wondering if i sold myself short 3.46, 170, phd

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
snldude

wondering if i sold myself short 3.46, 170, phd

Postby snldude » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:25 am

Under the advice of law school predictor, I only applied to schools that were a bit of a reach and a couple that I just wanted to go to.

So far I'm in at UVA, UCLA, Vandy, GW and U of Toronto

And I haven't been WLd or rejected anywhere yet. However, it looks like I'm going to be paying sticker at most of these places.

It seems that my phd may have allowed schools to overlook my weak gpa, something I did not anticipate. But I'm thinking, if I'm going to be paying sticker at these schools, maybe I could be paying sticker at a higher ranked school, like Chicago or Boalt. Or would law school predictor be right, and I'm a deny there? Although I'm old, I suppose I could always wait another year and do that. Does this make sense?
Last edited by snldude on Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Re: wondering if i sold myself short 3.46, 170, phd

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:28 am

What are the job prospects for Toronto graduates ? Where do you prefer to live & work ? To which other law schools did you apply ? In which field do you have a PhD ? Are any merit scholarship offers still possible ?
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

HowdyYall

Postby HowdyYall » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:29 am

you're already gonna be that creepy old guy lugging four kids around campus, so what's another year :) . I think youre right about that Phd causing some of the T6 to overlook the GPA. UVA is a pretty damn good school though brobeans....

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:31 am

If you are okay with waiting another year, then dont go to school, and re apply. You will not know if you get in unless you try. IF there is a school that you got into, and you like the offer, then take it. THere is still a chance that you wont get into those schools next year. You will have to revamp your personal statement for the schools you allready applied to, but otherwise, you should get accepted again next cycle. Just remember to apply early in the cylce and see how it goes.

its up to you. If you are happy with how your cycle is going now, and are willing to go to a school that accepted you- then go. If not, its only another 12 months. If you have a family or significant other to consider, talk to them about it first. Otherwise, do whatever makes you happy and comfortable.

snldude

Postby snldude » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:39 am

CanadianWolf wrote:What are the job prospects for Toronto graduates ? Where do you prefer to live & work ? To which other law schools did you apply ? In which field do you have a PhD ? Are any merit scholarship offers still possible ?

I also applied to UBC, Lewis and Clark, Northwestern and Georgetown. I think I have a strong chance at UBC and L&C, and good shot of getting into at least one of NW and Georgetown.

I'm most interested working in academia, but it would be cool to work at a NY firm for a few years. I understand UVA could open up opportunities for some really interesting and important clerkships. I'd also be quite happy to just live in Vancouver or Toronto for the rest of my life. However, the canadian schools may be out as it looks like I won't have Canadian residency in time for L1 and thus would have to pay international tuition entirely from private loans. With the risk of being denied residency and having to do that all three years. Ouch.

I guess I'm most worried about living with the what if of having potentially gone to a chicago or berkeley at pretty much the same price. And it sounds like that is a possibility.

ETA: my phd is in the social sciences. merit $ is still a possibility (although a longshot) at everything except UVA, UofT, UCLA, and GW

snldude

Postby snldude » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:44 am

northwood wrote:If you are okay with waiting another year, then dont go to school, and re apply. You will not know if you get in unless you try. IF there is a school that you got into, and you like the offer, then take it. THere is still a chance that you wont get into those schools next year. You will have to revamp your personal statement for the schools you allready applied to, but otherwise, you should get accepted again next cycle. Just remember to apply early in the cylce and see how it goes.

its up to you. If you are happy with how your cycle is going now, and are willing to go to a school that accepted you- then go. If not, its only another 12 months. If you have a family or significant other to consider, talk to them about it first. Otherwise, do whatever makes you happy and comfortable.

This is very good advice - thanks northwood.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:06 pm

you did get some sweet schools.....

just saying

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:11 pm

Apply & see. Hopefully you will receive at least a waitlist which should be comforting if you decide to wait a year.

The Brainalist

Postby The Brainalist » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:15 pm

Not too late to apply to more schools.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:54 pm

All the schools you got into were within a reasonable range to apply considering how they weight things. Boalt probably wouldn't happen but could because they are more holistic. The t6, probably, wouldn't happen. While you had a good cycle for your numbers, it was in no way surprising.

snldude

Postby snldude » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:30 am

The Brainalist wrote:Not too late to apply to more schools.

Yeah, but if I got rejected, it would be hard to say if it was timing or just not being the kind of candidate they are looking for.

tinman

Postby tinman » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:35 am

snldude wrote:
The Brainalist wrote:Not too late to apply to more schools.

Yeah, but if I got rejected, it would be hard to say if it was timing or just not being the kind of candidate they are looking for.

This. I know a lot of people who applied to Yale in February and were accepted. I don't think late timing really hurts you at Yale. UVA and UCLA are awesome: not only great schools but fun places to live.

I'd just apply to everything you might possible prefer to UVA. I think applying late screws you more outside the T14 (i.e., people with fairly strong credentials that end up striking out everywhere); but you are already in T14 range. No sense in waiting. Not sure that law school is a great investment these days, but no use putting it off if you are sure you want to go ... that is, unless you want to go for the Canadian residency. My numbers were in range for any U.S. school and I thought very seriously about applying to UBC. Vancouver kicks ass. Realized I didn't want to entirely abandon the U.S., but it was a decision at least.

Good luck !

$$$$$$

Postby $$$$$$ » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:25 am

uva is a top 10 law school and has better employment prospects than berkeley. There are people at uva with PHd's from some very prestigious universities, oh, and you only have a median lsat score threre. you are in no way selling yourself short

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:24 pm

Don't worry about residency in Canada....after a law degree you will get an automatic 3 year working visa, and i THINK with master's level and up education you are on an automatic path to becoming a "landed immigrant"

Return to “What are my chances?”