Chance at Michigan?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

What will happen to me at Michigan?

Accept
16
44%
WL
19
53%
Deny
1
3%
 
Total votes: 36

User avatar
NorCalBruin
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:58 pm

Chance at Michigan?

Postby NorCalBruin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:04 am

Given that I didn't go complete until Thursday, January 27th (applied Dec. 16th).

And given that my numbers are 167/169 retake, 3.80 gpa, and average softs, what do you think my chances are?
Edit: Also out of state (CA).

Accept, WL, or Deny?

C'mon Wolverines! I love you!
Last edited by NorCalBruin on Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: Chance at Michigan?

Postby akili » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:11 am

NorCalBruin wrote:Given that I didn't go complete until Thursday, January 27th (applied Dec. 16th).

And given that my numbers are 167/169 retake, 3.80 gpa, and average softs, what do you think my chances are?

Accept, WL, or Deny?

C'mon Wolverines! I love you!


I said accept bc we are # twins and I want Michigan so bad!

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Chance at Michigan?

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:40 am

I would say WL, but I'm pretty sure you won't get dinged. Is 169 still the median for Michigan?

User avatar
NorCalBruin
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:58 pm

Re: Chance at Michigan?

Postby NorCalBruin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:42 am

Yea, median is 169, and the 25th and 75th %iles are 168 and 171, respectively.

The median GPA is 3.73, with the 25th and 75th %iles at 3.57 and 3.85, respectively.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Chance at Michigan?

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:05 am

Did you write a Why Michigan? How many optional essays did you write?

User avatar
NorCalBruin
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:58 pm

Re: Chance at Michigan?

Postby NorCalBruin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:12 am

I did write a Why Michigan essay (Essay One). It was good, but not exceptional. But my PS was very solid.

My second essay was Essay Three, the essay to explain why your academic transcript or scores may not reflect your true potential. I basically wrote a short, concise addendum for this "essay" to explain the downward trend in my grades senior year (family issues: sister manic-depression / bipolar emergencies).

The application said a maximum of two essays, so that's what I kept it to.

Ignatius Reilly
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:47 am

Re: Chance at Michigan?

Postby Ignatius Reilly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:33 am

NorCalBruin wrote:I did write a Why Michigan essay (Essay One). It was good, but not exceptional. But my PS was very solid.

My second essay was Essay Three, the essay to explain why your academic transcript or scores may not reflect your true potential. I basically wrote a short, concise addendum for this "essay" to explain the downward trend in my grades senior year (family issues: sister manic-depression / bipolar emergencies).

The application said a maximum of two essays, so that's what I kept it to.



I thought that you could attach an additional addendum for that sort of thing.

User avatar
NorCalBruin
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:58 pm

Re: Chance at Michigan?

Postby NorCalBruin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:39 am

You probably could, but it was one of their specific essay choices, and I didn't see an addendum mentioned anywhere else**, so I didn't want to push my luck.

**With the exception of a conduct statement, which they mention towards the bottom of the application.

User avatar
buckilaw
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

Re: Chance at Michigan?

Postby buckilaw » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:56 am

I got into Mich with a GPA above median and a LSAT below. But, I applied ED. Though I'm pretty sure my essays put me over the top. If your essays are exceptional you definitely have a chance.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Chance at Michigan?

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:02 am

Hard to tell this late, but with a good why mich you should be in. A lot of people with your numbers got some money last cycle.

User avatar
CGI Fridays
Posts: 897
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:46 pm

Re: Chance at Michigan?

Postby CGI Fridays » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:07 am


r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Chance at Michigan?

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:10 am

I will do you one better:

http://michigan.lawschoolnumbers.com/ap ... ,8&type=jd

Look at the dates. If they like what you wrote, you should be good.

User avatar
CGI Fridays
Posts: 897
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:46 pm

Re: Chance at Michigan?

Postby CGI Fridays » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:43 am

r6_philly wrote:I will do you one better:

http://michigan.lawschoolnumbers.com/ap ... ,8&type=jd

Look at the dates. If they like what you wrote, you should be good.

Hmmmm. I narrowed it down to just 169's, from 3.5-3.8 for this cycle (almost all GPA's above 3.4-ish with a 169 got in, and when I limited it to 3.7 & up, there weren't enough samples)

Excluded URM, non-trad, & international.

This Cycle

Was able to narrow down the GPA from last cycle

User avatar
NorCalBruin
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:58 pm

Re: Chance at Michigan?

Postby NorCalBruin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:22 pm

Thanks, I really appreciate it. Those are both promising. However, the sample size of people who went complete this late was pretty teeny-weeny, but I hope they still prove prophetic!

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Chance at Michigan?

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:31 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:Thanks, I really appreciate it. Those are both promising. However, the sample size of people who went complete this late was pretty teeny-weeny, but I hope they still prove prophetic!

If you really want michigan and don't get in this cycle, take an extra year and apply early next cycle where you are almost for sure going to get in.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Chance at Michigan?

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:34 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
NorCalBruin wrote:Thanks, I really appreciate it. Those are both promising. However, the sample size of people who went complete this late was pretty teeny-weeny, but I hope they still prove prophetic!

If you really want michigan and don't get in this cycle, take an extra year and apply early next cycle where you are almost for sure going to get in.

This. Early in the cycle it is probably a sure thing with $ especially if you hint in your why Michigan that you didn't go to law school this cycle because Michigan was the only school for you or some such flattery.

User avatar
NorCalBruin
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:58 pm

Re: Chance at Michigan?

Postby NorCalBruin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:06 pm

I'm hoping that with the 10-12% decrease in applicants/test takers that they will take 169's a little later into the cycle. But I know that's probably just wishful thinking.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Chance at Michigan?

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:08 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:I'm hoping that with the 10-12% decrease in applicants/test takers that they will take 169's a little later into the cycle. But I know that's probably just wishful thinking.


I wish they hurry up and post the December figures. They could potentially generate 20% increased revenue in report fees (and increase in application fees to schools).

User avatar
NorCalBruin
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:58 pm

Re: Chance at Michigan?

Postby NorCalBruin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:11 pm

r6_philly wrote:
NorCalBruin wrote:I'm hoping that with the 10-12% decrease in applicants/test takers that they will take 169's a little later into the cycle. But I know that's probably just wishful thinking.


I wish they hurry up and post the December figures. They could potentially generate 20% increased revenue in report fees (and increase in application fees to schools).


So, forgive my stupidity... and what does that mean exactly?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Chance at Michigan?

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:14 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
NorCalBruin wrote:I'm hoping that with the 10-12% decrease in applicants/test takers that they will take 169's a little later into the cycle. But I know that's probably just wishful thinking.


I wish they hurry up and post the December figures. They could potentially generate 20% increased revenue in report fees (and increase in application fees to schools).


So, forgive my stupidity... and what does that mean exactly?


If the test taker numbers for Dec. is down again, a lot more people will feel optimistic about their chances at reaches, so they may fire off more applications to reaches.

User avatar
NorCalBruin
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:58 pm

Re: Chance at Michigan?

Postby NorCalBruin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:17 pm

Any idea when we'll know... oh wise sage?




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest