2.3/143

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: 2.3/143

Postby justadude55 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:54 pm

StillHerexxx wrote:I don't think a retake with a much better score will help that GPA at all. Become a nurse.

how much do nurses really make? i was on a date with a nurse in her early 20s who claimed she makes 80k/yr, and probably will be making 190 after she gets her masters. is this possible or was she just trying to show me she's independent?

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: 2.3/143

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:58 pm

justadude55 wrote:
StillHerexxx wrote:I don't think a retake with a much better score will help that GPA at all. Become a nurse.

how much do nurses really make? i was on a date with a nurse in her early 20s who claimed she makes 80k/yr, and probably will be making 190 after she gets her masters. is this possible or was she just trying to show me she's independent?


Yeah, nursing is in demand - but with 4-years of education.. that would make her an NP. IIRC, they make around 80k/yr.. 190k is a stretch with a masters since PA's make substantially less than that figure.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: 2.3/143

Postby General Tso » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:02 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
justadude55 wrote:
StillHerexxx wrote:I don't think a retake with a much better score will help that GPA at all. Become a nurse.

how much do nurses really make? i was on a date with a nurse in her early 20s who claimed she makes 80k/yr, and probably will be making 190 after she gets her masters. is this possible or was she just trying to show me she's independent?


Yeah, nursing is in demand - but with 4-years of education.. that would make her an NP. IIRC, they make around 80k/yr.. 190k is a stretch with a masters since PA's make substantially less than that figure.


it isn't easy to get into nursing right now. NYT article recently told of a NorCal nursing school that had ~100 grads and zero employed in 2009. In 2010 they had about 10 or 15 hires.

subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: 2.3/143

Postby subtle » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:06 pm

General Tso wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
justadude55 wrote:
StillHerexxx wrote:I don't think a retake with a much better score will help that GPA at all. Become a nurse.

how much do nurses really make? i was on a date with a nurse in her early 20s who claimed she makes 80k/yr, and probably will be making 190 after she gets her masters. is this possible or was she just trying to show me she's independent?


Yeah, nursing is in demand - but with 4-years of education.. that would make her an NP. IIRC, they make around 80k/yr.. 190k is a stretch with a masters since PA's make substantially less than that figure.


it isn't easy to get into nursing right now. NYT article recently told of a NorCal nursing school that had ~100 grads and zero employed in 2009. In 2010 they had about 10 or 15 hires.


My friend graduated from Michigan with a degree in Nursing and got a job right away. I don't know what she's making, but she at least has a job. Also, how much you make as a nurse depends on your specialization. I think you can make a ton of money as this one kind of nurse. It's similar to an anesthesiologist, but it's still a nurse.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: 2.3/143

Postby justadude55 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:14 pm

yeah she's employed. she claims she makes like 80 now...like 40/hour for 40 hrs per week.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: 2.3/143

Postby General Tso » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:15 pm

subtle wrote:
General Tso wrote:it isn't easy to get into nursing right now. NYT article recently told of a NorCal nursing school that had ~100 grads and zero employed in 2009. In 2010 they had about 10 or 15 hires.


My friend graduated from Michigan with a degree in Nursing and got a job right away. I don't know what she's making, but she at least has a job. Also, how much you make as a nurse depends on your specialization. I think you can make a ton of money as this one kind of nurse. It's similar to an anesthesiologist, but it's still a nurse.


people from Michigan law are getting good jobs too. I think it depends on geography a good deal as well. I was just pointing out that Nursing is not always an easy field to break into right now, as people on TLS often assume it to be.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: 2.3/143

Postby justadude55 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:18 pm

i just don't understand why they're paid that much. their job is important, but a lot of people can do it.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: 2.3/143

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:20 pm

General Tso wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
justadude55 wrote:
StillHerexxx wrote:I don't think a retake with a much better score will help that GPA at all. Become a nurse.

how much do nurses really make? i was on a date with a nurse in her early 20s who claimed she makes 80k/yr, and probably will be making 190 after she gets her masters. is this possible or was she just trying to show me she's independent?


Yeah, nursing is in demand - but with 4-years of education.. that would make her an NP. IIRC, they make around 80k/yr.. 190k is a stretch with a masters since PA's make substantially less than that figure.


it isn't easy to get into nursing right now. NYT article recently told of a NorCal nursing school that had ~100 grads and zero employed in 2009. In 2010 they had about 10 or 15 hires.

Lol nursing is so easy to get into. I don't know of a single unemployed nursing major from cc or regular college. The reason schools in manhatten and atlanta have bad placement ratings is because people won't move and there is a surplus in big cities. Move to a city like columbus with a four year nursing degree and a 55k job will fall into your lap.

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1920
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: 2.3/143

Postby Stringer Bell » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:26 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Lol nursing is so easy to get into. I don't know of a single unemployed nursing major from cc or regular college. The reason schools in manhatten and atlanta have bad placement ratings is because people won't move and there is a surplus in big cities. Move to a city like columbus with a four year nursing degree and a 55k job will fall into your lap.


This is true. If you are willing to relocate you can find a nursing job somewhere.

Also, OP is clearly a flame.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: 2.3/143

Postby justadude55 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:26 pm

that's not a bad deal. the nursing test is pretty ridiciulous, and 55k is a good amount of money for ohio.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: 2.3/143

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:31 pm

justadude55 wrote:that's not a bad deal. the nursing test is pretty ridiciulous, and 55k is a good amount of money for ohio.

My sister is making 72k in cincinnati at 25 with a degree from a shit school. But she us putting in ten to twenty hours of overtime.

User avatar
retake
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: 2.3/143

Postby retake » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:31 pm

Image

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1920
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: 2.3/143

Postby Stringer Bell » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:32 pm

justadude55 wrote:that's not a bad deal. the nursing test is pretty ridiciulous, and 55k is a good amount of money for ohio.


If someone really wants to make some cash in nursing, I think hospitals in Alaska pay something ridiculous like $150k. You have to sign a contract to work there for three years I believe (might be two).

subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: 2.3/143

Postby subtle » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:39 pm

justadude55 wrote:i just don't understand why they're paid that much. their job is important, but a lot of people can do it.



I think that's being a little unfair. Nursing can be demanding in different ways. I certainly am not cut out for it. I can barely handle the stories of Mom's little pride and joy Timmy who shoved lincoln logs up his butt and the poor nurse who had to reach up there to get them all out. (True story, by the way.)

Also, my friend who was going through nursing went through hell. It seems to me that nursing is a lot like having to know a lot of the same things as doctors, without the glory.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: 2.3/143

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:55 pm

subtle wrote:
justadude55 wrote:i just don't understand why they're paid that much. their job is important, but a lot of people can do it.



I think that's being a little unfair. Nursing can be demanding in different ways. I certainly am not cut out for it. I can barely handle the stories of Mom's little pride and joy Timmy who shoved lincoln logs up his butt and the poor nurse who had to reach up there to get them all out. (True story, by the way.)

Also, my friend who was going through nursing went through hell. It seems to me that nursing is a lot like having to know a lot of the same things as doctors, without the glory.


Now that's a bit unfair, too.

Sure nurses don't get the glory, but they don't have the level of responsibility that MD's have. Nor do they work the shifts that MD's constantly work. I believe most work 4 12-hour shifts at hourly rates >20USD. Obviously the figure goes up with training and specialization - which the master is needed for.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: 2.3/143

Postby General Tso » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:05 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
justadude55 wrote:that's not a bad deal. the nursing test is pretty ridiciulous, and 55k is a good amount of money for ohio.

My sister is making 72k in cincinnati at 25 with a degree from a shit school. But she us putting in ten to twenty hours of overtime.


how many years ago did she graduate? I know many people who were making ~50k straight out of community college but they all graduated 4-5 years ago.

my best friend's hospital laid off about 50 nurses recently, including him.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: 2.3/143

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:19 pm

General Tso wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
justadude55 wrote:that's not a bad deal. the nursing test is pretty ridiciulous, and 55k is a good amount of money for ohio.

My sister is making 72k in cincinnati at 25 with a degree from a shit school. But she us putting in ten to twenty hours of overtime.


how many years ago did she graduate? I know many people who were making ~50k straight out of community college but they all graduated 4-5 years ago.

my best friend's hospital laid off about 50 nurses recently, including him.


Jackson Memorial? :lol:

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: 2.3/143

Postby General Tso » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:23 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
General Tso wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
justadude55 wrote:that's not a bad deal. the nursing test is pretty ridiciulous, and 55k is a good amount of money for ohio.

My sister is making 72k in cincinnati at 25 with a degree from a shit school. But she us putting in ten to twenty hours of overtime.


how many years ago did she graduate? I know many people who were making ~50k straight out of community college but they all graduated 4-5 years ago.

my best friend's hospital laid off about 50 nurses recently, including him.


Jackson Memorial? :lol:


nope. it is in Hattiesburg. it's not due to a shortage of patients. between smoking and obesity, Mississippi has some of the sickest people in the nation.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: 2.3/143

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:30 pm

General Tso wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
justadude55 wrote:that's not a bad deal. the nursing test is pretty ridiciulous, and 55k is a good amount of money for ohio.

My sister is making 72k in cincinnati at 25 with a degree from a shit school. But she us putting in ten to twenty hours of overtime.


how many years ago did she graduate? I know many people who were making ~50k straight out of community college but they all graduated 4-5 years ago.

my best friend's hospital laid off about 50 nurses recently, including him.

Three. But my last two ex' were both nursing majors and one was an idiot and both have 55kish jobs lined up next year (both are seniors)

fuzzypeach
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:30 am

Re: 2.3/143

Postby fuzzypeach » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:53 am

Nursing is different everywhere you go!

Some places you will spend lots of time cleaning up diarrhea/throw up/other disgusting bodily fluids and other places you wont. You also have to deal with people and clean them and generally have more empathy than 90% of the population. My roommate is in a nursing program now and she regularly does stuff in clinicals that makes me want to throw up just hearing about it. And I was a lifeguard that dealt with blood and vomit on a semi regular basis(I worked in a /really/ rough area).

Job prospects here are bad, I live in a coastal town with 2 huge nursing programs. The nurses that do land jobs here don't get paid very much(maybe start out around 35k). Buuuuttttt other places it seems they do!

Oh yea, so original point of posting-nurses get paid a lot because they deal with disgusting things that no one would actually deal with unless they were getting paid a lot. They also have to know a lot, nursing is a lot harder than it seems. My roommate graduated cum laude with a health sciences degree that required her to take at least all the basic sciences(bio, chem, orgchem, physics, ect). She then went on to nursing school where she failed her first test ever and almost got kicked out of the program.

minuit
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:39 pm

Re: 2.3/143

Postby minuit » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:05 am

justadude55 wrote:
StillHerexxx wrote:I don't think a retake with a much better score will help that GPA at all. Become a nurse.

how much do nurses really make? i was on a date with a nurse in her early 20s who claimed she makes 80k/yr, and probably will be making 190 after she gets her masters. is this possible or was she just trying to show me she's independent?


If she gets her masters in anesthesia and works as a nurse anesthetist, then she could make 150k easily. I dunno about 190k, but at least 150k. My step-mom is a NA. It's really a good gig for a nurse - you get to be in the OR all day rather than the ER or out patient. Also, some hospitals allow NAs to run their own OR rooms and the MDs walk around and check in on the different rooms during surgery.

User avatar
megaTTTron
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Re: 2.3/143

Postby megaTTTron » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:20 pm

minuit wrote:
justadude55 wrote:
StillHerexxx wrote:I don't think a retake with a much better score will help that GPA at all. Become a nurse.

how much do nurses really make? i was on a date with a nurse in her early 20s who claimed she makes 80k/yr, and probably will be making 190 after she gets her masters. is this possible or was she just trying to show me she's independent?


If she gets her masters in anesthesia and works as a nurse anesthetist, then she could make 150k easily. I dunno about 190k, but at least 150k. My step-mom is a NA. It's really a good gig for a nurse - you get to be in the OR all day rather than the ER or out patient. Also, some hospitals allow NAs to run their own OR rooms and the MDs walk around and check in on the different rooms during surgery.


anesthesiology is where it's at.

lawbound2014
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:40 am

Re: 2.3/143

Postby lawbound2014 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:10 am

I live in New York and have numerous family members who are nurses. As far as I know the starting salary is roughly 65k, many nurses make over 100k with overtime and I am not talking about nurses with a masters degree.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: 2.3/143

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:18 am

ResolutePear wrote:
subtle wrote:
justadude55 wrote:i just don't understand why they're paid that much. their job is important, but a lot of people can do it.



I think that's being a little unfair. Nursing can be demanding in different ways. I certainly am not cut out for it. I can barely handle the stories of Mom's little pride and joy Timmy who shoved lincoln logs up his butt and the poor nurse who had to reach up there to get them all out. (True story, by the way.)

Also, my friend who was going through nursing went through hell. It seems to me that nursing is a lot like having to know a lot of the same things as doctors, without the glory.


Now that's a bit unfair, too.

Sure nurses don't get the glory, but they don't have the level of responsibility that MD's have. Nor do they work the shifts that MD's constantly work. I believe most work 4 12-hour shifts at hourly rates >20USD. Obviously the figure goes up with training and specialization - which the master is needed for.


Do they get the glory or responsibility of doctors? No. However, they are trained for a lot of shit and clearly COULD do more than their basic duties entail. I know a girl in a nursing program and she delivered a fucking baby the other day. Idk if I feel comfortable holding a baby much less delivering one.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: 2.3/143

Postby dr123 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:22 am

lawbound2014 wrote:I live in New York and have numerous family members who are nurses. As far as I know the starting salary is roughly 65k, many nurses make over 100k with overtime and I am not talking about nurses with a masters degree.


key word IN NEW YORK, nurses i know in my region, start at more like 35-40k




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Christinabruin, Google [Bot] and 2 guests