169/3.05 Chances at top 40? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
LttleBlakDress

Bronze

169/3.05 Chances at top 40?

Post by LttleBlakDress » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:40 pm

Hi guys,

Sorry to post one of these threads, but as I start getting in places, I'm trying to figure out where to bother visiting and it would be really helpful if someone could shed some light on what they think of my chances at the schools I've still yet to hear from. I went to undergraduate at a liberal arts school in the Northwest and unfortunately the academic advising office seems to only have information about schools in that region, none of which I am even considering.

My stats are 169/3.05 gpa. I worked through college, an increasing number of hours each year, from 10/wk my freshman year to 30/wk my senior year. I graduated early and will have 1.5 years WE when I enroll in the fall. I'm also doing a research internship for a non-profit I've been involved with for some time. I submitted an addendum about my grades where I discuss a learning disability I have overcome, and the classes I took that were challenging and not required. I was super active in a variety of things in college and spent my entire junior year abroad. I submitted almost all my applications Thanksgiving weekend.

Any insight about any remaining schools would be great.

I applied to (divided by region):

Hastings
USF
UCLA
USC

Vandy-Interviewed, think it went great.
Emory
Georgia
Duke
UVA
William and Mary
Tulane
Texas
BU

I've been accepted to
Alabama - 24000 a year
WUSTL
GW
Northeastern -8500 a year
American - in 1/21

Waitlisted at
Fordham-Just wrote LOCI to try and get off the waitlist bc I think their centers and being in Manhattan would be AMAZING.

Rejected by (not surprising...)
Boalt
Northwestern
Georgetown-1/21

Thank you so much! I know I am such a ridiculous splitter that it's hard to know anything, but any insight (particularly about$$$) would be fantastic!
Last edited by LttleBlakDress on Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TyrodTaylor

Bronze

Re: 169/3.05 Chances at top 40?

Post by TyrodTaylor » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:43 pm

fordham sticker, plus living in manhattan. Dont know if that would be great. 200 k debt

LttleBlakDress

Bronze

Post by LttleBlakDress » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:47 pm

TyrodTaylor wrote:fordham sticker, plus living in manhattan. Dont know if that would be great. 200 k debt
I'm certainly concerned about debt to a certain extent, but I don't have any loans from college, and I have some family members who have indicated that they are happy to help me with my loans to discourage me from going to Bama for the money, so I'm thinking it's worth seeing if I get in, particularly versus the other options I currently have.

Also, I definitely want to work in Northern California and I'm kind of worried no one has heard of WUSTL or Alabama here.

NYCbound35

Bronze

Post by NYCbound35 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:38 pm

I applied to (divided by region):

Hastings In/WL
USF In
UCLAOut
USCOut

Vandy-Interviewed, think it went great.Out
EmoryIn with $$ is what I hear
GeorgiaIn
DukeOut
UVAOut
William and MaryIn with $
TulaneIn
TexasOut

GeorgetownOut
AmericanIn with little or no $
BUI'd guess WL/Out, but I haven't heard back yet

I've been accepted to
Alabama - 24000 a year
WUSTLSame, expecting $10-$15k
GW Congrats, I was unfortunately WL
Northeastern -8500 a year

Waitlisted at
Fordham-Just wrote LOCI to try and get off the waitlist bc I think their centers and being in Manhattan would be AMAZING.
Same spot as me
Rejected by (not surprising...)
Boalt
Northwestern

We have very similar numbers and applied at the same time, so I'll just throw out what I'm expecting...I didn't take as many T20 stabs as you, but I'll give my opinion...Also, if you'd consider Indiana, they'd probably throw 105-120 k your way, stip free.

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:28 am

IMO, in at Emory and Indiana for sure; probably WashU.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:26 pm

I applied to some of the same schools with a 3.3/169

Good to hear you got WUSTL. I really want Hastings, so we'll see how that goes. Update plz when you hear from them!

LttleBlakDress

Bronze

Post by LttleBlakDress » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:45 pm

I got into AU and rejected by Georgetown this Friday. That doesn't really change anything with my decision process, although it reinforces my general feeling of what the hell was I thinking when I applied to UVA/Duke/Texas. (I don't think I'm likely to get in anywhere ranked higher than WUSTL but at least with those other schools I got fee wavers or they were close to home, so I can justify having taken the time to apply a little more.)

Thanks for the advice guys and I hope you all have fabulous cycles!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”