Chance Me Please? (Extreme Splitter)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Anacreon

Chance Me Please? (Extreme Splitter)

Postby Anacreon » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:56 pm

2.94, 171

OK softs (PT WE during college; lots of volunteering and the typical student government crap). Not sure how my letters of recommendation will look. Upward grade trend. BIG-RESEARCH-STATE-UNIVERSITY.

*Note - applying next cycle.

UVA ED
Georgetown ED
WuStl
GWU
BU
Illinois
BC
William & Mary

Other schools worth attending? I don't care about job market. I'd just like to live comfortably after graduation.

Thanks In Advance!

NorCalBruin

Re: Chance Me Please? (Extreme Splitter)

Postby NorCalBruin » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:06 pm

What are you doing now? Are you working? How long have you been working?

Consider applying to NU ED. They are splitter friendly, especially to those with WE.

Anacreon

Postby Anacreon » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:08 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:What are you doing now? Are you working? How long have you been working?

Consider applying to NU ED. They are splitter friendly, especially to those with WE.

college junior (December LSAT taker)

I'd consider taking a couple years off to do Americorps but by then schools will have probably raised their median-75%ile LSAT and I'd get locked out.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:12 pm

I'd say that GPA may WL at nearly all of those schools. Maybe you'll get a hit with one or two of them (say BC or W&M).

Anacreon

Postby Anacreon » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:19 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:I'd say that GPA may WL at nearly all of those schools. Maybe you'll get a hit with one or two of them (say BC or W&M).

I feel pretty good about WUSTL.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:21 pm

Anacreon wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:I'd say that GPA may WL at nearly all of those schools. Maybe you'll get a hit with one or two of them (say BC or W&M).

I feel pretty good about WUSTL.

Didn't see WUSTL. Fail.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:21 pm

WUSTL, Illinois=COUNT IT, in with $

The rest=WL/Out

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:22 pm

You're only a junior? Well then I cannot stress enough how important it is for you to get your GPA over 3.0. It just looks better and is perceived in a more positive light.

You have a pretty good shot at WUSTL and UIUC for sure. Maybe apply to Minnesota too. Get that GPA up over the next two semesters and it should help your chances a lot.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:22 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:

The rest=WL/Out

Dood, come on... go to bar review. I need more of you in my life.

Anacreon

Postby Anacreon » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:25 pm

romothesavior wrote:You're only a junior? Well then I cannot stress enough how important it is for you to get your GPA over 3.0. It just looks better and is perceived in a more positive light.

You have a pretty good shot at WUSTL and UIUC for sure. Maybe apply to Minnesota too. Get that GPA up over the next two semesters and it should help your chances a lot.

But I won't be applying to law school at the end of my senior year and like I said before if I get WE I'm afraid schools will raise their LSAT percentiles, leaving me locked out.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:27 pm

Anacreon wrote:
romothesavior wrote:You're only a junior? Well then I cannot stress enough how important it is for you to get your GPA over 3.0. It just looks better and is perceived in a more positive light.

But I won't be applying to law school at the end of my senior year and like I said before if I get WE I'm afraid schools will raise their LSAT percentiles, leaving me locked out.

I'm confused. You're a junior now, right? Which means, you will be applying next cycle (in the middle of your senior year). So what's the concern?

dr123

Postby dr123 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:28 pm

you could always take some easy ass summer classes to pad that gpa a bit

Anacreon

Postby Anacreon » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:28 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Anacreon wrote:

I'm confused. You're a junior now, right? Which means, you will be applying next cycle (in the middle of your senior year). So what's the concern?

I'll want to apply early, like in September/October. My GPA isn't going to rise above 3.0 this spring - I'm already factoring in a small rise.

Anacreon

Postby Anacreon » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:29 pm

dr123 wrote:you could always take some easy ass summer classes to pad that gpa a bit

Is getting the GPA closer to 3.0 worth $4,500?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:30 pm

Anacreon wrote:I'll want to apply early, like in September/October. My GPA isn't going to rise above 3.0 this spring - I'm already factoring in a small rise.

You are going to be looking at a lot of WLs. So even if you apply early, you're going to waiting until next spring for some schools. So bust your ass and get your GPA up.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:31 pm

Anacreon wrote:
dr123 wrote:you could always take some easy ass summer classes to pad that gpa a bit

probably not, i dont know about your school but at my ug summer classes were significantly cheaper than fall/winter/spring. Also you could graduate a semester/quarter early by taking summer classes
Last edited by dr123 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:52 pm

romothesavior wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:

The rest=WL/Out

Dood, come on... go to bar review. I need more of you in my life.

lol, maybe I'll show up later

Anacreon

Postby Anacreon » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:36 pm

Friendly BUMP

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:39 pm

Anacreon wrote:2.94, 171

OK softs (PT WE during college; lots of volunteering and the typical student government crap). Not sure how my letters of recommendation will look. Upward grade trend. BIG-RESEARCH-STATE-UNIVERSITY.

*Note - applying next cycle.

UVA ED
Georgetown ED
WuStl
GWU
BU
Illinois
BC
William & Mary

Other schools worth attending? I don't care about job market. I'd just like to live comfortably after graduation.

Thanks In Advance!

I'm 170/2.94 so perhaps my results will be useful for you:

UVA ED - Waitlist
Georgetown RD - Held
Northwestern RD - Held
GWU ED - Accepted RD, no $
WUSTL - Accepted, no $ (not sure if they've sent out scholly info yet though)
BU - just emailed me asking for my fall grades before they'll make a decision
BC - Waitlist
Fordham - Waitlist
Minnesota - Waitlist
W&M - Pending

Anacreon

Postby Anacreon » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:33 am

fatduck - thanks so much! Let's keep in touch.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:15 pm

Add Indiana to your list, if for no other reason than scholarship negotiation.

Anacreon

Postby Anacreon » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:58 pm

Bumi wrote:Add Indiana to your list, if for no other reason than scholarship negotiation.

So you think I'd be 'IN' there?

CliveStaples

Postby CliveStaples » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:06 am

Anacreon wrote:

Take summer classes online at a junior college. Correct me if I'm wrong but even if the classes don't count towards your degree they will still count towards your UGPA. For less than $1000 you could probably get 12 hours worth of 4.0 with very little effort over the summer. If I would have known that I was going to law school before I graduated I would have switched to an easier major and taken easy summer school courses.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:00 am

I just want to chime in to point out that OP's fear about schools increasing their median LSAT's is unfounded. LSAT scores are based on a historical curve, so the distribution of scores is more or less constant. Pretty much the only way that a group of schools could raise their median LSAT scores is to "steal" students with higher scores from other schools. In other words, a rise in the median LSAT at one school must, in most cases, be accompanied by a corresponding dip in the same elsewhere.

The primary exceptions to this rule come from either a)an extraordinarily high proportion of (score-improving) retakes, or b)an extraordinarily high number of tests taken, in which case there would simply be more high scores to choose from. The former scenario is unpredictable, and, as for the latter, the most recent cycle saw far more LSAT's administered than any other in history. It's highly unlikely that that trend will continue.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:27 am

UVA ED.

Return to “What are my chances?”