Worth retaking and reapplying

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
yasafener1907

Worth retaking and reapplying

Postby yasafener1907 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:49 pm

Here's my situation:

3.35 GPA from top 20 school
165/169 LSAT (2 weeks of self-study before each)

Applied in mid-December and in at GW, Minn (+20k/yr), and OSU
Waitlisted at Vandy
Denied from UVA

I currently live in DC and am considering moving to Northern VA, retaking the LSAT (I'm thinking I could break 170), and applying ED to UVA as an in-state resident. Do you think reapplying in September (ED), with residency, another year of work experience and a slightly higher LSAT is a good strategy after already being denied in this cycle? Any thoughts or comments would be really helpful in making this decision. Thanks!

rebexness

Re: Worth retaking and reapplying

Postby rebexness » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:54 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:09 pm

It is 100000000% worth it.

On a side note, I don't think you will qualify as in-state by the time you apply. I could be wrong, but I would look into that more if I were you. However it doesn't really matter considering a 170+ will guarantee you UVa ED.

yasafener1907

Postby yasafener1907 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:14 pm

bk1 wrote:It is 100000000% worth it.

On a side note, I don't think you will qualify as in-state by the time you apply. I could be wrong, but I would look into that more if I were you. However it doesn't really matter considering a 170+ will guarantee you UVa ED.

I've looked into it and you need to be a VA resident 12 months before classes start. I'd move from DC to NoVA in June, switch my drivers license, register to vote, the whole deal. I'm pretty sure that will do it, but what makes you think otherwise? I don't want that to be a huge waste of time and effort haha

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:18 pm

yasafener1907 wrote:
bk1 wrote:It is 100000000% worth it.

I've looked into it and you need to be a VA resident 12 months before classes start. I'd move from DC to NoVA in June, switch my drivers license, register to vote, the whole deal. I'm pretty sure that will do it, but what makes you think otherwise? I don't want that to be a huge waste of time and effort haha

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:28 pm

if your goal was UVa and thus knew your LSAT needed to be high to counterbalance your low GPA, why did you spend so little time studying for it? I think if you broke 170 and applied ED you'd get in without having to move there. This is pretty solid advice considering UVa is extremely predictable with numbers - 3.4/169 you're not getting in ED, but 3.4/170 you're golden. You only have one more chance to retake though, so don't fuck it up.

yasafener1907

Postby yasafener1907 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:32 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:if your goal was UVa and thus knew your LSAT needed to be high to counterbalance your low GPA, why did you spend so little time studying for it? I think if you broke 170 and applied ED you'd get in without having to move there. This is pretty solid advice considering UVa is extremely predictable with numbers - 3.4/169 you're not getting in ED, but 3.4/170 you're golden. You only have one more chance to retake though, so don't fuck it up.

My goal all along wasn't UVA, but my girlfriend will be working there (and likely attending grad school there) for the next 2-4 years. It seems like the residency isn't that important given what you all are saying, but I thought it was very important. That's not really an issue though, as I'll live in VA even if I choose to to go GW this year. What do you think happens if I do "fuck it up" aka get a 167. Do you think I'd still have a shot as a resident applying ED early in the cycle?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:43 pm

yasafener1907 wrote:My goal all along wasn't UVA, but my girlfriend will be working there (and likely attending grad school there) for the next 2-4 years. It seems like the residency isn't that important given what you all are saying, but I thought it was very important. That's not really an issue though, as I'll live in VA even if I choose to to go GW this year. What do you think happens if I do "fuck it up" aka get a 167. Do you think I'd still have a shot as a resident applying ED early in the cycle?

It looks like even 169/sub3.5 VA residents get rejected or waitlisted at UVa ED.

You studied for a month and got a 169, you are unlikely to fuck it up if you actually put in some time.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:46 pm

short-answer via TLS cliches:

retake

then
ED to UVA

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:48 pm

99.9luft wrote:short-answer via TLS cliches:

retake

then
ED to UVA

lol. I constantly feel compelled to answer "ED to UVA" to every unanswered post on this site, regardless of what it's asking.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:49 pm

I've been thinking about doing something like this. Numbers in profile and give me a >100% chance of UVA if I ED early in the cycle (according to TLS wisdom). Only in WUSTL and hopefully Vandy (decision mailed 1/31), so if this would make UVA a sure thing, going to definitely consider it.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:50 pm

bk1 wrote:
yasafener1907 wrote:My goal all along wasn't UVA, but my girlfriend will be working there (and likely attending grad school there) for the next 2-4 years. It seems like the residency isn't that important given what you all are saying, but I thought it was very important. That's not really an issue though, as I'll live in VA even if I choose to to go GW this year. What do you think happens if I do "fuck it up" aka get a 167. Do you think I'd still have a shot as a resident applying ED early in the cycle?

It looks like even 169/sub3.5 VA residents get rejected or waitlisted at UVa ED.

You studied for a month and got a 169, you are unlikely to fuck it up if you actually put in some time.

Haha, yes bk and I are echoing one another. With that GPA, if you get below a 170 you aren't getting in, ED or RD, unless it's by some miracle off the waitlist...which might be more likely if you were a resident.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:51 pm

Kabuo wrote:I've been thinking about doing something like this. Numbers in profile and give me a >100% chance of UVA if I ED early in the cycle (according to TLS wisdom). Only in WUSTL and hopefully Vandy (decision mailed 1/31), so if this would make UVA a sure thing, going to definitely consider it.

hmmmm....no offense to you and your app, but it says you ED'd 12/19, and I don't know if I'd consider that a late ED.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:52 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:Haha, yes bk and I are echoing one another. With that GPA, if you get below a 170 you aren't getting in, ED or RD, unless it's by some miracle off the waitlist...which might be more likely if you were a resident.

I actually didn't believe it until I looked. I thought for sure that a 169/3.4 VA resident could get into UVa ED until I actually searched them out on LSN.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:54 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
Kabuo wrote:I've been thinking about doing something like this. Numbers in profile and give me a >100% chance of UVA if I ED early in the cycle (according to TLS wisdom). Only in WUSTL and hopefully Vandy (decision mailed 1/31), so if this would make UVA a sure thing, going to definitely consider it.

hmmmm....no offense to you and your app, but it says you ED'd 12/19, and I don't know if I'd consider that a late ED.

It's late, but not so late that I think it would ding a 172/3.2.

I think this cycle for UVa was very impacted, especially for splitters. They overenrolled last year and enticed a lot of splitters to defer by offering them scholarship money, thus making this cycle tougher than normal for splitters. Plus with more people retaking the LSAT, high LSAT applicants are more common. I think UVa 11-12 cycle should be easier than 10-11 but not as easy as 09-10 for splitters, but I could be wrong.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:56 pm

bk1 wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:Haha, yes bk and I are echoing one another. With that GPA, if you get below a 170 you aren't getting in, ED or RD, unless it's by some miracle off the waitlist...which might be more likely if you were a resident.

I actually didn't believe it until I looked. I thought for sure that a 169/3.4 VA resident could get into UVa ED until I actually searched them out on LSN.

I was chatting with someone on TLS (a VA resident) who had a 165/3.84 when she ED'd and got waitlisted, and there is another LSN person (nonresident) who ED'd with a 165/3.89 and got in. Both from this cycle. Seriously.

edit: my point being, UVA is a median PROSTITUTE

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:02 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
lol. I constantly feel compelled to answer "ED to UVA" to every unanswered post on this site, regardless of what it's asking.

i've done it a couple of times. funny that it actually makes sense (and isn't 'dick') ITT

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:23 pm

bk1 wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:

It's late, but not so late that I think it would ding a 172/3.2.

I think this cycle for UVa was very impacted, especially for splitters. They overenrolled last year and enticed a lot of splitters to defer by offering them scholarship money, thus making this cycle tougher than normal for splitters. Plus with more people retaking the LSAT, high LSAT applicants are more common. I think UVa 11-12 cycle should be easier than 10-11 but not as easy as 09-10 for splitters, but I could be wrong.

In that case, in state and ED would make me a sure thing unless I personally insulted the adcomm who was reading my file, right?

EDIT to make this a question.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:25 pm

Kabuo wrote:In that case, in state and ED would make me a sure thing unless I personally insulted the adcomm who was reading my file, right?

EDIT to make this a question.

I would assume a 172/3.2 are in September ED. Though, I am kind of surprised you were outright rejected in December.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:27 pm

Frankly, I was pretty surprised also. I thought maybe my app had some horrendous mistake in it, but I didn't see any when I checked. Plus, WUSTL took me, so I figured it couldn't be THAT bad. Or maybe WUSTL takes any 172.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:29 pm

Kabuo wrote:Frankly, I was pretty surprised also. I thought maybe my app had some horrendous mistake in it, but I didn't see any when I checked. Plus, WUSTL took me, so I figured it couldn't be THAT bad. Or maybe WUSTL takes any 172.

WUSTL is that loose (though UVa is pretty loose too for ED). Maybe LOR's?

I mean I would hazard that the rejection in December is due to the overenrollment of splitters from the cycle prior and the increase in the number of high LSAT applicants. Hopefully the former won't be an issue next cycle and that ED'ing two cycles in a row plus ED'ing in September should help you out.

kelc213

Postby kelc213 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:42 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
bk1 wrote:

I was chatting with someone on TLS (a VA resident) who had a 165/3.84 when she ED'd and got waitlisted, and there is another LSN person (nonresident) who ED'd with a 165/3.89 and got in. Both from this cycle. Seriously.

I'm the LSN 165/3.89 OOS person.... and I did prostitute myself to get in. So there's always that option.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:53 pm

kelc213 wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
bk1 wrote:

I'm the LSN 165/3.89 OOS person.... and I did prostitute myself to get in. So there's always that option.

omg you are??? awesome. i feel so cheap talking about you behind your back but i had no idea it was you!

kelc213

Postby kelc213 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:01 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:
kelc213 wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:

omg you are??? awesome. i feel so cheap talking about you behind your back but i had no idea it was you!

I think it's me. Although on LSN I rounded up to 3.9. So maybe there's another person with 165/3.89 OOS ED :evil: I will END THEM.

but at least now we both feel cheap. me for prostituting myself to get in, and you for talking about it. :oops:

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:51 pm

kelc213 wrote:I think it's me. Although on LSN I rounded up to 3.9. So maybe there's another person with 165/3.89 OOS ED :evil: I will END THEM.

Made me think:

Return to “What are my chances?”