167, 3.85 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Grizz

Diamond

Re: 167, 3.85

Post by Grizz » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:08 pm

romothesavior wrote:
kelesands wrote: i don't even care about scholarships,
You should. These are famous last words for law students, especially outside the T10 or so.
Also this. Unless you're very wealthy, this is asinine.

giddybiscuit

New

Post by giddybiscuit » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:10 pm

We have similar numbers (I was 1st score 157, now 166/3.85) so you'll probably get into the schools I got into:

William & Mary ($13k/yr)
Illinois ($20k/yr)
Boston College
UC Hastings
Wisconsin

and that's only so far! I would go for the lower half of the T14 and some below that too.

kelesands

New

Post by kelesands » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:26 pm

Clearly I regret my scholarship comment. I was only trying to suggest that I don't anticipate life-changing offers being a borderline applicant as it is.
giddybiscuit wrote:We have similar numbers (I was 1st score 157, now 166/3.85) so you'll probably get into the schools I got into:

William & Mary ($13k/yr)
Illinois ($20k/yr)
Boston College
UC Hastings
Wisconsin

and that's only so far! I would go for the lower half of the T14 and some below that too.
Wow congrats on your acceptances so far! I hope I can enjoy the same great news :-) Good to know you got into BC.
rad law wrote:UF is more prestigious, but stay away from FL schools if you can. The best way to get prestigious employment in FL now, the way the market is, it to go to Emory/Vandy/Duke/UVA etc. and have ties. Even BC/BU would be better.
I completely agree. I'm ready to move to a different region of the US and, regardless of this, I think an education from FL would really limit my employment prospects even within the state.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:13 pm

kelesands wrote:I completely agree. I'm ready to move to a different region of the US
Be prepared for an uphill battle. It is hard to set up roots thousands of miles from your hometown, especially at a non-dominant school.

I would recommend applying to Illinois. You would likely get good scholarship money and they have decent job prospects. If you do well, you can end up out of the Midwest. Plus, you could join fellow Floridian Barbie.

Good luck OP.

uci2013

Bronze

Post by uci2013 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:25 pm

kelesands wrote:
aesis wrote:Berkeley will depend on your writing. Your softs are solid and right up their alley. Hoping your essays were good ...

I say IN at UCLA, USC, UCI, BC, BU. GTown maybe.

If you strike out I'd just reapply with a super super super polished PS, DS, Why X's. With that GPA it's hard to imagine you'd get rejected at UCLA with those softs. Just my opinion.
Thanks for the reassurance! I think re-applying will be a good idea if I end up disappointed with the results of this application cycle. It's good to know I have a shot at Berkeley, though :-)

UCI2013, do you have any other useful info to add re UCI? How do you feel about the school so far?
VIP appears to be one of my classmates as well. So be sure to get their input as well. Overall I am very happy here and with my decision. Is it perfect? - no. There are sometimes growing pains. But for me it is the right choice. The school is small and after going to a large public UG, I really appreciate that. I love getting to do pro bono work from my 1st semester - but it also wasn't overly pushed 1st semester, so no guilt if you want to focus on the academics. I love the responsiveness of the administration and of the Dean. It is great to be able to have a voice in changing things. We are hiring some great faculty for next year. And I've been very happy with the interviews for summer jobs I've gotten so far (I applied to a lot of long shots and have gotten some bites where I wouldn't have expected them - not SA work - I am not applying for that - but competitive government programs). Also graduate housing if you have a family is great - that may apply to some people. But in general, if you are placed in the school owned housing, its an amazing deal.

I like that we will actually be doing some transactional activities for lawyering skills towards the end of the semester (contracts and the like). A lot of schools just do briefs and memos and maybe letters or motions.

Grades come out tonight so it is good I am answering you now because my opinions could change :-).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

uci2013

Bronze

Post by uci2013 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:27 pm

kelesands wrote:
aesis wrote:Berkeley will depend on your writing. Your softs are solid and right up their alley. Hoping your essays were good ...

I say IN at UCLA, USC, UCI, BC, BU. GTown maybe.

If you strike out I'd just reapply with a super super super polished PS, DS, Why X's. With that GPA it's hard to imagine you'd get rejected at UCLA with those softs. Just my opinion.
Thanks for the reassurance! I think re-applying will be a good idea if I end up disappointed with the results of this application cycle. It's good to know I have a shot at Berkeley, though :-)

UCI2013, do you have any other useful info to add re UCI? How do you feel about the school so far?
BTW there is a thread here as well regarding UCI: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=137197

kelesands

New

Post by kelesands » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:05 pm

Just thought I'd update and say...I was admitted to UCI on Friday :) :) :)

uci2013

Bronze

Post by uci2013 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:23 pm

kelesands wrote:Just thought I'd update and say...I was admitted to UCI on Friday :) :) :)
Yay!!! Congrats!! Hope we see you in the fall :-D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”