Accepted to the following schools so far (all T14-T22). What

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
masterthearts

Accepted to the following schools so far (all T14-T22). What

Postby masterthearts » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:36 pm

What are my chances for Columbia and NYU and U Mich?

GPA 3.9 (ivy) and 162 LSAT

In at GULC, GW, Boston University, Vanderbilt, Univ of Minnesota

WL at UVA, WL at U of Chicago.

What are my chances at being accepted to NYU or Columbia based on my stats and acceptances so far? I agree, it might be tough.
I have an awesome PS/diversity/adversity statement all in one essay and awesome extracurrics and also bilingual.

Patriot1208

Re: Accepted to the following schools so far (all T14-T22). What

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:03 pm

Pretty much zero that you'll get anything better than waitlists. You really need a retake

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:04 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Pretty much zero that you'll get anything better than waitlists. You really need a retake

Montevillian

Postby Montevillian » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:05 pm

Basically? You've got no chance. I mean that nicely, but you should know that LSAT score is ridiculously low for any T14, especially CCN. If you're dead set on CCN, you're going to have to retake.

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:06 pm

You scored in the retake percentile.

Apparently with your softs and sick GPA, HYS could be an option with a good retake score.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:06 pm

NYU & Columbia are doubtful simply due to your LSAT score. Good to see a 162 being admitted to Georgetown, Vanderbilt, BU, GW & Minnesota !

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:20 pm

Montevillian wrote:Basically? You've got no chance. I mean that nicely, but you should know that LSAT score is ridiculously low for any T14, especially CCN. If you're dead set on CCN, you're going to have to retake.

Well, everyone was telling me there is no way I'm getting into any T14 school, and I got into one so far. Another guy with stats IDENTICAL to mine got in to U Mich ED.
So, i think there is some hope, but don't know how much hope I should have

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:23 pm

masterthearts wrote:
Montevillian wrote:Basically? You've got no chance. I mean that nicely, but you should know that LSAT score is ridiculously low for any T14, especially CCN. If you're dead set on CCN, you're going to have to retake.

Well, everyone was telling me there is no way I'm getting into any T14 school, and I got into one so far. Another guy with stats IDENTICAL to mine got in to U Mich ED.

Not much. Seriously man, retake.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:48 pm

OP is hispanic, so that makes his chances better and so was the guy who got into Michigan with a 3.8/163. However, your chances are not good. You got into like 4 reaches already, be grateful and don't get greedy, go to Georgetown and enjoy it, alot of people from our background won't get that opportunity so take advantage.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:24 am

SupraVln180 wrote:OP is hispanic, so that makes his chances better and so was the guy who got into Michigan with a 3.8/163. However, your chances are not good. You got into like 4 reaches already, be grateful and don't get greedy, go to Georgetown and enjoy it, alot of people from our background won't get that opportunity so take advantage.

A lot of people from all backgrounds don't get that opportunity so I don't get what exactly that means anyways.

serdog

Postby serdog » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:43 am

FiveSermon wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:OP is hispanic, so that makes his chances better and so was the guy who got into Michigan with a 3.8/163. However, your chances are not good. You got into like 4 reaches already, be grateful and don't get greedy, go to Georgetown and enjoy it, alot of people from our background won't get that opportunity so take advantage.

A lot of people from all backgrounds don't get that opportunity so I don't get what exactly that means anyways.

He means hispanic don't get the boast that other URM do I think?

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:38 am

serdog wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:

Neither do Jews/Asians/Indians/Middle Eastern/Gypsies and probably a few other minorities that I forgot to mention. It's not that big a deal. And non Mexican/PR Hispanics do get a boost...it's just more random and harder to predict.

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:48 am

Moral_Midgetry wrote:You scored in the retake percentile.

Apparently with your softs and sick GPA, HYS could be an option with a good retake score.

^i laughed

OP- study your ass off for the june test. if you rock that test, apply september 1st to schools #'d 1-10 FTW.

If you don't do so hot on the june test, you can go to school in the fall at one of the places where you've already been accepted.

you're in a win, super win situation.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:52 am

FiveSermon wrote:

Exactly. Enough of this URM nonsense. My mother died when I was 3 and my father raised 4 kids by himself. He remained working and never even considered asking for government aid. But we did not struggle because we are white? BS

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:00 am

well-hello-there wrote:
Moral_Midgetry wrote:You scored in the retake percentile.

^i laughed

OP- study your ass off for the june test. if you rock that test, apply september 1st to schools #'d 1-10 FTW.

If you don't do so hot on the june test, you can go to school in the fall at one of the places where you've already been accepted.

WOW..what a great idea! I'll just need to figure out how much I lose in a deposit/up front money, but don't think it's much. Awesome idea

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:30 am

FiveSermon wrote:
serdog wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:

Neither do Jews/Asians/Indians/Middle Eastern/Gypsies and probably a few other minorities that I forgot to mention. It's not that big a deal. And non Mexican/PR Hispanics do get a boost...it's just more random and harder to predict.

How come I don't get a boost?

bosox777

Postby bosox777 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:46 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:

Exactly. Enough of this URM nonsense. My mother died when I was 3 and my father raised 4 kids by himself. He remained working and never even considered asking for government aid. But we did not struggle because we are white? BS

I don't want to get into a discussion on affirmative action, especially because my opinions on it aren't totally formed, but it isn't about individuals, its about the larger pattern. There are plenty of black people in a higher socioeconomic place than you and the average white person, but by and large black people are much worse off, for a lot of reasons, many institutional. It isn't about you or some random hispanic dude on the internet.

ATR

Postby ATR » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:35 pm

Be grateful that you got GT, GW, BU, Vanderbilt, and Minnesota with a 162 and without being a URM.

AfroThunder1212

Postby AfroThunder1212 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:50 pm

bosox777 wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:

I don't want to get into a discussion on affirmative action, especially because my opinions on it aren't totally formed, but it isn't about individuals, its about the larger pattern. There are plenty of black people in a higher socioeconomic place than you and the average white person, but by and large black people are much worse off, for a lot of reasons, many institutional. It isn't about you or some random hispanic dude on the internet.

From what I gather, it has very little to do with trying to compensate for an applicant's possible lower socioeconomic standing and much more to do with schools trying to create a more diverse educational environment. The 'URM boost' is not necessarily given because the schools assume that URM applicants endured adverse conditions, but rather to ensure their entering class contains at least a sampling of individuals from as many different backgrounds as possible. Unfortunately, certain demographic groups do not perform nearly as well on the LSAT. This means that the schools face a choice, maintain a commitment to providing their students with a diverse environment or maintain a commitment to rigid admissions standards.

kelesands

Postby kelesands » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:45 pm

well-hello-there wrote:OP- study your ass off for the june test. if you rock that test, apply september 1st to schools #'d 1-10 FTW.

I think this is awesome advice. No matter what anyone says on this forum, we can never know what will happen with your application. Getting into GT is huge! So congrats! But to be fair the likelihood of your score getting you into NYU as is (this late in the cycle esp!) isn't good. So the only thing to lose by re-taking the LSAT is the sleep you miss waiting for your score. Might as well try and see what happens, but either way you've already accomplished greatness!
Last edited by kelesands on Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:52 pm

masterthearts wrote:

You've posted your "Cinderella story" a million times in a million different places. The responses aren't going to change. You're extraordinarily lucky to have been accepted to those schools. That being said, if your attitude is CCN-or-bust, you will have to retake.

magicman554

Postby magicman554 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:56 pm

WTF is up with all of these Ivies that can't take a standardized test? Retake. You should be smart enough to not even have to ask.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:58 pm

you will not get into any of those schools with said LSAT score

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:04 pm

Retaking and going to a better school than GULC isn't being greedy/ungrateful, it's being fucking smart.

I hate the whole "well not many people get to do that so you should do it" mentality. We're spending $200k here, let's not be stupid.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:10 pm

bk1 wrote:

Retaking and going to a better school than GULC isn't being greedy/ungrateful, it's being fucking smart.

I hate the whole "well not many people get to do that so you should do it" mentality. We're spending $200k here, let's not be stupid.

I'm saying he should be grateful he got in with those numbers, not necessarily he should be grateful in general, although he should. Regardless, it is highly unlikely he is getting into any higher ranked schools with his current numbers. OP just wants everyone to know his successful cycle by posting it a million times, I doubt he will retake, although he has to if he wants CCN.

Return to “What are my chances?”