLS, SLS - "Holistic" view of LSATs. They look at them all. Have an addendum - the dean of SLS says these can sway her in the direction of putting more weight on the higher LSAT.
HLS - Averages for reference's sake, though history has shown us that plenty of people with one high enough LSAT but a low average still get in.
Columbia - They claim to average. What's interesting is, a guy I know met the dean of admissions, and the dean told him that if you've only taken 2 LSATs, they look at the higher. 3 or more, however, and they will begin to average.


That's more or less what I expected. I don't really understand the point of an addendum for most cases (excluding illness or something). Basically this is my addendum: I'm retaking to get a better score to get into a better set of schools.

It's a bummer knowing I probably won't have the cycle I want (assuming I pull of a high score) because of scores from 2009

sampras13

New
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:47 pm

Re: Retake Score for U of C/NYU?

Postby sampras13 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:06 pm

So for regular decision, a 172 for nyu, chicago, and columbia?

jman77

Silver
Posts: 594
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:33 pm

Re: Retake Score for U of C/NYU?

Postby jman77 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:09 pm

colforbin wrote:How do T6 schools view 3 lsats? I took it twice while in undergrad but wasn't happy with my scores. I withdraw all of my applications and got a job. Now I'm studying for the June test and want to apply in the fall. But even if I kill the lsat on my third try, am I preemptively shut out from the top of the T14? (3.7x gpa)


I got into Columbia with 4 LSATs (one of which was a cancel) and the highest of which was a 171. I wrote an addendum (a pretty compelling one, it would seem). I do have extensive WE and a pretty interesting life story.

User avatar
Sentry

Silver
Posts: 1234
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: Retake Score for U of C/NYU?

Postby Sentry » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:19 pm

redsoxfan2495 wrote:172 is median at Columbia but your gpa is slightly above their median, so getting in with a 171 wouldn't be impossible (especially ED).

Also, since when is Columbia U of C? :P It's Columbia University, not the University of Columbia. CLS works too.

I thought everyone agreed that CLS=Cornell Law School...

User avatar
redsoxfan2495

Bronze
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:13 am

Re: Retake Score for U of C/NYU?

Postby redsoxfan2495 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:53 pm

Sentry wrote:
redsoxfan2495 wrote:172 is median at Columbia but your gpa is slightly above their median, so getting in with a 171 wouldn't be impossible (especially ED).

Also, since when is Columbia U of C? :P It's Columbia University, not the University of Columbia. CLS works too.

I thought everyone agreed that CLS=Cornell Law School...
I just read back through the thread and realized he was probably talking about Chicago, in which case U of C was fine. I guess I assumed Columbia because showing interest in Chicago and NYU but not Columbia is odd. Not being interested in Chicago is perfectly normal for east coast people. Sorry OP...

christinalsat

Bronze
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:27 am

Re: Retake Score for U of C/NYU?

Postby christinalsat » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:32 pm

sampras13 wrote:I got a 166 in October and my gpa is 3.81(probably gona be closer to 3.77 if i reapply-3.90 degree gpa). What score do i need in june to get into ccn schools?


I while back ago I was in the same situation (167, 3.87). Folks on TLS encouraged me to take the test again because 1) I knew I could do better (I bombed the logic games because I misread a rule on third game that cost me a ton of time, but scored almost perfectly on the other sections) 2) my relatively high gpa that would put me on the high end of most schools' medians.

I did take the test over and scored a 173. Largely as a result I believe, I got into Harvard, Columbia, NYU..and down from there (didn't apply to U of C). I really owe a lot to the TLSers who convinced me to suck it up and retake. If you can keep your gpa from slipping and you're pretty sure you can break 170, I think it's worth it for you too. Good luck!

sampras13

New
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:47 pm

Re: Retake Score for U of C/NYU?

Postby sampras13 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:57 am

hey so my gpa has dropped to a 3.77, do you guys still think 171 for chicago, nyu? Sorry to bring this up again I am just in the middle of deciding whether to attend one of the schools i have gotten into this year or try in June again. Also, what would I need for Northwestern? (i have a few years work experience)

User avatar
canes

Bronze
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:02 pm

Re: Retake Score for U of C/NYU?

Postby canes » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:34 pm

Your best score is what would be needed... It's not like you can show up on test day and decide to stop at a 171. Either way you'd need a new score.

Put a deposit down at your top choice for this cycle and retake in June. If you go over 170, I'd reapply next year. What are your current options?

sampras13

New
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:47 pm

Re: Retake Score for U of C/NYU?

Postby sampras13 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:05 pm

My choices are Fordham and BU (with very little money).




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest