159/3.33 (URM)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mexicanwa

159/3.33 (URM)

Postby mexicanwa » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:07 am

So basically I was PT'ing in the mid 160's very consistently, but a combination of one of the reading comprehension passages and the stained glass windows resulted in a less than favorable December LSAT.

LSAT: 159
GPA: 3.33 (3.56) Extreme upward trend
Major: Management Operations
URM: Mexican
Softs: Lots of community service, very little work experience
Great letters of recommendation and a pretty good Diversity Statement

I have applied to the following schools, and I desperately need a little reassurance that I will at least get into one of them so I can sleep at night (I am not kidding). I applied to all the T14's that I got fee waivers to but I know what everyone will say already. Thanks in advance!

American
Arizona
Boston College
Boston University
George Mason
Illinois
Vanderbilt
University of Washington
Washington and Lee
Washington University
William and Mary

Flustercluck

Re: 159/3.33 (URM)

Postby Flustercluck » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:12 am

You will get into American, g'night!

mexicanwa

Postby mexicanwa » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:13 am

Flustercluck wrote:You will get into American, g'night!

I should take American off there, I kind of figured I would based off LSN. What about the rest?

mexicanwa

Postby mexicanwa » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:46 pm

bump?

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:22 pm

American- IN
Arizona- IN
Boston College- WL/IN (maybe they are pretty holistic so they will look beyond the numbers)
Boston University- OUT
George Mason- WL/IN
Illinois- WL/IN
Vanderbilt- OUT
University of Washington- OUT (unless in-state)
Washington and Lee- WL/OUT
Washington University- WL/OUT
William and Mary- WL/OUT

thats my best guess.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:26 pm

mexicanwa wrote:I applied to all the T14's that I got fee waivers to but I know what everyone will say already. Thanks in advance!

Does your suspicion include the letters r, e, t, a, k, e?

I'm shocked that hasn't come out yet. If you were PTing in the mid 160s, you shouldn't settle on a 159, even if it means applying next cycle. You have a degree that can get you a job for a year while you reapply. I would suggest going that route. If my degree wasn't so worthless IRL, I would take this advice.

mexicanwa

Postby mexicanwa » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:34 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:American- IN
Arizona- IN
Boston College- WL/IN (maybe they are pretty holistic so they will look beyond the numbers)
Boston University- OUT
George Mason- WL/IN
Illinois- WL/IN
Vanderbilt- OUT
University of Washington- OUT (unless in-state)
Washington and Lee- WL/OUT
Washington University- WL/OUT
William and Mary- WL/OUT

thats my best guess.

I am a Washington resident. I know I should take a year off to retake but I really can't bring myself to do it. When you say WL/IN do you mean to say that I will be WL and the result will be that I am accepted?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:37 pm

mexicanwa wrote:I am a Washington resident. I know I should take a year off to retake but I really can't bring myself to do it. When you say WL/IN do you mean to say that I will be WL and the result will be that I am accepted?

You really should. It sucks but it is worth it.

It's best to act rationally when you're about to burn 6 figures worth of money.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:40 pm

bk1 wrote:
mexicanwa wrote:I am a Washington resident. I know I should take a year off to retake but I really can't bring myself to do it. When you say WL/IN do you mean to say that I will be WL and the result will be that I am accepted?

I would take bk's advice on this one. I personally would not take a year off and/or retake, but in your case, I believe it is the best option. Not telling you what to do, but you have a decent GPA and with your URM status, a mid-160 will break you in to the T14.

Flustercluck

Postby Flustercluck » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:15 pm

Here to join the retake and reapply bandwagon, I did it last year. It sucks, but I got into a much better school this year than i had a chance of last year, and it retrospect I can't believe I even considered not doing so. For comparison's sake

159, 3.33, URM
American -In
Arizona - In
Boston College - WL/Out
Boston University - Out
George Mason - In
Illinois - WL/Toss up
Vanderbilt - Out
University of Washington - WL/In
Washington and Lee - Out
Washington University - WL/Toss up
William and Mary - WL Out

164, 3.33, URM
American -In w/$$$
Arizona - In w/$$
Boston College - In
Boston University - In
George Mason - In w/$
Illinois - in w/$$
Vanderbilt - WL/Toss up
University of Washington - In
Washington and Lee - In w/$$
Washington University - In, possible $$
William and Mary - In

Think of it this way: between better school options with higher earning potential and the possibility of getting money from some of those chools, you're looking at hundreds of thousands of dollars in difference in terms of career earnings. I know that was damn well worth an extra year to me...
Last edited by Flustercluck on Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mexicanwa

Postby mexicanwa » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:16 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
bk1 wrote:

I would take bk's advice on this one. I personally would not take a year off and/or retake, but in your case, I believe it is the best option. Not telling you what to do, but you have a decent GPA and with your URM status, a mid-160 will break you in to the T14.

I am a very rational person, but if I take a year off to study/retake and I score below my PT's again, I would die inside.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:18 pm

mexicanwa wrote:I am a very rational person, but if I take a year off to study/retake and I score below my PT's again, I would die inside.

You have 2 chances to retake (ideally that would be this June and then October if June doesn't go well). If you can raise your score to even the low 160's things would look a lot better, mid to high 160's would be huge.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:19 pm

mexicanwa wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:
bk1 wrote:

I am a very rational person, but if I take a year off to study/retake and I score below my PT's again, I would die inside.

Take a look at flustercluck's post. It's pretty compelling, no?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:20 pm

You might be pleasantly surprised by W&M. Although I do agree that retaking the LSAT after serious prep is worthwhile.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:24 pm

Flustercluck wrote:Here to join the retake and reapply bandwagon, I did it last year. It sucks, but I got into a much better school this year than i had a chance of last year, and it retrospect I can't believe I even considered not doing so. For comparison's sake

This post is the best argument for retake I have ever seen, especially for URMs.

Flustercluck

Postby Flustercluck » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:25 pm

mexicanwa wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Would you rather die slowly under a mountain of debt that you can't pay back because you refused to wait one year and give yourself the best chance at success?

Potential downside = waiting an extra year = -$*
Potential upside = better school for less money leading to better career = +$$$$$$$*

*all $s are rough estimates

mexicanwa

Postby mexicanwa » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:30 pm

The arguments are pretty compelling. Money is not an issue but I still don't want to settle. I suppose I will wait and see where I get in and go from there. I just have no idea what I would do for a year if I did decide to wait.

Flustercluck

Postby Flustercluck » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:34 pm

Thanks MrPapagiorgio and vanwinkle, I'll probably end up copying and pasting this in whenever this sort of question comes up again... :)

But seriously, I'm just paying forward the advce I received on TLS last year. Not retaking would have been a huge mistake for me, and I want to make sure OP understands that in his situation, retake and reapply is the best course of action

OP, there are a lot of options for one year jobs. Had a friend that worked on a cruise line for a year, great experience. My sister is doing Americorps right now, the pay isn't great (or good, really) but if money's not an issue, urm + americorps + 164+ = almost certainly T14

Return to “What are my chances?”