GPA question/ application

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
cmg2199

GPA question/ application

Postby cmg2199 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:54 pm

Hello everyone I am new to the forum so please excuse me if I am posting in the wrong section. Ok let me get to it. Basically, I went away for college straight out of high school at 17 and did not do well academically and moved back and finished my associates degree at a community college with a rather low 2.4 gpa. I took some time off to regroup and continued my education at Florida International University and i currently have a 3.8 GPA and I am one semester awayfrom graduating. I want to know what are my chances of getting into University of Miami Law School and similiar law programs? Will my associates GPA or my bachelors GPA be of importance? Also will they take into consideration the dramatic change I made academically? Thanks in advance everyone.....

Eugenie Danglars

Re: GPA question/ application

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:06 am

cmg2199 wrote:Hello everyone I am new to the forum so please excuse me if I am posting in the wrong section. Ok let me get to it. Basically, I went away for college straight out of high school at 17 and did not do well academically and moved back and finished my associates degree at a community college with a rather low 2.4 gpa. I took some time off to regroup and continued my education at Florida International University and i currently have a 3.8 GPA and I am one semester awayfrom graduating. I want to know what are my chances of getting into University of Miami Law School and similiar law programs? Will my associates GPA or my bachelors GPA be of importance? Also will they take into consideration the dramatic change I made academically? Thanks in advance everyone.....

Unfortunately, your LSAC gpa (the one that matters for admissions) will be calculated from all your college classes. Your gpa will be somewhere between 2.4 and 3.8. If you want, you can write an addendum when you apply explaining the situation, but that might or might not be wise. There are a jillion threads on addenda, so check them when you're ready to apply.

For future reference, this is probably better off in the Admissions forum :-)

cmg2199

Postby cmg2199 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:04 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
cmg2199 wrote:Hello everyone I am new to the forum so please excuse me if I am posting in the wrong section. Ok let me get to it. Basically, I went away for college straight out of high school at 17 and did not do well academically and moved back and finished my associates degree at a community college with a rather low 2.4 gpa. I took some time off to regroup and continued my education at Florida International University and i currently have a 3.8 GPA and I am one semester awayfrom graduating. I want to know what are my chances of getting into University of Miami Law School and similiar law programs? Will my associates GPA or my bachelors GPA be of importance? Also will they take into consideration the dramatic change I made academically? Thanks in advance everyone.....

Unfortunately, your LSAC gpa (the one that matters for admissions) will be calculated from all your college classes. Your gpa will be somewhere between 2.4 and 3.8. If you want, you can write an addendum when you apply explaining the situation, but that might or might not be wise. There are a jillion threads on addenda, so check them when you're ready to apply.

For future reference, this is probably better off in the Admissions forum :-)

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it. Ok, so, I calculated my LSAC GPA and it would come out to a 3.1... I have yet to take the LSAT with my GPA and lets say a 160 LSAT score ( hypothetically, I believe I can score better but just for arguments sake) do I have a good shot at getting into Miami School of Law? I am Hispanic if that helps at all? Thanks in advance again.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:31 pm

What kind of Hispanic are you? Mexican? Puerto Rican? Cuban? Venezuelan?

Believe it or not, it matters quite a bit.

cmg2199

Postby cmg2199 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:37 pm

Really? I am Nicaraguan/American

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:58 pm

URM is only Puerto Rican or Mexican. I am part Brazilian myself. We may get tinys boosts at best. Study your ass off for the LSAT. Thats the only and best advice you can get. Check out the study schedules and materials list people have on here. They will help.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:01 pm

Yeah, LSAT weighs between 2x - 5x as much as your GPA, depending on the institution. Study your ass off, rock the LSAT, apply, and it's possible.

cmg2199

Postby cmg2199 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:03 pm

Ok, thanks everyone for your input I really appreciate it! I will definitely put all of my effort into killing the LSAT.

cmg2199

Postby cmg2199 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:05 pm

StillHerexxx wrote:URM is only Puerto Rican or Mexican. I am part Brazilian myself. We may get tinys boosts at best. Study your ass off for the LSAT. Thats the only and best advice you can get. Check out the study schedules and materials list people have on here. They will help.

Damn, that's a shame. I definitely will thanks for the help!

Return to “What are my chances?”