How does this affect my chances of getting in ls

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Dahlyn

How does this affect my chances of getting in ls

Postby Dahlyn » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:26 am

My ug from Pitt '99 and I have an MBA from Duquesne '01. My gpa in b school 10 years ago was 3.6 I started in the mortgage industry due to lack of jobs in the finance field after 9/11. I ended up owning a nationally licensed mortgage company(one of the few honest ones) but was regulated out of business by the states we received most of our business from. I work for while for a small financial planning firm I was in the process of buying but the deal fell through. I then worked for a sales consulting/training company. I left there to work for a start up currency trading fund. It ended up failing due to the partner who was in charge of running the business developing cancer and stepping away.

I have taken a several law related classes.

Advanced estate planning - Duq law - B+ - no idea what I was getting into...can't believe the let a MBA student take it
Contract Law - Duq B school - A, highest grade in class
Criminal procedure - Pitt ug - A
Constitional Law type class - Pitt ug - A

I am applying to Pitt and Duquesne. Does all/some of this not matter, help, or hurt my chances at getting into to Law school. I haven't taken my LSATs.

BlueDiamond

Re: How does this affect my chances of getting in ls

Postby BlueDiamond » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:28 am

take the LSAT.. that will be the biggest deciding factor with your undergrad gpa being the next biggest factor

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:30 am

LSAT and undergrad GPA ('UGPA') are by far the biggest determiners of acceptances and scholarships. Grad GPA isn't considered directly. However, your experience sounds like it is a considerable 'soft' which you can definitely use to your benefit. In general softs don't make a major difference, but if you headed a major company then it may give you a significant boost. I would focus on LSAT though.

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:32 am

I fell asleep halfway through reading your post....sorry.

But seriously, take your LSATs

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:34 am

BlueDiamond wrote:take the LSAT.. that will be the biggest deciding factor with your undergrad gpa being the next biggest factor

this. LSAT and GPA are what schools look at the most. Soft factors can contribute to admissions decisions, but you won't even know which schools to start shooting for until you've taken the LSAT.

jwrash

Postby jwrash » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:17 pm

LSATs

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:25 pm

Don't go to Pitt or whatever that other no name school is.

Return to “What are my chances?”