167, 3.85

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
kelesands

167, 3.85

Postby kelesands » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:43 pm

first test score 161, 167 on the second
3.85 triple major, dual degree (BS and BA)
great softs including captain on squad and 168 hours service at public defender's office, received an undergraduate humanitarian award as a result

dream school: berkeley
UC Irvine
UCLA
USC Gould School of Law
Georgetown
Boston College, Boston U
IN already at Florida State University

coming from FL, i don't even care about scholarships, i just want in. USC invited me to apply for the rothman, which i did, but i still haven't heard about my admission status.

thoughts please? LSN only goes so far in my case with good softs, but a low initial LSAT. i have a feeling they won't average because of the large jump, but who knows.

thanks in advance for all your help, it's killing me how long i've been UR with no decisions yet. (berkeley since 12/13, the others mainly 1/4)
Last edited by kelesands on Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kelesands

Re: 167, 3.85

Postby kelesands » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:57 pm

any opinions you guys are willing to give would be really appreciated

matvei

Postby matvei » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:54 pm

kelesands wrote:first test score 161, 167 on the second
3.85 triple major, dual degree (BS and BA)
great softs including captain on squad and 168 hours service at public defender's office, received an undergraduate humanitarian award as a result

UC Irvine
UCLA
UC Irvine
Georgetown
Boston College, Boston U

coming from FL, i don't even care about scholarships, i just want in. USC invited me to apply for the rothman, which i did, but i still haven't heard about my admission status.

thoughts please? LSN only goes so far in my case with good softs, but a low initial LSAT. i have a feeling they won't average because of the large jump, but who knows.

thanks in advance for all your help, it's killing me how long i've been UR with no decisions yet. (berkeley since 12/13, the others mainly 1/4)

Def in at BU, BC, UCI I'd say

Berkeley might be a 50/50, but you did get in in before the new year, so that will be a plus. But a 167 is their median, and you're a tad above the median I believe.

UCLA a little better of a shot than at Berkeley, pretty good LSAT for them and near 75th percentile GPA

GT might be out b/c of that LSAT score, but I don't know.

And do they only give admits an invite to apply for the Rothman? I thought.

You may have wanted to write an addendum too, for the 2 LSAT's

ATR

Postby ATR » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:11 pm

If you want Berkeley, make sure to use all four pages of their personal statement section. Also try to tailor your application specifically to them - i.e., recommendations specifically about Berkeley, etc. You have good enough numbers based on their medians from last year's cycle, but you need to submit a good application in order to have a good chance at admission IMO.

kelesands

Postby kelesands » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:46 pm

@matvei
I haven't heard from the Boston schools, but I'm hoping they wouldn't ding me. I have family up there that would be nice to be around, along with the great schools. But California is definitely the goal.
Thanks for the reassurance on Berkeley, I was nervous about how late I'd applied. UCLA would be a great land as well, but coming from out of state was my biggest concern.
I would assume you're right about the Rothman, but I read on one of these forums that in previous years a very small few eventually weren't admitted despite the invite. I'm banking on not being that case, though!! :)
GT might as well ding me because I no longer have an interest in going there, despite what a great school GT is...I'm really sold on moving west.

I almost wrote an addendum about the LSATs but thought it might be unwise to bring up negative things in my application when in reality it just shows an ability to improve.
(this may not be what they're thinking though...)

@ATR
I originally sent a two page essay, but sent in an additional why Berkeley statement that I'm hoping will show them that they are my NUMERO UNO. I agree that my numbers are good enough, but I need to convince them with a really tailored application. I'm thinking that if this round isn't enough, and UCLA, USC, and UCI aren't working out how I'd expected, that I'll just move on out to CA, get residency, and re-apply. I'd show my dedication and would know more about the school by then, hopefully visit with some professors,etc. You think this could convince Berkeley to let me in next cycle? By that time I might even consider daring to apply at Stanford for the hell of it. I'm related to an alum.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:49 pm

Is there a reason you mentioned UC Irvine twice? Did you mean to add another UC?

kelesands

Postby kelesands » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:50 pm

Btw, thanks to both of you for your input!! I really appreciate you taking time to look over my stats :) At this point, playing guessing games is the only thing getting me through the wait!

kelesands

Postby kelesands » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:51 pm

I think I see "UCLA, USC, and UCI" that being UCLA, University of Southern Cal Gould Law, and UC Irvine

akili

Postby akili » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:56 pm

kelesands wrote:
UC Irvine
UCLA
UC Irvine
Georgetown
Boston College, Boston U

Just a heads up.

kelesands

Postby kelesands » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:57 pm

oh snap, thanks

akili

Postby akili » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:58 pm

kelesands wrote:oh snap, thanks

Hehe no biggy! UC Irvine IS pretty great :)

kelesands

Postby kelesands » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:59 pm

think odds there are good? the idea of being a part of UCI is soooo appealing. it would make a rejection from berkeley MUCH easier to bear

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:53 am

Akili, I want to see pics of the real dog.

matvei

Postby matvei » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:36 am

NorCalBruin wrote:Akili, I want to see pics of the real dog.

You do, trust me. soo cyoot.

matvei

Postby matvei » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:44 am

kelesands wrote:@matvei
I haven't heard from the Boston schools, but I'm hoping they wouldn't ding me. I have family up there that would be nice to be around, along with the great schools. But California is definitely the goal.
Thanks for the reassurance on Berkeley, I was nervous about how late I'd applied. UCLA would be a great land as well, but coming from out of state was my biggest concern.
I would assume you're right about the Rothman, but I read on one of these forums that in previous years a very small few eventually weren't admitted despite the invite. I'm banking on not being that case, though!! :)
GT might as well ding me because I no longer have an interest in going there, despite what a great school GT is...I'm really sold on moving west.

I almost wrote an addendum about the LSATs but thought it might be unwise to bring up negative things in my application when in reality it just shows an ability to improve.
(this may not be what they're thinking though...)

@ATR
I originally sent a two page essay, but sent in an additional why Berkeley statement that I'm hoping will show them that they are my NUMERO UNO. I agree that my numbers are good enough, but I need to convince them with a really tailored application. I'm thinking that if this round isn't enough, and UCLA, USC, and UCI aren't working out how I'd expected, that I'll just move on out to CA, get residency, and re-apply. I'd show my dedication and would know more about the school by then, hopefully visit with some professors,etc. You think this could convince Berkeley to let me in next cycle? By that time I might even consider daring to apply at Stanford for the hell of it. I'm related to an alum.

Honestly, the residency won't help with the application. It will help you with the tuition, but COL out here is ridic. Work Experience will definitely help you too. But if it doesn't work out, tailor your Boalt app really well, get some WE, enhance your resume and apply earlier. I DO think you need an LSAT addendum. Something to the extent of "my second score is more indicative of my potential as a law student" but it IS way higher than your original LSAT, so maybe I am wrong. I plan to write an addendem when (more like if... lol cocky much?) I get a better LSAT score in June.

Nonetheless, good luck to you. I hope you get Berk and all your wildest dreams. :)

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:17 am

kelesands wrote: i don't even care about scholarships,

You should. These are famous last words for law students, especially outside the T10 or so.

kelesands wrote:the idea of being a part of UCI is soooo appealing.

I strongly recommend against UCI. Their OCI was not good this year, they have no alumni base, they are located in a horribly oversaturated state, and the only major benefit of going there was huge scholarships, which are decreasing year by year.

You are probably on the border for schools like BU and BC, but you are likely out at Berk, UCLA, USC, and GULC. I'd throw in some more applications to T20-30 ranked schools and shoot for scholarship money. And why did you apply to FSU and not UF? By all accounts, UF is the best school in the state.

aesis

Postby aesis » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:33 am

Berkeley will depend on your writing. Your softs are solid and right up their alley. Hoping your essays were good ...

I say IN at UCLA, USC, UCI, BC, BU. GTown maybe.

If you strike out I'd just reapply with a super super super polished PS, DS, Why X's. With that GPA it's hard to imagine you'd get rejected at UCLA with those softs. Just my opinion.

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:43 am

romothesavior wrote:

You should. These are famous last words for law students, especially outside the T10 or so.

kelesands wrote:the idea of being a part of UCI is soooo appealing.

I strongly recommend against UCI. Their OCI was not good this year, they have no alumni base, they are located in a horribly oversaturated state, and the only major benefit of going there was huge scholarships, which are decreasing year by year.

You are probably on the border for schools like BU and BC, but you are likely out at Berk, UCLA, USC, and GULC. I'd throw in some more applications to T20-30 ranked schools and shoot for scholarship money. And why did you apply to FSU and not UF? By all accounts, UF is the best school in the state.

Um - where are you getting that OCI wasn't good at Irvine this year. It was actually pretty good. Most students who wanted firm jobs got them. 32 of the 42 students who participated in OCI were given offers. That means have the class landed firm gigs. The big law firms were primarily interested in the top of the class but that is to be expected, and those at the top of the class were extended multiple offers. You can see more here: http://www.ocbj.com/news/2011/jan/23/br ... ral-class/

Also, the Public Defender's office here in OC is pretty amazing IMO. Seems like a great place to intern or eventually work.

kelesands

Postby kelesands » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:57 am

romothesavior wrote:

I was more just trying to emphasize my desire to be admitted, but scholarships are always important...and appreciated!

I 100% disagree with your comment regarding FSU versus UF, they're essentially of the same caliber. It just depends what kind of law you're interested in. Also, I'm planted in Tally, so if I were to stay in FL FSU is where I'd stay.
I haven't heard from BU or BC, but would I really be considered "on the border" for those schools? I guess time will tell.

I'm not sure how to feel about UCI. Certainly what they're trying to accomplish is inspiring and exciting, but of course I want employment. To deny that the scholarship is inticing would be ridiculous and I don't expect other schools to offer me more...so thinking along those lines+the promise of a new institution is what gets me excited to be a part of their school.

ViP

Postby ViP » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:21 am

kelesands wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I was more just trying to emphasize my desire to be admitted, but scholarships are always important...and appreciated!

I 100% disagree with your comment regarding FSU versus UF, they're essentially of the same caliber. It just depends what kind of law you're interested in. Also, I'm planted in Tally, so if I were to stay in FL FSU is where I'd stay.
I haven't heard from BU or BC, but would I really be considered "on the border" for those schools? I guess time will tell.

I'm not sure how to feel about UCI. Certainly what they're trying to accomplish is inspiring and exciting, but of course I want employment. To deny that the scholarship is inticing would be ridiculous and I don't expect other schools to offer me more...so thinking along those lines+the promise of a new institution is what gets me excited to be a part of their school.

Please, please, please don't be fooled by TLSers who think they know about UCI but really know nothing at all. You have reason to be excited by the prospect of attending UCI. I strongly suggest you visit the school, speak with with Dean, and speak with the students about what the program has to offer.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:31 am

kelesands wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I think you'll get in at BU/BC but it will be close to sticker price.

As far as UF, I admit I'm no expert on the Florida markets. I just get my information from the many friends (both on TLS and IRL) who are from Florida, and I think all of them would agree that UF is the superior school. The difference may not be huge, but from all accounts, there is a difference.

And yes, the scholarship to UCI is enticing, but its not like they are giving out full scholarships to everyone anymore like they were when they started. You're still looking at 1) an expensive degree, 2) in an area where you are not from (you said you're from Florida right?), 3) that has no alumni base, and 4) does not have a particularly strong OCI. With all due respect to ViP, going to talk to the dean or visiting the school won't change any of these things. Loving the school you go to is important, but it doesn't trump job prospects. I'd go to school in a cardboard box that was run by the Wicked Witch of the West if it meant a job at graduation.

kelesands

Postby kelesands » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:55 am

aesis wrote:Berkeley will depend on your writing. Your softs are solid and right up their alley. Hoping your essays were good ...

I say IN at UCLA, USC, UCI, BC, BU. GTown maybe.

If you strike out I'd just reapply with a super super super polished PS, DS, Why X's. With that GPA it's hard to imagine you'd get rejected at UCLA with those softs. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the reassurance! I think re-applying will be a good idea if I end up disappointed with the results of this application cycle. It's good to know I have a shot at Berkeley, though :-)

UCI2013, do you have any other useful info to add re UCI? How do you feel about the school so far?

kelesands

Postby kelesands » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:01 pm

romothesavior wrote:I think you'll get in at BU/BC but it will be close to sticker price.

As far as UF, I admit I'm no expert on the Florida markets. I just get my information from the many friends (both on TLS and IRL) who are from Florida, and I think all of them would agree that UF is the superior school. The difference may not be huge, but from all accounts, there is a difference.

And yes, the scholarship to UCI is enticing, but its not like they are giving out full scholarships to everyone anymore like they were when they started. You're still looking at 1) an expensive degree, 2) in an area where you are not from (you said you're from Florida right?), 3) that has no alumni base, and 4) does not have a particularly strong OCI. With all due respect to ViP, going to talk to the dean or visiting the school won't change any of these things. Loving the school you go to is important, but it doesn't trump job prospects. I'd go to school in a cardboard box that was run by the Wicked Witch of the West if it meant a job at graduation.

Hmm, I think your points re UCI are valid, practically speaking, but I have a different approach on how to decide which LS to attend. I believe (perhaps naively) that if I AM in love with the school I go to, I'll do better, have a better chance of being at the top of my class, and end up succeeding at finding employment. But, taking your comments into account, if I do seriously consider UCI I will definitely research employment prospects more in depth.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:03 pm

UF is more prestigious, but stay away from FL schools if you can. The best way to get prestigious employment in FL now, the way the market is, it to go to Emory/Vandy/Duke/UVA etc. and have ties. Even BC/BU would be better.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:07 pm

romothesavior wrote:And yes, the scholarship to UCI is enticing, but its not like they are giving out full scholarships to everyone anymore like they were when they started. You're still looking at 1) an expensive degree, 2) in an area where you are not from (you said you're from Florida right?), 3) that has no alumni base, and 4) does not have a particularly strong OCI. With all due respect to ViP, going to talk to the dean or visiting the school won't change any of these things. Loving the school you go to is important, but it doesn't trump job prospects. I'd go to school in a cardboard box that was run by the Wicked Witch of the West if it meant a job at graduation.

This.

Return to “What are my chances?”