close please

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
rebexness

Re: 3.71/147.. retaking in feb.. ANY law school at all?

Postby rebexness » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:29 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

abc5667

Postby abc5667 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:36 pm

rebexness wrote:Eh, you can up a 147 pretty significantly if you try. My first LSAT was only slightly higher than yours and I bumped it up quite a bit with NO studying- and the second test was Dec with those awful logic games.

FINALLY SOME OPTIMISM. I plan on living and breathing LSATs the next 3 weeks.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:37 pm

So you only took a few PTs? That's your biggest mistake. I took at least 20, full-length and timed, and drilled sections from many more.

The LSAT is a test that you can learn (to some degree), with experience. Take as many as you can and drill it every day until you really "get" the test, and you'll start to know what's going to happen before it happens.

You must become the test. Yes...

ATR

Postby ATR » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:39 pm

Adjudicator wrote:So you only took a few PTs? That's your biggest mistake. I took at least 20, full-length and timed, and drilled sections from many more.

The LSAT is a test that you can learn (to some degree), with experience. Take as many as you can and drill it every day until you really "get" the test, and you'll start to know what's going to happen before it happens.

You must become the test. Yes...

I endorse everything here except the bolded, metaphysical bullshit.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:41 pm

Like everyone else says, retake.

Like everyone else says, don't go to a law school that you wouldn't want to graduate from.

abc5667

Postby abc5667 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:44 pm

Well I really want to graduate from UCLA. But gave up that dream after getting my score. Should I just study for the next cycle and try to apply there or should I just stick with a more attainable goal (georgia state) and possibly get in this fall if I do well on my Feb lsat?

ATR

Postby ATR » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:49 pm

abc5667 wrote:Well I really want to graduate from UCLA. But gave up that dream after getting my score. Should I just study for the next cycle and try to apply there or should I just stick with a more attainable goal (georgia state) and possibly get in this fall if I do well on my Feb lsat?

WAIT AND REAPPLY NEXT CYCLE.

MrSparkle

Postby MrSparkle » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:07 am

Your real question is, "Should I take a risk with my legal career or spend some more time mitigating that risk?"

ATR

Postby ATR » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:18 am

MrSparkle wrote:Your real question is, "Should I take a risk with my legal career or spend some more time mitigating that risk?"

The rationality of your posts does not mix well with your username/'tar.

Perhaps Spock would be a better choice.

MrSparkle

Postby MrSparkle » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:12 am

atresia wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:Your real question is, "Should I take a risk with my legal career or spend some more time mitigating that risk?"

The rationality of your posts does not mix well with your username/'tar.

Perhaps Spock would be a better choice.

It's because I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious? Out of my way, all of you. This is no place for loafers!
Join me or die! Can you do any less?

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:52 am

Lol at some guy trying to tell us he has a genius level iq in the same post where he says he has done mediocre to terrible on every standardized test he has taken, what a tool.

amorfati

Postby amorfati » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:17 am

First, don't mind all the sarcasm/ridicule... unfortunately it's a mainstay here on TLS. Some do mean well (despite their bluntness), others are just assholes... in any case, take it with a grain of salt.

But more importantly, please do not give up your UCLA dream! With that GPA, and with a certain amount of intelligence (which it seems, despite all the sarcasm, that you definitely do have), you are very much capable of attending a school in that range, maybe even higher.

I'll have to agree, though, that taking the test in February will not give you enough time to prepare. To be honest, I thought the same thing when I started - "I'm relatively smart, so I probably don't need as much time as everyone says." But please believe me: to master the skills necessary for logic games and to gain instinct about the LR/RC sections, there is absolutely nothing better than repeated exposure. And I really believe that it would be a waste for someone like yourself to attend a school ranked *that* much lower for the sake of getting there a year earlier.

Also, you mentioned that you studied on and off, but my question is: how did you study? I know you said you did 2-3 practice tests, but what kind of preparation had you done before that? If you haven't done it yet, you absolutely MUST do the Logic Games Bible (by Powerscore). Logic games are definitely the easiest to improve on, and It's been said that with sufficient practice (and a reasonable amount of intelligence, which again, I think you have), you should be able to do logical reasoning with 0-2 mistakes. In other words, if you're still making a lot of mistakes in this section, then please do not take the test yet!

Also, most recommend their Logical Reasoning Bible as well. I'd say it's worth going through once, but more importantly, you need to see a lot of these questions before you really start to gain an "instinct" for them. But once you see enough of them, you really will start to know instinctively which types of answers will be correct and which you can rule out immediately.

Finally, Powerscore also makes a Reading Comp Bible, but the verdict is still out on just how helpful that one is. One thing I would definitely recommend though, would be to check out the suggested study schedules on the LSAT Blog (lsatblog.blogspot.com). He has lots of other helpful articles, but the study schedules really do lay it out well.

Oh, and also, take the most recent tests you possibly can. The most recent ones (after 50) tend to be harder, and especially in the late 50's/early 60's there are some new question types and twists on old questions. If you're looking for extra logic games practice, then the earliest tests (1-20, even up to the mid to late 20's) have some pretty hard ones, but also contain some game types that are no longer in use (still, they're good practice)... the middle ones (30's and 40's) are too easy, but as long as you know that, they're also good for extra practice.

But anyway, now that I'm done re-typing all the TLS collective wisdom on LSAT preparation, I think I'll end my short novel here (before I'm late to work!)... but I wish you luck!

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:36 pm

I scored similar to you on my first try in october. I also had a similar study method because I had no clue what I was doing and had no advice. Listen to people on here, I raised my score 13 points in a month of studying for the december test. Also, I would suggest retaking in june. While I had big gains in a months time, they have me wondering if I should retake in june and actually have 3 to 5 months of uninterrupted studying, because my score is still not where I want it. You just have to be willing to put the work in and take some time off before you start law school. Too much is at stake to only give yourself 3 weeks to better yourself.

PHXMT

Postby PHXMT » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:52 pm

Last edited by PHXMT on Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:07 pm

^This is true. I went from getting -way too many, to only -3 on the december LSAT on logic games. Thats where my main growth was. Just make sure you focus on it all. I studied old tests for the reading comp and barely practiced because it is my strength. Suffice to say, I somehow bombed that part and it was the reason I didn't get a score I would be very happy with.

Make sure you focus on your weak points, but practice your strengths as well.

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:15 pm

FLAME.

Cannot believe this has not been called out yet.

abc5667

Postby abc5667 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:18 pm

amorfati wrote:First, don't mind all the sarcasm/ridicule... unfortunately it's a mainstay here on TLS. Some do mean well (despite their bluntness), others are just assholes... in any case, take it with a grain of salt.

But more importantly, please do not give up your UCLA dream! With that GPA, and with a certain amount of intelligence (which it seems, despite all the sarcasm, that you definitely do have), you are very much capable of attending a school in that range, maybe even higher.

I'll have to agree, though, that taking the test in February will not give you enough time to prepare. To be honest, I thought the same thing when I started - "I'm relatively smart, so I probably don't need as much time as everyone says." But please believe me: to master the skills necessary for logic games and to gain instinct about the LR/RC sections, there is absolutely nothing better than repeated exposure. And I really believe that it would be a waste for someone like yourself to attend a school ranked *that* much lower for the sake of getting there a year earlier.

Also, you mentioned that you studied on and off, but my question is: how did you study? I know you said you did 2-3 practice tests, but what kind of preparation had you done before that? If you haven't done it yet, you absolutely MUST do the Logic Games Bible (by Powerscore). Logic games are definitely the easiest to improve on, and It's been said that with sufficient practice (and a reasonable amount of intelligence, which again, I think you have), you should be able to do logical reasoning with 0-2 mistakes. In other words, if you're still making a lot of mistakes in this section, then please do not take the test yet!

Also, most recommend their Logical Reasoning Bible as well. I'd say it's worth going through once, but more importantly, you need to see a lot of these questions before you really start to gain an "instinct" for them. But once you see enough of them, you really will start to know instinctively which types of answers will be correct and which you can rule out immediately.

Finally, Powerscore also makes a Reading Comp Bible, but the verdict is still out on just how helpful that one is. One thing I would definitely recommend though, would be to check out the suggested study schedules on the LSAT Blog (lsatblog.blogspot.com). He has lots of other helpful articles, but the study schedules really do lay it out well.

Oh, and also, take the most recent tests you possibly can. The most recent ones (after 50) tend to be harder, and especially in the late 50's/early 60's there are some new question types and twists on old questions. If you're looking for extra logic games practice, then the earliest tests (1-20, even up to the mid to late 20's) have some pretty hard ones, but also contain some game types that are no longer in use (still, they're good practice)... the middle ones (30's and 40's) are too easy, but as long as you know that, they're also good for extra practice.

But anyway, now that I'm done re-typing all the TLS collective wisdom on LSAT preparation, I think I'll end my short novel here (before I'm late to work!)... but I wish you luck!

Hey thanks! Actually I know the mistake I made studying the first time. I pretty much just went through a few LSAT prep books (kaplan, etc) and did all the practice problems and practice tests in there. It's not that I didn't put in any hours (I put in alot actually but I don't think I put in as many as most people on here, it seems like). My main error, I discover now, is not getting the POWERSCORE books. I just received in the mail last night, and BOY WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!! I think I'll do much better this time with the Powerscore logic games and logical reasoning bible. It really opened my eyes to some approaches to mastering the LSAts. Thanks again for your helpful reply.

Return to “What are my chances?”