overcommitted to ECs/internship during UG

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Skibum347

overcommitted to ECs/internship during UG

Postby Skibum347 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:29 pm

I recently graduated from a reasonably strong undergrad institution (USC, UCLA, NYU) with a 3.43 GPA with a degree in economics.

Going to school on one of America's largest cities I had ample internship and work opportunities while in school. I was interested in the entertainment industry and using school connections dived in and interned and also worked for some of the big 4 networks and movie studios. By my senior year I was working as a casting assistant for one of the big 4 networks doing casting pilots for many series that recently premiered.

I thought I wanted a career in the entertainment industry so work experience and connections took priority over academics. I was still taking max credits and was working 30-35 hours a week so naturally my grades suffered during my senior year.

Once the glamor factor wore off I started hating it and wanted out.

While I know of course a high GPA and academic credentials would have been preferable now given my current goals I'm curious if my work experience/softs that I gained at the grave expense of about -.2 off my GPA would be of any interest to a T14 Law School.

Since graduating I interned with my congressman's communications department and have started working as a ski instructor at a famous ski resort in Colorado.

d34d9823

Re: overcommitted to ECs/internship during UG

Postby d34d9823 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:34 pm

Skibum347 wrote:While I know of course a high GPA and academic credentials would have been preferable now given my current goals I'm curious if my work experience/softs that I gained at the grave expense of about -.2 off my GPA would be of any interest to a T14 Law School.

Sorry, dude, no one will believe whatever your made up in your head GPA is. There are, shockingly, many people who have impressive work experience and stellar GPAs.

That said, schools do value experiences that highlight your talent and work ethic. Write it up well, and it may help your chances.

dddhhh

Postby dddhhh » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:35 pm

While your GPA can be explained with an addendum, and it is impressive that you worked 35 hours senior year...most applicants to the T-14 are going to have strong softs/ECs along with strong GPA/LSAT. What is your LSAT score?

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:03 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:There are, shockingly, many people who have impressive work experience and stellar GPAs.

That said, schools do value experiences that highlight your talent and work ethic. Write it up well, and it may help your chances.

Truth. Leaving what looks like a strong career trajectory in the entertainment biz to become a ski instructor two states away is likely to set off more bells than a marginal drop in GPA.

That said, if the difference in GPA is 3.1 v. 2.9, you may be fucked by the proverbial UGPA floor.

ATR

Postby ATR » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:19 pm

Compensate for your GPA by scoring 170+ on the LSAT.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:24 pm

atresia wrote:Compensate for your GPA by scoring 170+ on the LSAT.

This - I worked 30hrs/week through undergrad and got a 3.85. No one cared because my LSAT wasn't good enough.

KibblesAndVick

Postby KibblesAndVick » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:33 pm

If it's any consolation, you traded a higher GPA for something you can actually put on an application. I traded down and all I have to show for it are some drunk pictures from freshman year.

If you crush the LSAT no one will really care. Study hard and overcompensate for a less than perfect GPA.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:38 pm

KibblesAndVick wrote: Post.

QF nomination for "best username"

KibblesAndVick

Postby KibblesAndVick » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:52 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
KibblesAndVick wrote: Post.

QF nomination for "best username"

It was the name of my fantasy football team last year. I drafted Mike Vick with my last pick and left him on my bench as a joke the entire season. This year my team name was "It'sMikeVickInABox". However, I decided to take the league more seriously and thought I couldn't afford to waste a bench spot on Mike Vick. I would have won my league if I hadn't taken it seriously...

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:05 am

Blindmelon wrote:

This - I worked 30hrs/week through undergrad and got a 3.85. No one cared because my LSAT wasn't good enough.

Every student I know wastes more than 30 hrs a week. Working 30hrs a week is not enough for an excuse to say it dropped your gpa. Time managment skills, brah.

Skibum347

Postby Skibum347 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:03 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:

Every student I know wastes more than 30 hrs a week. Working 30hrs a week is not enough for an excuse to say it dropped your gpa. Time managment skills, brah.

Working on LSATs for past 2 weeks. Did my first time LR section, only -1 so I'm starting to feel pretty confident I should be able to perform well seeing as I am taking them in June.

To speak in my defense regarding my GPA. As one poster so accurately observed, many students waste 30 hours a week, including myself. I didn't mean to imply it was impossible for me to have come out with a strong gpa and maintain my work schedule, only that I didn't. With better time management and discipline balancing both would be easy.

Return to “What are my chances?”