3.6/161/URM Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
sajla

New

3.6/161/URM

Post by sajla » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:31 am

Chance me...

3.6 GPA from a top 25 school
LSAT: 160 then 161 in dec
URM: central american

Berkeley
Michigan
Northwestern
UVA
Duke
UCLA
USC
UC Davis
Hastings
Loyola
USD
Southwestern

ATR

Silver

Re: 3.6/161/URM

Post by ATR » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

sajla wrote:Chance me...

Berkeley
Michigan
Northwestern
UVA
Duke
UCLA
USC
UC Davis
Hastings
Loyola
USD
Southwestern
I'm not particularly knowledgeable about URM admissions, but I can tell you that 3.6/161 URM should not settle for the schools I crossed out.

NorCalBruin

Silver

Post by NorCalBruin » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:03 am

First of all, "Central American" is not URM in the full sense, unless you are literally from Puerto Rico or Mexico. You will get a boost for being Hispanic, but it will not be quite as big. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.

Furthermore, Artresia, I usually agree with your "chancings" but I disagree with your crossing out USD. USD is the "top dawg" in the San Diego market. Sure, they will have to compete with T14 students and students coming down from USC or UCLA, but it's generally the best school that operates in that market. There is also not much of a big law market in SD, but we have to respect and assume that biglaw isn't for everyone and that OP isnt necessarily seeking it. Now, seeing as how I don't think OP's scores are good enough to land him or her at UCLA or USC (and given that Berkeley is unlikely, no matter how good your scores are), and given that from the schools listed it appears OP wants to practice in California, I think taking a scholarship at USD is a pretty viable option.

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:07 am

NorCalBruin wrote:First of all, "Central American" is not URM in the full sense, unless you are literally from Puerto Rico or Mexico. You will get a boost for being Hispanic, but it will not be quite as big. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.

Furthermore, Artresia, I usually agree with your "chancings" but I disagree with your crossing out USD. USD is the "top dawg" in the San Diego market. Sure, they will have to compete with T14 students and students coming down from USC or UCLA, but it's generally the best school that operates in that market. There is also not much of a big law market in SD, but we have to respect and assume that biglaw isn't for everyone and that OP isnt necessarily seeking it. Now, seeing as how I don't think OP's scores are good enough to land him or her at UCLA or USC (and given that Berkeley is unlikely, no matter how good your scores are), and given that from the schools listed it appears OP wants to practice in California, I think taking a scholarship at USD is a pretty viable option.
I stand corrected on the USD issue. I can tell you're knowledgeable about the San Diego market (and I'm clearly not). I just remembering reading the TLS article on the school, which I believe was scathing with respect to the school's employment prospects.

Also, good point on the ambiguity of OP's URM status.

sojasoph

Bronze

Post by sojasoph » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:08 am

sajla wrote:Chance me...

Berkeley
Michigan
Northwestern
UVA
Duke

UCLA
USC
UC Davis
Hastings
Loyola
USD
Southwestern
no chance at the ones struck out, i suggest a retake and apply next cycle.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”