How do you think my chances look?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
SLU-Monster

How do you think my chances look?

Postby SLU-Monster » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:36 am

Hello, I am a second semester freshman at Saint Louis University. I've recently decided that I want to go to law school, and I like to aim high, very high. I want to go to Harvard Law. I know how daunting the task is, I know the 11% acceptance rate of 2010-2011, and I very well understand that many people are admitted with far more outstanding academic records than mine. However, I feel that planning to get into Harvard, working to get into Harvard, and doing everything possible to be accepted, is nothing short of a good idea. If I don't get in, then I simply go to a lower ranked school; I am shooting for the top, though.

In high school my GPA was moderate. I have never been in the top of my class, I have never recieved an award due to outstanding academic merit. I am very intelligent, but I have also been very ignorant. I knew where I wanted to go for undergrad, so I worked hard enough to get in. I've gotten in, I have a wonderful merit scholarship, and I am happy with my choice.

Upon making the decision about Harvard, I realized that I am already years behind my competition.

I excel in areas relating to law, politics, history, language, logic, and reason. I scored a 1200 my freshman year of high school on a PSAT (I am aware that this is nothing to write home about) and I scored a 32 on the ACT with minimal studying. I can write, I am articulate, and I can out argue anyone. None of this matters, though, when combined with my GPA. In my first semester here at SLU, I have earned a mere 3.11 GPA. This is the fault of no one other than myself, and I wish to do everything in my power to combat the highest possible GPA I can now earn, a 3.7775. I would greatly appreciate the help of anyone willing who has knowledge of either the admissions process, or the statistical chances that I have.

SLU-Monster

Re: How do you think my chances look?

Postby SLU-Monster » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:38 am

By the way, this is not a flame. I have learned that it is necessary to try and inform people of this.

subtle

Postby subtle » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:39 am

Uhm, work your ass off, pull up your GPA, ace the LSAT. Then we'll talk. Look at the ranges for Harvard and aim for those. Then, when you're in your senior year, let's talk again. Just stay focused. But as of now, your chances are irrelevant. So much can change.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:39 am

why do people post chances threads with no lsat score?

SLU-Monster

Postby SLU-Monster » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:42 am

subtle wrote:Uhm, work your ass off, pull up your GPA, ace the LSAT. Then we'll talk. Look at the ranges for Harvard and aim for those. Then, when you're in your senior year, let's talk again. Just stay focused. But as of now, your chances are irrelevant. So much can change.

Thank you for that. I'm basically just looking for any advice that I can get about getting in. I know all the statisics, and therefore am in no way confident in my GPA, so I just want to keep getting advice thrown at me regarding anything additional that can be done. This is mostly just coming out of nerves, because I know the statistical probabilities, however, there is always that human element to admissions.

SLU-Monster

Postby SLU-Monster » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:44 am

dr123 wrote:why do people post chances threads with no lsat score?

I know that it really makes little sense to post without an LSAT score, but I know myself and I can conservatively put myself on a 175 with a large amount of work. I'm sorry for not having a score ready, but that is why I included the ACT score, to see if there is a correlation between the two.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:47 am

SLU-Monster wrote:
dr123 wrote:why do people post chances threads with no lsat score?

I know that it really makes little sense to post without an LSAT score, but I know myself and I can conservatively put myself on a 175 with a large amount of work. I'm sorry for not having a score ready, but that is why I included the ACT score, to see if there is a correlation between the two.

dude a 175 is a 99+ percentile, very few people score that high on the lsat

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:47 am

SLU-Monster wrote:
subtle wrote:Uhm, work your ass off, pull up your GPA, ace the LSAT. Then we'll talk. Look at the ranges for Harvard and aim for those. Then, when you're in your senior year, let's talk again. Just stay focused. But as of now, your chances are irrelevant. So much can change.

Thank you for that. I'm basically just looking for any advice that I can get about getting in. I know all the statisics, and therefore am in no way confident in my GPA, so I just want to keep getting advice thrown at me regarding anything additional that can be done. This is mostly just coming out of nerves, because I know the statistical probabilities, however, there is always that human element to admissions.

Harvard is very numbers driven. Get a 3.77 and try to get a 175+. If you get below a 3.7 or if you can't get into at least the mid-170's, Harvard is not likely to happen unless URM.

SLU-Monster wrote:I know that it really makes little sense to post without an LSAT score, but I know myself and I can conservatively put myself on a 175 with a large amount of work. I'm sorry for not having a score ready, but that is why I included the ACT score, to see if there is a correlation between the two.

Predicting a 175 is bold unless you have taken a practice test and scored in the 160s (preferably mid-160s or higher) cold.

TheTallOne0602

Postby TheTallOne0602 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:48 am

If you are aiming for the top you are aiming for Yale, FYI.

But anyway, umm, yeah, get good grades, don't be arrogant about your own intelligence (because if you are, your grades will suffer), don't worry about the LSAT in any specific way yet, but definitely make sure you read, and read a lot. I don't mean just for school, either.

And also, do stuff. Join clubs, volunteer, show leadership potential, blah blah blah. Just do things you are passionate about and do them well; don't worry how it looks.

Also, try for fellowships and awards. You might not have the stuff for a Rhodes (almsot no one does) but there are plenty of other less prestigious yet still worthwhile scholarships/awards/fellowships, etc.

Other than that: good luck.

Postby 20121109 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:51 am

SLU-Monster wrote:Hello, I am a second semester freshman at Saint Louis University. I've recently decided that I want to go to law school, and I like to aim high, very high. I want to go to Harvard Law. I know how daunting the task is, I know the 11% acceptance rate of 2010-2011, and I very well understand that many people are admitted with far more outstanding academic records than mine. However, I feel that planning to get into Harvard, working to get into Harvard, and doing everything possible to be accepted, is nothing short of a good idea. If I don't get in, then I simply go to a lower ranked school; I am shooting for the top, though.

I had the same mentality. Now a 1L at H.

However, to be honest, a 3.77 for H is quite low. They only take lower GPAs from HYPS students. Just work hard, kill the LSAT and hope that they see something special in you.

I wish you the best! :)

MeechiganBoy

Postby MeechiganBoy » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:52 am

FIrst year college student here as well. I pulled a 3.76 my first semester. I'd like to go to any T14 if admitted but to be honest I have my eyes on a full ride at IUB if I can do well enough on the LSAT (not trying to sound cocky i just think it is within reach). If i were you I'd just work your ass for the next three years and then take the LSAT and see how you do. If you are serious about it, you might consider what i'm going to d and start getting acquainted with the LSAT after your sophomore year, then go hard with it the summer between your junior and senior year and ace that shit in september. But for now, hit the library and get that GPA up as high as you can while you can. GO BLUE

TheTallOne0602

Postby TheTallOne0602 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:54 am

And wait a second: how is a 3.77 the highest you could get? That doesn't make any sense at all. Even if you take the exact same number of credits every semester, you should be able to get higher than that. And you could, you know, take more credits on average than you took first semester, to help drag your GPA up, whether through summer classes, heavy regular semesters, whatnot.

KibblesAndVick

Postby KibblesAndVick » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:58 am

Who knows what the admission criteria will look like by the time you apply but just for shits and giggles let's say it stays more or less the same as it is now. You'll have to finish undergrad with a GPA above 3.7 to have a realistic shot at Harvard (I'm assuming you're not URM). You'll also need a near perfect LSAT score.

So basically never get anything below an A for the rest of college and learn how to outscore 99.9% of people who take the LSAT.

SLU-Monster

Postby SLU-Monster » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:59 am

TheTallOne0602 wrote:And wait a second: how is a 3.77 the highest you could get? That doesn't make any sense at all. Even if you take the exact same number of credits every semester, you should be able to get higher than that. And you could, you know, take more credits on average than you took first semester, to help drag your GPA up, whether through summer classes, heavy regular semesters, whatnot.

You are absolutely right. What I'm doing is lowballing my courseload. I am studying abroad for at least on semester in London, and I rationed only 12 hours for that semester. I am surely going to take more, but I want to be certain of the highest/low hour GPA I could muster. You are correct though that my GPA can be higher, I just haven't ran the numbers for a full courseload every semester, as well as nine hours each summer.

SLU-Monster

Postby SLU-Monster » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:01 am

MeechiganBoy wrote:FIrst year college student here as well. I pulled a 3.76 my first semester. I'd like to go to any T14 if admitted but to be honest I have my eyes on a full ride at IUB if I can do well enough on the LSAT (not trying to sound cocky i just think it is within reach). If i were you I'd just work your ass for the next three years and then take the LSAT and see how you do. If you are serious about it, you might consider what i'm going to d and start getting acquainted with the LSAT after your sophomore year, then go hard with it the summer between your junior and senior year and ace that shit in september. But for now, hit the library and get that GPA up as high as you can while you can. GO BLUE

That is exactly what I'm doing, although I've already started with the LSAT preperation.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:03 am

3.1 fucking suck son. Why aren't you getting decent grades? Worry about that before you worry about Harvard.

SLU-Monster

Postby SLU-Monster » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:04 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
SLU-Monster wrote:

Harvard is very numbers driven. Get a 3.77 and try to get a 175+. If you get below a 3.7 or if you can't get into at least the mid-170's, Harvard is not likely to happen unless URM.

SLU-Monster wrote:I know that it really makes little sense to post without an LSAT score, but I know myself and I can conservatively put myself on a 175 with a large amount of work. I'm sorry for not having a score ready, but that is why I included the ACT score, to see if there is a correlation between the two.

Predicting a 175 is bold unless you have taken a practice test and scored in the 160s (preferably mid-160s or higher) cold.

A 175 is more than bold, it is cocky and unrealistic. But I was told the same thing before I took the ACT and scored a 32. I mean no disrespect or insult to you, but I am confident in my abilities. I have already started practicing, and I will do very very well, simply becasue I cannot assume that my GPA will carry me.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:06 am

the lsat is significantly (emphasis significantly) harder than the act, saying youre going to get a 175 on the lsat is like saying you're going to buy a scratch ticket tomorrow and become a millionare

TheOcho

Postby TheOcho » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:08 am

Desert Fox wrote:3.1 fucking suck son. Why aren't you getting decent grades? Worry about that before you worry about Harvard.

And the LSAT. It also wouldn't hurt to cure cancer or something.

SLU-Monster

Postby SLU-Monster » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:08 am

Desert Fox wrote:3.1 fucking suck son. Why aren't you getting decent grades? Worry about that before you worry about Harvard.

3.1 is atrocious. It is not a problem of intellect, rather work ethic. I did not know what I really wanted to do after these four years, so I coasted. I did little to no work and aced my finals, bringing all my grades up. I was ignorant and basically failed myself. This current semester is a test to see if I even belong near a T14 school. I am smart enough to get a 4.0; a 3.1 is a disgrace and I am well aware of that. However, I know what I have to do and fully intend to do it. I appreciate your honesty, but frankly, I knew I had fed up at midterms, but had no way to improve them.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:10 am

I got a 32 ACT and a 176 LSAT.

SLU-Monster

Postby SLU-Monster » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:11 am

dr123 wrote:the lsat is significantly (emphasis significantly) harder than the act, saying youre going to get a 175 on the lsat is like saying you're going to buy a scratch ticket tomorrow and become a millionare

I am well aware of the difficulty, I've already taken a practice test. It is far from a cake walk, but more than doable. Comparing the LSAT to the lottery seems to be a bit of a stretch. The lottery is simply a game of luck, whereas a standardized test is one of skill, precision, and most importantly practice.

SLU-Monster

Postby SLU-Monster » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:12 am

Desert Fox wrote:I got a 32 ACT and a 176 LSAT.

And your GPA upon applying?

champsound

Postby champsound » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:14 am

My first semester was a flat 3.0 gpa. And now it's more than your supposed max (lsdas anyways). So I have no idea how you got to that idea.

As for the LSAT... 175 is pretty damn high. You might get your lsat that high or your gpa to the max, but that chances of both are very slim.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:14 am

SLU-Monster wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I got a 32 ACT and a 176 LSAT.

And your GPA upon applying?

2.8 landed me northwestern.

Return to “What are my chances?”