crash and burn or flying high?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
andyrew

crash and burn or flying high?

Postby andyrew » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:43 pm

Hello all,

On the advice of my friend who started at UVA this last semester, I'm considering making the switch to IP law from engineering. Working as a consultant at an engineering firm for about 2.5 years now.

Reasons for considering IP Law:

If I'm going to work at a job everyday, I would prefer a bit more compensation...
From my conversations with my friend about the nature of law theory, it sounds quite logical and well structured, akin to engineering or science, which I like.
It seems that IP law deals with engineering R&D mostly, the data produced from R&D interests me....

Apparently I would be a "splitter" due to my GPA:

UCSD

BSME (Mechanical Engineering)

overall gpa: 2.798

http://www.lawpad.com/gpa_calculator/

LSAC calculator GPA: 2.75

Have not taken LSAT yet... Aiming for ~172

GRE:
780/800 quantitative
660/800 english
(took GRE one time, decent probability of getting 800 on quant(math) if retake, I realize GRE is not directly pertinent, but perhaps this can be used as an indicator of possible LSAT success? I'm willing to put in however much work is required to get that seemingly magical 170+)

From research am considering:
Northwestern/UVA/Michigan/Georgetown

From what I've read so far, my decision (for schools and whether to apply) will be entirely based on my LSAT score.

A seemingly common line of thought: t14 or nothing.

Questions:
For IP is t14 necessary to a decent chance of employment?
Does it make a big difference what sort of engineering degree? (EE vs ME vs Civil...)

Thanks!
Last edited by andyrew on Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

champsound

Re: crash and burn or flying high?

Postby champsound » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:55 pm

I'm no expert here on IP or anything, but from what I've gathered you would either want to have some sort of graduate degree in engineering, like an MS or something at least to get any sort of real job in IP, especially if you don't break the T14. If you don't go to like the T25ish or so without a grad degree, I'd just say forget it completely, you'll never get a job, or at least one that makes more than you probably do now.

That said, your GPA might be problematic in getting in the T14, I'd say you would want to aim a little higher with that LSAT score. I think the real work experience will help you a lot with the GPA problem and you should look at Northwestern, because apparently they are all about work experience and don't care about GPA from what I've seen on TLS.

andyrew

Re: crash and burn or flying high?

Postby andyrew » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:04 pm

champsound wrote:I'm no expert here on IP or anything, but from what I've gathered you would either want to have some sort of graduate degree in engineering, like an MS or something at least to get any sort of real job in IP, especially if you don't break the T14. If you don't go to like the T25ish or so without a grad degree, I'd just say forget it completely, you'll never get a job, or at least one that makes more than you probably do now.

One of the reasons I consider an IP law degree is due to my poor GPA... Unfortunately the GRE doesn't carry that much weight when applying for Master's programs in mechanical engineering, and my 2.5 years of work experience doesn't overcome a 2.798 GPA either... In contrast the t14 schools I'm considering are all about the LSAT/work experience.

Does anyone know whether the type of engineering degree matters to adcoms? (Mechanical vs EE cs Civil, etc)?

If I had to rank relative "demand" for engineering type degrees:

CSE> EE > ME > Civil/structural

But this would be in the engineering world and may not have any correlation to admissions...

Return to “What are my chances?”