Too late for one more application?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
SherlockHolmes

Too late for one more application?

Postby SherlockHolmes » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:04 pm

Quick question. I was thinking of applying to Emory today, but I'm worried that it's too late since my numbers aren't blockbusters. Would it be a waste of money to apply? Thanks for the help.

Numbers
LSAT: 161
GPA: 3.45
URM

dissonance1848

Re: Too late for one more application?

Postby dissonance1848 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:06 pm

Native American is a hard to predict URM, and doesn't have the boost that Mexican American or African American does. That said, you might be able to get Emory's attention. Its a calculated gamble.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:21 pm

Supposedly Emory's taking a long time making decisions this cycle, so you wouldn't be too far behind.

RedTex

Postby RedTex » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:21 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:Native American is a hard to predict URM, and doesn't have the boost that Mexican American or African American does. That said, you might be able to get Emory's attention. Its a calculated gamble.

Where did you get your data on Native American being a lesser boost?

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:32 pm

I always thought NA was the biggest boost ? Makes sense to me.

SherlockHolmes

Postby SherlockHolmes » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:34 pm

RedTex wrote:
dissonance1848 wrote:Native American is a hard to predict URM, and doesn't have the boost that Mexican American or African American does. That said, you might be able to get Emory's attention. Its a calculated gamble.

Where did you get your data on Native American being a lesser boost?

I think the boost giving to Native American varies. Those who have shown strong cultural affiliation receive the biggest boost, followed by tribal card carrying members, and lastly those with a significant blood quantum. I may be wrong, but that's what I've gathered. Anyways though, back on point. I'm leaning towards sending in the app since Emory is taking so long with their decisions.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:57 pm

I'd agree with the above posters and say take a shot. I'm sure you already have, but consult LSN graph for 09-10 to get an idea of where you are at. It is a bit of a shot, but because of their unusual admissions policy you aren't necessarily too far behind. I happen to think its a great school and will STRONGLY consider paying sticker to attend.

serdog

Postby serdog » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:21 pm

Also NA can depend on how many application a school gets. ie Top Schools don't want to put down zero so may take a NA with lower numbers late in the Cycle

Return to “What are my chances?”